CUSA tied to us?

mgfan

I saw this asked in another thread and it never got answered. Can cusa take away its invite to us or any of the new members? Are SMU, Houston, UCF still technically in CUSA? Can we send ODU packing and the other upstarts? (I'm sure SMU is saying the same thing about us)

• Upvote 1

Could anything happen to CUSA like what happened to the Big East? Could longer term current members decide to leave the conference, taking the name and bids with them?

The Catholic 7 made up 3/4 of what was left of the Big East until the new members joined July 1. There are only 6 leaving CUSA so unless they get some of the left behind to support them they don't have the votes.

I think that right, but this is very confusing. The one think for certain is a group of lawyers is going to make a lot of money off of all this.

• Upvote 1

I don't think they would uninvite people although the Big East did that to Temple a couple of years ago it seems. I think it would take a majority vote.

I believe Temple was a member of the Big East who was playing games with their football program by cutting it to the bone. They basically dared the Abigail East to kick them out and they did. The Sun Belt did the same thing to UT Pan Am when they tried to use probation as an excuse to make deep cuts in their anemic basketball budget.

Those were both punishments which is different from uninviting a school to join.

I bet in the conference by-laws there are ways to kick schools out. There is probably a process like the Big East followed to kick out Temple. Majority type vote to put a school on notice/action plan. Super majority to actually kick them out. As much as people are knee jerking and saying throw the newest guys out, remember by CUSA taking swift action on replacement it boxed the other conferences in.

• Upvote 1

The Catholic 7 made up 3/4 of what was left of the Big East until the new members joined July 1. There are only 6 leaving CUSA so unless they get some of the left behind to support them they don't have the votes.

I think that right, but this is very confusing. The one think for certain is a group of lawyers is going to make a lot of money off of all this.

Not to nitpick but the Catholic 7 are 70% of the voting membership of the Big East, a little more than the 2/3 required for change. There are only three remaining members with votes. The others forfeited their voting rights when they gave notice that they were leaving.

I bet in the conference by-laws there are ways to kick schools out. There is probably a process like the Big East followed to kick out Temple. Majority type vote to put a school on notice/action plan. Super majority to actually kick them out.As much as people are knee jerking and saying throw the newest guys out, remember by CUSA taking swift action on replacement it boxed the other conferences in.

The process for Temple is that they were admitted as an associate member and the league had membership standards that had to be met for associates. Each year the commissioner had to certify that associate members either met the standards or had a viable plan to meet said standards, the members then (by majority vote) had to agree to continue their membership. One year they meet and the Temple president says "Didn't meet and never will and nothing we do will change that." So the commissioner said pull the plug and the league voted to not continue their membership.

When the Sun Belt formed, ULM was admitted for football on a two-year rolling basis. If no one did anything the deal automatically rolled over each year, but a majority vote would have stopped the renewal.

Very different from being a full member.

Could anything happen to CUSA like what happened to the Big East? Could longer term current members decide to leave the conference, taking the name and bids with them?

It's happened before. Thats how the Mountain West was formed when original WAC schools decided they didn't like a 16 team expanded WAC and left to form a new conference.

• Upvote 1

It's happened before. Thats how the Mountain West was formed when original WAC schools decided they didn't like a 16 team expanded WAC and left to form a new conference.

The fascinating thing is that the basketball schools had to have voted for Tulane, then took a breath and said, Man that's a bad idea.

UNT I think is in good shape, I'm not so sure everyone CUSA has added can say that.