ArkSt - Gus Malzahn to Auburn

Ross Roberts

One thing about playing in the Belt, it doesn't take long to have your dreams trashed. All the talk that the Belt is already even if not superior to CUSA and there is no reason for any Belt team to jump and yet like anyone with a brain would guess; any team will be gone in a second if able. A Belt HC with better offers staying, not likely to happen.

The thing about it is that losing coaches to better offers means normally that the program did something right. In the case of ASU, it was strange he took the job in the first place so I guess there was hope that he might stay to accomplish something.

I'm thinking about the 4 or 5 star running back that transferred to Ark St. from Auburn, but wasn't given an exemption to play right away last year.

Maybe he will transfer back to Auburn?

Are you talking about the one who was suspended at Auburn; then went to Ark State and was then suspended for being arrested for drugs and a gun in his car? I believe his name was Mike Dyer.

If so, I think not.

Gotta say, ASU firing Roberts a few years back really benefited Hugh Freeze and Malzahn. Roberts built that team over the course of several years and had assembled the best front 7 and QB in the conference. Those 2 guys came in and parlayed it into better jobs. In the end, I definitely feel bad for ASU....esp. since their donors stepped up last year to dramatically raise coaching salaries. I wonder if they will now cut their budget back to where they had been, or if they will bring someone in with a big enough name to warrant keeping their budgets the same?

• Upvote 1