Monday afternoon hoops notes (UNT loses one for 2-4 weeks)

Brett Vito

Who replaces Pat in starting lineup?

I was at 1st half of practice today & it was really hard to tell. Benford used several different rotations. Maybe he is still trying to figure that out.

Franklin worked more with the guards / wings than he did with the post

There is another kid out there who is a walk on , looks to be about 6'3?

I think PJ will see a lot of minutes

• Upvote 2

I was at 1st half of practice today & it was really hard to tell. Benford used several different rotations. Maybe he is still trying to figure that out.

Franklin worked more with the guards / wings than he did with the post

There is another kid out there who is a walk on , looks to be about 6'3?

I think PJ will see a lot of minutes

Pj most definately will. Coach Benford was very excited about him and jordan Williams when i got a chance to speak with him.

Just from watching the team in the rec center, I would guess you will see a lot of CJ, Jordan Williams /Alzee, Jordan Williams/Patton, Mitchell, and Coleman.

You are right about so many rotations being available.

• Upvote 1

The strength of this team is depth. It just got shallower for the next 2 to 4 weeks. A month in which we have the opportunity to beat Creighton at home, make the pre-season NIT finals, and possibly be ranked for the 1st time in the modern era.

This hurts, make no mistake.

• Upvote 3

The strength of this team is depth. It just got shallower for the next 2 to 4 weeks. A month in which we have the opportunity to beat Creighton at home, make the pre-season NIT finals, and possibly be ranked for the 1st time in the modern era.

This hurts, make no mistake.

That may be, but the only thing that will matter in the end is how we are in March. If we do well then, early season won't matter. In fact, having others with more playing time right now might pay off in the long-run.
  • Upvote 1

That may be, but the only thing that will matter in the end is how we are in March. If we do well then, early season won't matter. In fact, having others with more playing time right now might pay off in the long-run.

Not quite true. A Crighton win, a K-state win, a hot start could all add up to an impressive "resume". The kind of resume that would likely weigh more heavily with the selection committee than even a SBC tourney title. Wins in our first ten games and a SBC tourney finals appearance would land a much better seed than a SBC tourney title.

• Upvote 4

I hate that we lost Patton. Sound like he was doing quit well if true that he earned a starting position. But all things said, I think we will be alright. Tony Mitchell + Chris Jones + Jordon Williams + Roger Franklin are awesome core to the team... .then throw in Alzee Williams, Jacob Holeman, Brandon Walton and, from the sounds of it, PJ Hardwick and Keith Coleman... and that doesn't even cover all of our players... we are stout.

• Upvote 1

A few notes from today's practice

Benford really stresses Defense. The intensity level is much higher during these drills

Even tho there are several different rotations used , CJ,Jordan,Roger,Jacob & TM were running fast breaks together while the 2nd unit consisted of PJ,Alzee,Walton ,Niko & Coleman

That in no way means this will be the lineup , just what I noticed

PJ's nickname is Bulldog

Overlander sat out , injury ? Didn't look too serious

Patton was able to put a little weight on his knee today , more than Monday

Not sure if he'll ever get any PT , but Austin Franklin ( walk on from Plano) is full of energy & bounce. He's a solid player as walk on

• Upvote 3

A few notes from today's practice

Benford really stresses Defense. The intensity level is much higher during these drills

Even tho there are several different rotations used , CJ,Jordan,Roger,Jacob & TM were running fast breaks together while the 2nd unit consisted of PJ,Alzee,Walton ,Niko & Coleman

That in no way means this will be the lineup , just what I noticed

PJ's nickname is Bulldog

Overlander sat out , injury ? Didn't look too serious

Patton was able to put a little weight on his knee today , more than Monday

Not sure if he'll ever get any PT , but Austin Franklin ( walk on from Plano) is full of energy & bounce. He's a solid player as walk on

Thanks for the update.