TMS Race Sneaks Up On Bonfire Event...No Football Team Tonight

FirefightnRick

Hear from an ex-UNT player during the game...he reads this board but does not post. He said when he was playing for UNT the team NEVER went to the bonfire...NEVER! Also said that most big time programs he knows of do not have players attending such events. Just from someone who has actually "been there done that" at UNT.

But, tylermeangreen pretty much hit it on the head here...really really stretching for something to complain about...but, what else is new?

Mean Green Fan 1 : "Im right, im always right and you dont know what your talking about, i asked a cousins sister in laws friend and they agree so im right"

Mean Green Fan 2 : " we have been doing everything wrong for the last 50 years, and i thought we were doing it right but one little thing happened so im pissed and now im mad cause its always like this so im right"

This hear sums up about 95% of what i read on this board and 100% of what is in this thread. Your all wrong. Thanks.

Hear from an ex-UNT player during the game...he reads this board but does not post. He said when he was playing for UNT the team NEVER went to the bonfire...NEVER! Also said that most big time programs he knows of do not have players attending such events. Just from someone who has actually "been there done that" at UNT.

But, tylermeangreen pretty much hit it on the head here...really really stretching for something to complain about...but, what else is new?

That's funny you bring up the past. It was great getting reacquainted with members of the 2002 team we honored tonight at halftime. I doubt you ever saw them play a single down, but know they were one of our greatest teams in history and possibly fielded one of the all time greatest defenses this university ever produced.

Interestingly, during their string of championships they NEVER missed a bonfire pep rally and NEVER stayed in a hotel the night prior to a home game.

On a side note, condolences to the family of Ol'GreenGuts who missed his team being honored today because his grandmother passed away and her funeral was this afternoon. He told me to tell everyone he wished he could have been there and to say hi to the guys and to everyone here.

Matt we missed you buddy!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

We actually agree on something. I am not sure I really understand the stink about them not being at the thing. I follow one other college team, and they are never at the pep rallys or in homecoming parades.

Side note: I do find it a little funny that we want Denton's support, but we send our team to a hotel not in the city.

• Upvote 1

Does your other team's school have a bonfire for homecoming, a 1929 Model A, a M1841 6 Pound Cannon that fires inside your stadium or a motorized 2 ton bell for their TRADITIONS?

Rick

Cause we do and I built over half this stuff and I know the team.

Did A&M attend their's back in the day?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

That's funny you bring up the past. It was great getting reacquainted with members of the 2002 team we honored tonight at halftime. I doubt you ever saw them play a single down, but know they were one of our greatest teams in history and possibly fielded one of the all time greatest defenses this university ever produced...

You sir are a piece of work!

• Upvote 2

That's funny you bring up the past. It was great getting reacquainted with members of the 2002 team we honored tonight at halftime. I doubt you ever saw them play a single down, but know they were one of our greatest teams in history and possibly fielded one of the all time greatest defenses this university ever produced.

Interestingly, during their string of championships they NEVER missed a bonfire pep rally and NEVER stayed in a hotel the night prior to a home game.

Rick

First...congratulations on actually posting something that pretty wasn't just "cut and pasted" from some other source.

Second...once more you prove you know very little about what you are talking about...saw many of those 2000-2001-2002 team games..(and before and after those years).in fact we have a "adopted grandson" that played on that team...and one was our son's best man in his wedding. Anyone who missed seeing that team played missed one of the greatest UNT ever produced...on that we agree 100%.

Third...I was watching games at Fouts when you were in grade school.

But...carry on....glad to see you are now carrying on the tradition of complaing about stuff in both boards...by the way...did you make your Mean Green Club donation this year too late to get you name in the football program? In looking through the donor names I seem to have missed your name...but do know that some folks missed the deadline for the program printing this year. That's probably why your name is not listed, right?

• Upvote 5

at the same instant your player is fielding the kickoff

I absolutely wanted to puke over that and am embarrassed about it, and I apologize. It's not the first time this year that it has happened. Big props to the kid who was able to not crap himself and still catch the ball.

Please know that I have addressed this very thing with school officials and have offered a very simple solution for it to no avail.

There was to be a "Load and Firing" practice prior to the season that all university officials agreed to last year and told me would happen. I pointed out to them how extremely critical for safety and lability reasons why this needed to happen. But it never did this year, and I have never been contacted by anyone asking for help. I assumed back in August they had a handle on it. Apparently they don't. I did learn that the crew watched a video of me teaching it from the year before. However, watching a video isn't "Load and Firing" practice.

