Our SBC Years

shaft

Wasn't the reason MTSU was not invited to CUSA because they are in the same geographic area as Vandy and Tenn.? Too much competition for audience?

If NT has a rival now THAT is the team.

Okay, but now that we're no longer playing each other, it's pretty plain that they will no longer be our rival.

• Upvote 1

As we close out our run in the Belt, I think we can take a look at for what it was.

The SBC gave us a D1 home, when we wouldn't have fit anywhere else. It gave us a place to grow and adjust to D1.

The Big West was a failure and didn't prepare for D1 after our years in fcs obscurity.

The SBC gave us a taste of success that we wouldn't have found anywhere else, which in turn sparked the movement to take our facilities to the level they are now. Say what you want about the Belt, the first 4 years were special and they are the reason we have a new stadium, and an administration that cares about atheletics.

• Upvote 2

The only thing I liked about playing ULM, NLU was that I have nice memories of trips out there. The first was a bus ride with Mean Green crazy students when I was a freshman in Clark Hall. It was the playoffs and we packed that bus in an attempt to cheer the Green deep into the playoffs. We lost the game but the trip was a blast. I then went to two tailgates out there, most recently last week and it was fun. They have a sweet tailgate area and a drive thru daquiri bar across from campus. Outstanding! NLU was also the closest thing I have ever felt to a rivalry back in the Southland days.

GMG

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that was a typo. Fixed it.

Now that our SBC run is finally over I think its safe to say...

We really benefited from the western defectors. Troy and Damarcus Ware had our number. Our coaching was just horrible to not do better against the Florida start ups. We played a much of .500 ball against no-name teams, because in truth we were a no-name team. The SBC gave us a chance to change that, build better facilities, and start taking advantage of the DFW market.

It doesn't look like CUSA is going to be the siliver bullet we hoped it would be, but its going to do a lot for the program.

Annual games with UTEP, Tulsa, UTSA, Rice, LA Tech, and SMiss should do wonders for the fan base a recruiting. We will finally be playing games agaisnt teams fans have heard of, with fans that travel. The increase in conference payouts and closer games should generate enough revenue to take one of the payday/bodybags off the schedule.

A friend of mine who says he is close to the Tulsa program thinks there is some talk them about moving to the MAC. They are really unhappy about the loss of Tulane, and not wild about addition of both F_U's.I personally just think its a knee jerk reaction, but truth is CUSA lost 6 programs to Big East which were replaced by 2 WAC and 4 Belt schools. We may have improved our ambitions for more reagionalization, but truth be told the new CUSA is not much better that the Belt and may not be as good as the MAC.Certainly not on a par at this point with MWC or Big East, which is o.k. for now.Just saying that its not over till its over.

A friend of mine who says he is close to the Tulsa program thinks there is some talk them about moving to the MAC. They are really unhappy about the loss of Tulane, and not wild about addition of both F_U's.I personally just think its a knee jerk reaction, but truth is CUSA lost 6 programs to Big East which were replaced by 2 WAC and 4 Belt schools. We may have improved our ambitions for more reagionalization, but truth be told the new CUSA is not much better that the Belt and may not be as good as the MAC.Certainly not on a par at this point with MWC or Big East, which is o.k. for now.Just saying that its not over till its over.

But who cares? NIU is in a BCS bowl in a non-AQ conference. We can do it.

They have one good thing going for them...they could win the attendance trophy every year. I can't wait for them to go to Eastern Michigan and play before 4,000 fans.

Speaking of Tulane, their president, Scott Cowan, just made the head of my Benedict Arnold list. He visited our facilities, was very complimentary of them, and spoke of incorporating parts into the new Tulane stadium. He also was the leader in encouraging CUSA to stick together and we could overcome this. Then he degrades the conference by accepting three entry level universities. Forget that they are good universities that will in time be excellent members but they should not have been chosen in 2012. The capper, however, was to bolt at the first chance. What a hypocrite!

They have one good thing going for them...they could win the attendance trophy every year. I can't wait for them to go to Eastern Michigan and play before 4,000 fans.

Speaking of Tulane, their president, Scott Cowan, just made the head of my Benedict Arnold list. He visited our facilities, was very complimentary of them, and spoke of incorporating parts into the new Tulane stadium. He also was the leader in encouraging CUSA to stick together and we could overcome this. Then he degrades the conference by accepting three entry level universities. Forget that they are good universities that will in time be excellent members but they should not have been chosen in 2012. The capper, however, was to bolt at the first chance. What a hypocrite!

It is amazing the negativity on this board toward the Florida C-USA schools. Look at our record against them--not exactly dominant huh? They bring in a combined area of nearly 5 million people, and we whine about losing Tulane? Personally I'll take Middle over ECU as well as they bring the Nashville market. Quickly where is ECU located? Has anyone ever been there? FAU's stadium is just as nice as ours , and they definitely had the hottest cheerleaders in the SBC. Take a closer look at the Florida schools and think about the success every Florida start up has had. I think FAU and MTSU for Tulane and ECU improved C-USA. Now Tulsa would be a great loss. Before they consider the MAC they need to look and see how OHIO, Central Michigan, and Kent State does against the SBC in bowls. Arky State will annihilate the Golden flashes in Mobile!!!

• Upvote 1

The fact that we sucked for 6 seasons doesn't make F_U good. I'm also not sold on their ability to deliver the Florida market.

Tulane has a better reputation, and their leaving as unsettled Tulsa.

Losing Tulane was bad for the Western Division teams; loss of a recognizable name, close travel partner, destination city, replaced with a competitive imbalance, spreads out the division.

Back to the SBC, one thing we learned was our conference gaves us a home, but our conferences mates never really brought us anything.

Yeah, that was a typo. Fixed it.

Now that our SBC run is finally over I think its safe to say...

We really benefited from the western defectors. Troy and Damarcus Ware had our number. Our coaching was just horrible to not do better against the Florida start ups. We played a much of .500 ball against no-name teams, because in truth we were a no-name team. The SBC gave us a chance to change that, build better facilities, and start taking advantage of the DFW market.

It doesn't look like CUSA is going to be the siliver bullet we hoped it would be, but its going to do a lot for the program.

Annual games with UTEP, Tulsa, UTSA, Rice, LA Tech, and SMiss should do wonders for the fan base a recruiting. We will finally be playing games agaisnt teams fans have heard of, with fans that travel. The increase in conference payouts and closer games should generate enough revenue to take one of the payday/bodybags off the schedule.

Actually we didn't start really losing to Troy until Demarcus ware was a Dallas cowboy. He was just about a non factor when we played them. It's easy to run to the other side of the field.

The fact that we sucked for 6 seasons doesn't make F_U good. I'm also not sold on their ability to deliver the Florida market.

Tulane has a better reputation, and their leaving as unsettled Tulsa.

Losing Tulane was bad for the Western Division teams; loss of a recognizable name, close travel partner, destination city, replaced with a competitive imbalance, spreads out the division.

Back to the SBC, one thing we learned was our conference gaves us a home, but our conferences mates never really brought us anything.

Totally agree. Losing Tulane and ECU hurt CUSA's perception. And we had better keep an eye on the MWC, Tulsa, and UTEP. If they bolt and CUSA backfills with more Sun Belt teams or startups then UNT will have gone full circle. Our "crack" athletic director and President Rawlins had better be putting out feelers to the MWC. We need to be aggressive during this realignment.