Mac WKU Press Conference:My notes

Harry

Please note these are my best notes and much is paraphrased from Cpach McCarney's answers to media questions.

Willie Taggart has done a really good job of recruiting. Didn't care about stars just found good high school talent and developed it. They have a chance to extend their season and we don't. The bring it, they are physical and we defend the run well so it should be a good matchup for the fans.

These kids have fought all year long - there is a lot of pride in this program. Anytime you can go against a team that is bowl eligible - there is a lot of motivation there for our team. Hopefully that will bring out the best in all of us.

We have lots of things in the future that are very positive. We are going to try and sign 20 guys this signing period, this does not include the transfer like Pegram, Berglund. We have a lot of recruiting to do.

There are only 6 guys left that are seniors. We want to do what we can to end them on a bright note.

The Sun Belt has been good to North Texas. I took over a program that bottomed out at the same time the Sun Belt was having what I think is their best season. I'm proud to be associated with this conference. I don't think this is the last time we will play a Sun Belt team.

We embrace the past. We started a new tradition with honorary captains, where we embrace the former players. We thank them and we appreciate them and continue to.

The group of people who truly care about North Texas has expanded since I have been there and we will continue to build on this.

It's almost unheard of having a home opener at North Texas and with that happening next season there is a chance for us to really market this program. I had a lot to do with that happening and I think it is very important. Very important to have a home opener for so many reason and not try to build up something just to have your kids jump on a plane somewhere to start every season.

It looks good that Idaho will happen to open the season. I think they are looking for a new head coach.

I'm so thankful that these kids (seniors) came into my life... *chokes up* I think these seniors are really special. Stout hearts strong minds... You have to have guys with perseverance, resolve lets get through this. these seniors set a tremendous example. It wasn't an easy road for them. they bought in..they really did.

We have not made enough game changing plays on Saturdays. We would have loved to have gone to a bowl, the extra practices are invaluable. We hope to do that very soon; we would have liked to do it this year. We would like to be bowl qualified next season. Those are dreams that you want to become a reality. We will keep reaching for those expectations and goals. It's been a long time since that happened here.

Two things really hurt us this year, turnovers and red zone scoring percentages. We have to improve those areas.

Chancellor was our best and when we lost him it really hurt, and Delgado was out some; we had a couple of younger receivers that we were hoping for more on. We really need to address that area in this recruiting period.

Our offensive line was a strength this season. Those guys did a good job. I thought we had a tremendous season at running back and we won't miss a beat our rb position is really in good position for next year. It's the inconsistency of our football team that has really hurt us. I think we have a good system. It's just a couple of plays here and there that could have led to more wins.

We have got recruit more quality D-I guys and we are working hard on that.

Anytime you have more interceptions than touchdown passes. Our run game is in the top 3 or 4. South Alabama came in here in a goal line defense look all game and we still were able to run on them.

I think everything is in place here at North Texas for us to be successful. Players are going to come out of redshirts, we have some top notch transfers that will help us. We have a good plan with Coach Frank Wentrich on strength and conditioning in the off season.

We have to be at our best evaluating and recruiting the next few weeks.

I saw a video online last week of a speech. The guy was a motivational speaker (I WAS SO AMPED), talking about how life can seem like such a freaking mess. Maybe everything is a disaster, but you might closer than you think to righting the ship.

He brought up golf: you can swing and hit the ball with perfect form, but if you are a millimeter off on contact that ball can miss the mark by hundreds of yards.

I really hope this program turns it around, and I don't know if Mac is the guy that will get it done. But I love this staff, the way they sell the program. Maybe if we can just get a handful of guys at key positions that are even marginally (a millimeter) better performers than what we have, and make a few tweaks in the game planning (which is easier when you have more options to work with)....well, it could be the difference between a 4 win season and a 9 win season.

• Upvote 3

Thanks, Harry.

Coach Mac mentions that they are going to sign 20 players . . . based on the other comments with it, it sounds like we have 5 transfers taking up the other 5 schollies. I'm trying to think, Who are the 5? Berglund, Terrell, Pegram . . . who else? Or is there someone grayshirting?

Thanks, Harry.

Coach Mac mentions that they are going to sign 20 players . . . based on the other comments with it, it sounds like we have 5 transfers taking up the other 5 schollies. I'm trying to think, Who are the 5? Berglund, Terrell, Pegram . . . who else? Or is there someone grayshirting?

John Chelf comes to mind but I also wonder if they don't do something in the mid term juco signing period. That's when they landed Powers before and that worked out pretty well.

John Chelf comes to mind but I also wonder if they don't do something in the mid term juco signing period. That's when they landed Powers before and that worked out pretty well.

I assumed that the 20 included JUCO signees. Surely he's open to signing more than one or two JUCO players(?!)

• Upvote 1

I am really excited about Hines, Tucker and all of the redshirts. Any idea if they will look to move Thompson back to DT?

I know Derek hasn't had a good season at quarterback but I don't think he'd make a good defensive tackle. Or did Derek change his name but they may change it back to Derek Thompson?

I'm so confused.