will cusa change

mgfan

With rutgers going to the big ten, it is reported the big east will replace them. can we expect ecu to make the move to the big east? If they do who will replace ecu?

It wouldn't surprise me for this to happen. Assuming that Rutgers leaves for the Big Ten and that UConn looks to be the replacement for Maryland in the ACC, as well as Louisville and Cincinnati both begging to get into the Big XII, I could see the Big East doing one of three things: add a few more teams, hold the line with who is there so that they don't have to share anymore $$$, or the basketball schools in that league just breakaway and keep the Big East name, which fits its original status.

If they add teams, look for them to go hard after CUSA and MWC teams: ECU, AFA (again), Fresno State, and Southern Miss will be decent targets. Who knows who would join, but I know that ECU would love to go there. Maybe USM, too. If those two teams leave CUSA, I'm certain that MTSU and another SBC team would get a lot of attention to move up.

I think big east looks to the west for replacements so Temple can move from west to east. I bet Fresno & AFA are added. MWC backfills with TX St & tries to get UTEP. If UTEP doesn't come they'll take NMSU.

Edited by MDH

Considering that the Big East no longer has an AQ slot in the new playoff system, and that the ACC is no where near done, I really think that UH and UCF would add a great deal to the CUSA, but we need to be careful not to take any of the BE's dead weight. Memphis would be a good add for basketball.

Considering that the Big East no longer has an AQ slot in the new playoff system, and that the ACC is no where near done, I really think that UH and UCF would add a great deal to the CUSA, but we need to be careful not to take any of the BE's dead weight. Memphis would be a good add for basketball.

You sound like a Troy fan talking about the SBC making a play for Southern Miss

• Upvote 1

You sound like a Troy fan talking about the SBC making a play for Southern Miss

Yes and no. At least Southern MIss is in the Sun Belt footprint. With the Big East losing an AQ spot and subsequently the AQ money, and will see a significant decrease in TV money as well, they are becoming a less and less desireable option for teams obviously out of the footprint. The Big East has 100% come back to the pack. The ACC has managed to stay connected to the top tier. The Big 12, Pac 12, Big 10/12/14 and SEC are the clear frontrunners at this point.

Yes and no. At least Southern MIss is in the Sun Belt footprint. With the Big East losing an AQ spot and subsequently the AQ money, and will see a significant decrease in TV money as well, they are becoming a less and less desireable option for teams obviously out of the footprint. The Big East has 100% come back to the pack. The ACC has managed to stay connected to the top tier. The Big 12, Pac 12, Big 10/12/14 and SEC are the clear frontrunners at this point.

There's still a pecking order. Big East may or may not have come back to the pack, but even if they have they're at the front of it.

• Upvote 1

Strong this year but they only have 3 bowl tie ins.

Mac:

Little Caesars- vs. Big10

GoDaddy- vs. SBC

Potato Bowl- vs. Wac

CUSA:

Liberty- SEC or BE

Hawai'i- vs. MWC

Armed Forces- vs. MWC

Beef O' Brady's- BE

Military- ACC or Army

New Orleans- SBC

Good point, but right now, MAC seems more stable. The bowl tie ins could change after the conference shuffle.

I might be misunderstanding you, but you do know that Rice is still in C-USA, right?

yeah. got distracted mid-post .It was a combination of "I'd like Houston back in CUSA", and "I'd like the Houston/Rice combo in our division"

I regret the error.

Also, I was looking forward to little to no conference realignment talk this off-season. Thanks a lot Big Tweleventeen.

Edited by aztecskin
  • Upvote 1

Big East seems screwed footballwise..... Maybe ACC picks up a replacement from there (Louisville?)... and Big-12 goes to 12 again... (Houston and someone..can't see SMU getting there) after that who knows... The Big East will survive as a basketball conf. but what happens to the football guys ... I think SMU is screwed.

I posted this on a different thread,but I think I'm on to something.

A Big East implosion would be awesome.

Rutgers to the Big Ten (+4) takes a lot of money out of the BE tv deal.

Maryland to the Big Ten creates a hole in the ACC for UCONN.

Boise and SDSU are rethinking the MWC with BYU.

The Big 12 may make a play for Louisville and Cincy before the ACC gets greedy and goes for 16.

The MWC may want UTEP to go to 14.

That leaves CUSA to take back Houston, SMU, USF, UCF, Memphis to go to 18.

Navy stays independent and Temple goes back to the MAC.

And there is one less conference for the BCS access group to pay money to.