Late Night UNT-WKU Thoughts from Vito

Harry

I have made the trip back to the hotel down in Nashville and have had some time to formulate a few thoughts.

There really is no way around it. This season was pretty disappointing overall. People had really high hopes for UNT’s final season in the Sun Belt after a 5-7 finish last year only to see UNT go 4-8.

I picked UNT to finish better than it did (stay tuned for the annual “Get Your Rear on the Record” winners), but had some reservations to begin with that came home to roost.

UNT didn’t have a whole lot to work with offensively to start with and lost two key players in running back Antoinne Jimmerson and wide receiver Brelan Chancellor. Derek Thompson is an average Sun Belt quarterback, which makes him look like a superstar by UNT standards, but it does present problems.

Thompson didn’t come out of the locker room after the game. He was pretty upset about the pick 6 he threw.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/11/late-night-unt-wku-thoughts.html/

Brett, I don't think anybody has thrown Canales under the bus. He is running the offense just like Mac wants him to do. It resembles nothing like we saw when Canales got here and continued during his interim run.

Mac is not Hayden Fry - his whole coaching technique more resembles Darrel Dickie Philosophy - hand off right - hand off left - 3rd and 8 - throw a 40 yard past - if intercepted then it is just like a punt. There is no allowing the QB to read and react to 9 or 10 players in the box with a new formation or play call - no use of option plays to get around a 9 in the box formation - This is Basic 101 Offensive philosophy - Mac gets thrown under the bus for this kind of mentality - it lost us the Troy game -5 times in red zone and no score and todays game - we went into offensive shell in 4th quarter. Mac could have 30 red shirt 3 ton gorillas and if they are not able to read and react and placed in proper play sets - they will not be able to win - this is all on mac.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Mac is not Hayden Fry - his whole coaching technique more resembles Darrel Dickie Philosophy - hand off right - hand off left - 3rd and 8 - throw a 40 yard past - if intercepted then it is just like a punt. There is no allowing the QB to read and react to 9 or 10 players in the box with a new formation or play call - no use of option plays to get around a 9 in the box formation - This is Basic 101 Offensive philosophy - Mac gets thrown under the bus for this kind of mentality - it lost us the Troy game -5 times in red zone and no score and todays game - we went into offensive shell in 4th quarter. Mac could have 30 red shirt 3 ton gorillas and if they are not able to read and react and placed in proper play sets - they will not be able to win - this is all on mac.

Darryl Dickey's 3rd and 8 play was the draw, not 40 yard pass. If he taught us anything, it's that "there are 3 things that can happen when you pass, and two of them are bad."

How dare you compare the Cyclone Savior to Darrell Dickey!!! When we lined up on offense under Dickey everyone in the stadium knew we were running the ball on first down. Under the Cyclone Savior we line up on first down and....oh....I guess I see your point.

• Upvote 2

How dare you compare the Cyclone Savior to Darrell Dickey!!! When we lined up on offense under Dickey everyone in the stadium knew we were running the ball on first down. Under the Cyclone Savior we line up on first down and....oh....I guess I see your point.

Cyclone Savior best nickiname ever!!!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Derek Thompson is an average Sun Belt quarterback, which makes him look like a superstar by UNT standards, but it does present problems.

Read more: http://meangreenblog...-thoughts.html/

I generally think Vito is on target with his blog, but this I disagree with. Vito keeps making the point about how bad we have been at QB. Both Vizza and Riley (when healthy) were better QB's than what DT has been able to provide. We were actually ok at QB under Dodge, it's just everything else was a train wreck.

• Upvote 1