UNT vs. WKU Watching Party

UNT 90 Grad

This will be the last football watching party of the year at Rudy's BBQ in Allen (on Central Expressway by Cabela's). We were able to put together a watching party for each away game this year, with the exception of the Houston game (because the nazis at CSS consider Dallas to be in the same region as Houston and blacked it out).

Kickoff is at noon. Doors will open to the back room at 11:30am. I have a bunch of North Texas door prizes to give away, including t-shirts, NT christmas ornaments, a UNT notebook and iPad holder, and much, much more (courtesy of the UNT Alumni Association and the UNT Admissions Department). Rudy's will be offering their usual beer special for Mean Green fans as well. The last watching party had to bleed over into the next room, so get there early for the best seats. This is a free event and open to the public. Avoid the left over Turkey and come have some great BBQ!

Go Mean Green! Beat the Hilltoppers!

While you're there, be sure and ask if you have any questions about the Alumni Association or the Mean Green Club. I'd be glad to help!!

• Upvote 1

Just a civil question. Why is there never a watching party at the Rudy's in Denton?

Grant.UNT helped me with several of the events in Allen. He is in the process of moving to Denton County and has vowed to organize watching parties in Denton next year. We just need someone to step up for Tarrant County too.

I guess the direct answer is that no one has recently stepped up consistantly to organize them, although give KRAM1 credit for putting together the watching party at the Alumni Pavilion this year for the K-State game. I know there were a few at the Pour House a few years ago.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

The few cannot always do for the many. Folks who want this sort of thing to happen each and every time might want to consider joining with the few who do the majority of the work time and time again. Trust me...it is a little more work than most folks think. Love to do this, but just cannot do it every time. Would welcome any help that anyone would like to give...Silver? Greenjoe? Anyone?

We are currently planning two other events..check out the Alumni area of GMG.Com if you haven't seen them as yet. Sorry we simply cannot do everything with the limited number of volunteers we can count on.....

• Upvote 2

The few cannot always do for the many. Folks who want this sort of thing to happen each and every time might want to consider joining with the few who do the majority of the work time and time again. Trust me...it is a little more work than most folks think. Love to do this, but just cannot do it every time. Would welcome any help that anyone would like to give...Silver? Greenjoe? Anyone?

We are currently planning two other events..check out the Alumni area of GMG.Com if you haven't seen them as yet. Sorry we simply cannot do everything with the limited number of volunteers we can count on.....

Mark, I would certainly love to talk to Rob about hosting away-game watch parties at the Pavilion and would equally love to set up the facility to do so. The only thing would be the membership issue.

Now of course, for in-state away games, we should be encouraging everyone even remotely available to actually go to those games. Perhaps organized county chapter car-bus-train-plane!?-pooling parties?

• Upvote 1

I didn't ask why the alumni association (or you) do not put on a watching party at Rudy's in Denton, I just asked why there was never one there. Especially since the coaches show is there every week. Plus I just thought that it was odd that there was no watching party at the Rudy's that happens to be right across the highway from the University.

Edited by SilverEagle

I didn't ask why the alumni association (or you) do not put on a watching party at Rudy's in Denton, I just asked why there was never one there. Especially since the coaches show is there every week. Plus I just thought that it was odd that there was no watching party at the Rudy's that happens to be right across the highway from the University.

Well...the short answer again is that the few cannot always do for the many. Thought that was fairly clear. These things do not happen on their own and the businesses rarely initiate this sort of activity. Of course anyone is welcome to volunteer their time and often some of their own money to set these up. That's the answer as to "why", Silver....too many who want these things set up so they can just come, have a great time, and leave. Too few folks to do the leg work, the set up and the take down and clean up after folks leave. If you are talking about the Pavilion, that takes several hours to set up and then take down. Then there is the purchase of the feed, etc.

It does not have to be the Alumni Assoc. or a chapter setting these things up...lots of places, such as Rudy's might be willing to help. Just need the volunteers like those who have stepped up in Collin County with the Alumni Collin County Chapter to bring these events to life.

Those of us who do volunteer...do it because we love doing it....but, we need help...we need more people to step up and help. Lots of folks offer suggestions for what someone else should do or do better the next time. And, some of the suggestions are great and well thought out...some not so much. But, rarely do those doing the suggesting or asking step up to say..."hey, I'll get that watch party thing going in Tarrant County, Johnson County or at Rudy's in Denton, etc.

Not complaining nor am I pointing fingers, just explaining that these things take time, money and volunteers....heck, even getting the word out at times can be time consuming enough. Would love to see watch parties all over the metroplex for every away game. Happy to help anyone get something going....we have some folks with some experience in doing this sort of thing and we can help...just cannot do it ALL. The other factor is turnout...it is hard to keep doing events when so few folks actually show up. The more folks turn out, the more viable doing these events becomes.

Silver...hope this helps to better answer your question.

• Upvote 2

I was never able to make it out to Allen this year , but thank you for doing this UNT 90 Grad.

I really enjoy doing it. It's a lot more fun for me than watching the game at home, even when you throw in the work to set up and clean up. There are always a great group of regulars as well as new folks to enjoy the game with that show up each time, from students to retirees.

• Upvote 1

....so, not enough people interested in attending and/or motivated enough to help set up a watching party in Denton.

Would you be of the said unmotivated to help or would you like to be the one to help make this happen for each away game? I would help as my time allows, but need someone else to carry the majority of the load for each and every away game. Seriously, would love to work with you on this. Interested?

• Upvote 1

Would you be of the said unmotivated to help or would you like to be the one to help make this happen for each away game? I would help as my time allows, but need someone else to carry the majority of the load for each and every away game. Seriously, would love to work with you on this. Interested?

For next football season....sure.

• Upvote 1

For next football season....sure.

Way cool, Silver....I'll get with you before the next season....exactly what the Mean Green Nation needs....more folks actually willing to step up and be part of the solution. Really appreciate the willingness here to step up and help, Silver! Thank You Mucho!

Way cool, Silver....I'll get with you before the next season....exactly what the Mean Green Nation needs....more folks actually willing to step up and be part of the solution. Really appreciate the willingness here to step up and help, Silver! Thank You Mucho!

I know Grant.UNT was interested in doing this too. I'm sure he'd be eager to help.