McCarney begins team’s evaluation process

Harry

North Texas was only two days removed from the end of the second season of the Dan McCarney era Monday, and the Mean Green’s head coach was already well into a process he has talked about over the past few weeks.

His evaluation of where UNT stands and where it is headed is in full swing.

McCarney met Sunday with each of the 21 players who will be seniors next season and talked Monday with the 17 seniors who completed their college careers in a 25-24 loss to Western Kentucky.

UNT’s second-year head coach will also meet with each of his assistant coaches in the next few days while evaluating what went right and what went wrong in the program’s final season in the Sun Belt. UNT finished 4-8 and continued to show signs of progress under McCarney, who led the Mean Green to its second consecutive winning season at home.

Despite some milestones along the way, UNT won one fewer game than it did in its first season under McCarney and will head into its first season in Conference USA riding a streak of eight consecutive losing seasons.

“What I do is evaluate everything that has been done,” McCarney said. “I evaluate myself as a head coach, all my coordinators, the assistants, the GAs [graduate assistants], the interns, our strength staff, our equipment staff, really everything. You are trying to critique and improve.”

One of UNT’s top priorities is recruiting. McCarney said he and his assistants would hit the road in the hope that they can improve the Mean Green’s talent level with a solid 2013 class.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc....ion-process.ece