Conference Realigment: Kissing Your Sister

shaft

All of the conference realigment this week has been disappointing as a college football fan.

A 14 team Big Ten does little for anyone. Yeah, they make more money with the NY/NJ market access, but the 14 team arrangement just means less games between very traditional rivals.

The new Big East looks a like like the old CUSA. I just don't see where the money is, when they keep talking about this big tv deal. Are the networks really lining up for SDSU vs ECU?

ACC with Louisville is alright, but Louisville without Cincy & Memphis just seems odd.

The new CUSA is really disappointing. As a UNT fan I thought the western division was going to be perfect for us. Compact regional division with winnable games. The new division was really going to cut down on travel cost for other sports, and maybe for once his program could get ahead economically and do things like schedule less body bag/pay day games.

I also hates the CUSA divisions. The East looks awful. Two start up programs in ODU, UNC-C, two very new programs in FAU, FIU, a traditional bottom feeder in UAB and either MTSU or SMiss. And as a UNT fan I hate the idea of playing Tulsa & SMiss every year. Yeah, SMissis in the toilet this year, but they are traditionally one of the best mid-majors along with Tulsa. These division just seem really loop-sided.

The new CUSA is feeling alot like kissing your sister.

• Upvote 3

As a UNT fan I thought the western division was going to be perfect for us. Compact regional division with winnable games. The new division was really going to cut down on travel cost for other sports, and maybe for once his program could get ahead economically and do things like schedule less body bag/pay day games.

How has this changed? Athletically, Tulane was by far the worst member of CUSA. Also one of the furthest away in the west division.

Edited by aprice

I'm sure the new CUSA will have a better payout and more bowl options than the SBC, but trading Tulane for either MUTS or SMiss as a conference mate spreads the Western footprint out a bit.

Our new conference ride is feeling a little more like a used car, than a new one. Its still an improvement over the old buick that is the SBC. Guess I just had my hopes up for New Orleans road trips.

The Big 10 move is about mirroring the SEC and getting to 14 teams (7 team divisions)

The SEC is very clever in how they set up their league. They all but assured that they will have a team in the title game every year.

Take Georgia, first off you dont play anyone in your 4 non conference games. Then you have the 6 division games which typically shakes out to 2 tough games and 4 easy. You have your 1 built in annual crossover game (Auburn) and play 1 rotating home & home game against the other division. This year they got Miss.

By this set up Georgia will only play Alabama & LSU every 12 years.

Some years Georgia will get stuck with LSU or Alabama, but in those years South Carolina will have a cupcake crossover and it goes on and on and on...They duke it out in the SEC title game for a spot in the National Title Game.

As a conference they dont care who gets to the title game, but they are all but assured that every year they will have a team in the $$$.

• Upvote 1

The Big 10 move is about mirroring the SEC and getting to 14 teams (7 team divisions)

The SEC is very clever in how they set up their league. They all but assured that they will have a team in the title game every year.

Take Georgia, first off you dont play anyone in your 4 non conference games. Then you have the 6 division games which typically shakes out to 2 tough games and 4 easy. You have your 1 built in annual crossover game (Auburn) and play 1 rotating home & home game against the other division. This year they got Miss.

By this set up Georgia will only play Alabama & LSU every 12 years.

Some years Georgia will get stuck with LSU or Alabama, but in those years South Carolina will have a cupcake crossover and it goes on and on and on...They duke it out in the SEC title game for a spot in the National Title Game.

As a conference they dont care who gets to the title game, but they are all but assured that every year they will have a team in the $$$.

Those sneaky bastards.... Well play played SEC... Well played

• Upvote 1