More detail on the BE non football options

Harry

Sorry to start another thread on this but GLTG ruined the last one with his usual novel.

Looking to me like they may be forced to join another conference because they could lose their autobid for a long time (8 years) in not just basketball but other non revenue sports. Interesting discussion:

http://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?showtopic=44342

That link is very interesting in that it seems there are huge hurdles to creating a brand new conference. It would seem that if the Big East disbands then the remaining schools would be best served finding a currently conference to join instead of creating a new one. However, if the "Basketball 7" simply leave the conference then the Big East could continue and raid the CUSA to build up their numbers. I wonder if the "Basketball 7" could use the threat of disbanding in order to not have to pay an exit fee?

I think it wind up with the Big East continuing and simply raiding more CUSA schools. Then CUSA really will be Sun Belt 2.0 and the Sun Belt will be really, really hurting.

Disbanding avoids a fee because they didn't leave the conference. The conference by the required vote elected to cease operations.

My predictions.

1. They leave.

2. They don't join an existing league.

3. NCAA rules quickly they meet continuity and get an autobid.

4. As dominos fall the NCAA "acting in the best interest of the membership" changes the autobid criteria in such a way that it clears the path for the formation of new leagues.

4. As dominos fall the NCAA "acting in the best interest of the membership" changes the autobid criteria in such a way that it clears the path for the formation of new leagues.

Ugh. I hadn't even thought of that but it is something the NCAA could do.

Question though, wouldn't there be a lot of pressure from the power conferences not to do that, since in reality they would be the most likely to pick up the slot the autobid league would take?

If a new league isn't formed, the bulk of these teams end up in non power conferences. Moving more and more people away from the big slice of the pie, isn't that what the power conferences want?

• Upvote 1

Ugh. I hadn't even thought of that but it is something the NCAA could do.

Question though, wouldn't there be a lot of pressure from the power conferences not to do that, since in reality they would be the most likely to pick up the slot the autobid league would take?

If a new league isn't formed, the bulk of these teams end up in non power conferences. Moving more and more people away from the big slice of the pie, isn't that what the power conferences want?

Let's say they change two things.

This is purely a hypo.

First what it takes to be an auto bid league.

One way to do it. Any conference is entitled to an automatic bid if it has 12 members who have been classified Division I for 10 years.

Second way to do it. Leave the rules exactly as they are and add a new subparagraph. ) The continuity of membership provisions shall not apply to any conference sponsoring 14 sports when at least least 8 members of the conference are members of FBS.

Second deal with reclassification. A bona fide invite may only be extended by a conference where at least 6 members that have competed together for the prior 5 years vote to extend such an invitation.

That plugs the WAC hole.