Tulane to the Big East

shaft

I don't see what Tulane brings to the Big East unless its the N.O. Bowl,warm up game for the Sugar Bowl.New Orleans is 3rd largest city in Louisiana behind Baton Rouge and I think Shreveport/Bossier City, and no longer has a newspaper that prints daily. I see no reason to push the button and add schools just because we lost 2. We still have a presence in Louisiana and N. Carolina.

I believe there are 2 private schools heading to the Big East who seem to be playing NCAA FBS level football because their older alums (some of whom now deceased) are wanting to sustain such programs at that level, but just not sure the present student bodies at those 2 respective schools give one hoot or a hollar about their having a football program at all.

Still damn funny to me how these 2 school can draw flies at home even during winning seasons but still rely on their glory years of over 60 years to get what I think are underserved conference advances today with some running these conferences (such as in the Big East) who were not even alive during those 2 schools best decades making the decisions on who goes forward and those who remain where they are. Schools like Southern Miss are the biggest losers in these kind of scenarios.

Keep in mind, mere speculation with the aforementioned thoughts.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I don't see what Tulane brings to the Big East unless its the N.O. Bowl,warm up game for the Sugar Bowl.New Orleans is 3rd largest city in Louisiana behind Baton Rouge and I think Shreveport/Bossier City

N.O. is still the largest TV market in Louisiana, and by a pretty good margin.

New Orleans metropolitan area - 1,167,764

Baton Rouge metropolitan area - 802,484

Shreveport/Bossier City metropolitan area - just over 400,000

(Figures as of the 2010 Census)

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

I would be susprised if New Orleans was larger than Shreveport/Bossier post Katrina, and my Louisiana friends tell me Baton Rouge has over 1 million population. At any rate, what ever T.V. market they have is greater than La.Tech's. I just see no logic in the manner in which the Big East is expanding, but then again they didn't ask for my input. ECU they can have, but I am sorry to see Tulane go.Good news for us is that La. Tech's tenure in the Eastern Division of CUSA just got longer. CUSA and Sun Belt should probably sit down and realine both conferences in a regional manner. I don't see the MWC as a viable option for either conference's members, because if it was UTEP would have been long gone.Just an old man's opinion.