Carlos Harris?

Harry

The truth is we haven't had very many true freshman make impacts. Busby and Davis are really the only two that have seen significant playing time while filling in at safety for Lairamie Lee. Lajaylin Smith and Jamal Marshall have played on special teams and Carlos Harris has played minimally. Coach Mac is redshirting everyone else, which is a lot.

Harris has already burned his redshirt so no point in keeping him on the bench now. I really want to see what he can do with the ball in the open field, maybe give him some looks at fielding punts? Tough job for a true freshman but he is a speedy guy so he has a chance at that position.

• Upvote 1

There was one play in the red zone of the Troy game I remember Carlos Harris open and the QB threw it to Delgado in double coverage. Not sure why he isn't on the field with chancellor at same time both look to be fast but we don't even keep our playmaker chancellor on the field much.

Ha. His dad, Carlos Harris Sr, is wondering why we haven't seen more of him. CHjr has been targeted a couple times. Once, they (incorrectly) ruled his catch a drop. He officially has only one catch for no yards.

He gets out there when we go four and five wide which is the problem. We often go with two and three tight ends.

• Upvote 1

The truth is we haven't had very many true freshman make impacts. Busby and Davis are really the only two that have seen significant playing time while filling in at safety for Lairamie Lee. Lajaylin Smith and Jamal Marshall have played on special teams and Carlos Harris has played minimally. Coach Mac is redshirting everyone else, which is a lot.

Harris has already burned his redshirt so no point in keeping him on the bench now. I really want to see what he can do with the ball in the open field, maybe give him some looks at fielding punts? Tough job for a true freshman but he is a speedy guy so he has a chance at that position.

They don't even let Chancellor return punts. The ones he's allowed to catch are always a fair catch. The rest of the time he just lets them roll. And since Chancellor has proven many times that he can make a play, this has to be about either...A) fear of Chancellor getting hurt by exposing him to extra hits, or B) our very intense coach is so obsessive about not having turn-overs that he views punt returns as too high risk.

And (IMHO) if the answer is B, then we have a coach who has crossed over from intense to obsessive-compulsive.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ha. His dad, Carlos Harris Sr, is wondering why we haven't seen more of him. CHjr has been targeted a couple times. Once, they (incorrectly) ruled his catch a drop. He officially has only one catch for no yards.

He gets out there when we go four and five wide which is the problem. We often go with two and three tight ends.

In all fairness, every father thinks that about his son.

They don't even let Chancellor return punts. The ones he's allowed to catch is always a fair catch. The rest of the time he just lets them roll. And since Chancellor has proven many times that he can make a play, this has to be about either...A) fear of Chancellor getting hurt by exposing him to extra hits, or B) our very intense coach is so obsessive about not having turn-overs that he views punt returns as too high risk.

And (IMHO) if the answer is B, then we have a coach who has crossed over from intense to obsessive-compulsive.

Yeah, I don't think it's realistic to see Harris returning punts this year, I just wanted to create a little banter. But I personally am against using one of your top two offensive playmakers on punt returns unless it is necessary, for more than just health concerns.

I think a player who isn't guaranteed to get the ball on the upcoming offensive possession might be more inclined to try and make a play with the punt. This could also be a dangerous mentality though. I never returned punts so I don't know personally, but the fact is Chancellor is not helping us win the field position battle so either mentality or personnel has to change or this could come back to haunt us.

• Upvote 1

They don't even let Chancellor return punts. The ones he's allowed to catch is always a fair catch. The rest of the time he just lets them roll. And since Chancellor has proven many times that he can make a play, this has to be about either...A) fear of Chancellor getting hurt by exposing him to extra hits, or B) our very intense coach is so obsessive about not having turn-overs that he views punt returns as too high risk.

Do we actually know that the coaches tell Chancellor not to return some kicks? The only thing I've heard is that the coaching staff has to push Chancellor to not fair catch so much. I suppose there are times when the coaching staff would want him not to take a chance with a return but it seems most of the time it's Chancellor that is too cautious.

• Upvote 1

In all fairness, every father thinks that about his son.

Oh yeah. Totally. I think we should put more playmakers on the field, give Brelan more touches and generally be more aggressive. That doesn't totally comport with Mac's philosophy. In all fairness, it works. Running the ball and tightly controlling the game has put us in positions to win. Methinks that when Mac trusts the depth of the squad a bit more, he will open up the game a bit more.

Also, is Jim Jim better than Carlos Harris? Is putting the ball in #22's hands going to get us less yards than #9? I figure that is what is going on here. Carlos is likely going to have to take a five yard route to the house for him to win more time. Also, DT will have to not stare down BC for CH to get a look.

They don't even let Chancellor return punts. The ones he's allowed to catch are always a fair catch. The rest of the time he just lets them roll. And since Chancellor has proven many times that he can make a play, this has to be about either...A) fear of Chancellor getting hurt by exposing him to extra hits, or B) our very intense coach is so obsessive about not having turn-overs that he views punt returns as too high risk.

Completely False Assumptions here. Chancellor not returning punts, Calling for Fair Catches, or not Fielding a punt is his choice to make. In fact, he has been ENCOURAGED by the coaches to step up his efforts to at least Field every punt in order to keep from making every opposing punter look like an All-American.

• Upvote 2

Completely False Assumptions here. Chancellor not returning punts, Calling for Fair Catches, or not Fielding a punt is his choice to make. In fact, he has been ENCOURAGED by the coaches to step up his efforts to at least Field every punt in order to keep from making every opposing punter look like an All-American.

His decisions to not field those two punts late in the ULL game could have turned out very badly for us. ULL got a little lucky that they did not bounce into endzone for touchbacks (especially the one that landed inside the 10), but things could have turned out much differently and he would have caught a lot more grief. Thankfully, everything worked out for us and we get to spend an extra week figuring out which bowl we are going to instead of arguing over whether we should add women's rowing or equestrian. Oh, wait...

Some of you actually believe that a fierce competitor like Chancellor is making the decision to not return or field all those punts? He (or possibly Delgado) is the most sure handed player on the team. For those of you who are not paying attention, Chancellor is a player who thinks that he can score every time he touches the ball. And based on past performances, including the two KO td's vs ULM, he has a point. And some of you still think he is the sole decision maker regarding fielding/not fielding punts? And he mostly chooses to not return and/or even try to field punts? Amazing.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Some of you actually believe that a fierce competitor like Chancellor is making the decision to not return or field all those punts? He (or possibly Delgado) is the most sure handed player on the team. For those of you who are not paying attention, Chancellor is a player who thinks that he can score every time he touches the ball. And based on past performances, including the two KO td's vs ULM, he has a point. And some of you still think he is the sole decision maker regarding fielding/not fielding punts? And he mostly chooses to not return and/or even try to field punts? Amazing.

We don't "think". We know with some certainty. It's been reported that the coaches have had to work with Chancellor to be more assertive on punts.

• Upvote 2