So along with all of our other warts.....(...scratchy P.A. System when the Umpire explains penalties,...Our "highly structured down-to-the-minute" football team continuing to miss a timely appearance for the Mean Green March....etc), we will simply have to live with it till someone who can address it does so.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I absolutely wanted to puke over that and am embarrassed about it, and I apologize. It's not the first time this year that it has happened. Big props to the kid who was able to not crap himself and still catch the ball.

Please know that I have addressed this very thing with school officials and have offered a very simple solution for it to no avail.

There was to be a "Load and Firing" practice prior to the season that all university officials agreed to last year and told me would happen. I pointed out to them how extremely critical for safety and lability reasons why this needed to happen. But it never did this year, and I have never been contacted by anyone asking for help. I assumed back in August they had a handle on it. Apparently they don't. I did learn that the crew watched a video of me teaching it from the year before. However, watching a video isn't "Load and Firing" practice.

So along with all of our other warts.....(...scratchy P.A. System when the Umpire explains penalties,...Our "highly structured down-to-the-minute" football team continuing to miss a timely appearance for the Mean Green March....etc), we will simply have to live with it till someone who can address it does so.

Rick

I wasn't posting this as a jab at you. I just hadn't seen anybody mention it and your post was a perfect setup. As others posted, it was a good job by the runner to not get rattled.

• Upvote 1

Does your other team's school have a bonfire for homecoming, a 1929 Model A, a M1841 6 Pound Cannon that fires inside your stadium or a motorized 2 ton bell for their TRADITIONS?

Rick

Does the Aggie football team attend yell practice at midnight for home games? I guess I am in the minority here - I don't need the football team at the bonfire. In fact, do they attend the pep-rally's for the other home games? Because I really don't care if they attend those either.

Does the Aggie football team attend yell practice at midnight for home games? I guess I am in the minority here - I don't need the football team at the bonfire. In fact, do they attend the pep-rally's for the other home games? Because I really don't care if they attend those either.

Ok good. You've been able to answer your own question about why you don't understand why this has even been discussed here.

Tradition.

It has been a tradition at North Texas for the team to be at the homecoming bonfire. Maybe its not at Arkansas, it is at North Texas. If it wasn't there wouldnt have ever been a reason for DMac to explain/apologize in a video to the students who had spent a good bit of a week preparing bonfire, yell like hell,...etc, for not being there due to a scheduling conflict in the first place.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Well, when I was going to High School that's who the pep rally's were mainly for. I know it helps get the student body revved up, but I'm pretty sure that pep rallies are for the team. So if they don't come, what's the purpose?

• Upvote 1

Ok good. You've been able to answer your own question about why you don't understand why this has even been discussed here.

Tradition.

It has been a tradition at North Texas for the team to be at the homecoming bonfire. Maybe its not at Arkansas, it is at North Texas. If it wasn't there wouldnt have ever been a reason for DMac to explain/apologize in a video to the students who had spent a good bit of a week preparing bonfire, yell like hell,...etc, for not being there due to a scheduling conflict in the first place.

Rick

Fair enough.

• Upvote 1

Well, when I was going to High School that's who the pep rally's were mainly for. I know it helps get the student body revved up, but I'm pretty sure that pep rallies are for the team. So if they don't come, what's the purpose?

Well I ask because I really don't know. That is what it was for in high school as well, but I don't ever remember our team being at our pep rally at UNT.

• Upvote 1

Well I ask because I really don't know. That is what it was for in high school as well, but I don't ever remember our team being at our pep rally at UNT.

Heck... I don't even remember our team being at some of the games when I was at UNT.

ZING!!!

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 6

I have just come to realize that there are a couple of alums on here that used to be heavily involved and wanted NT to have a big time program. Now that the department has progressed beyond requiring their input they feel left behind.

Edit: Please don't read this as not admiring their dedication through the years, but at some point they have to just let go and let the professionals take over.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

During my time at NT during the Corky Nelson and Dennis Parker years, The football team was at every Homecoming bonfire I attended (covered), heck Scott Davis even spoke one year. Imagine that the starting quarterback speaking at a football spirit ralley. Boggles the mind why they would take time out to give the fans their time.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1