The Fix

shaft

This morning I was checking the stats on ESPN and clicked on their message board about the game and was disturbed by two things; the amount of racism, and the number of people claiming the game was fixed.

The fixed conspiracy focused on UNT wining and the refs flagging the last TD.

I've never really followed an ESPN board and was wondering if this was the norm or if anyone heard the same conspiracy nonsense.

Everytime I see a late unecessary run I think of that UNLV Baylor game many many years ago. Old school Mean Green will remember that game. It might have been the year the Rebels beat us. I believe it was UNLV attempting to run up the score and it backfired ugleeeeee on them.

GMG

I haven't read ESPN message boards in years, largely due to the inflated population of posters there who appear to be mouth-breathers with mullets.

Seriously.... most of those folks seem to say stuff that's stupid and makes me mad for no good reason, so I go where I can have some intelligent conversation and a little fun.

Everytime I see a late unecessary run I think of that UNLV Baylor game many many years ago. Old school Mean Green will remember that game. It might have been the year the Rebels beat us. I believe it was UNLV attempting to run up the score and it backfired ugleeeeee on them.

GMG

That game you speak of was in Waco. UNLV had beaten us the week before in Denton and they were losing 24-21 against Baylor with like 8 seconds left. Instead of taking a knee, Baylor ran a play to try and score a TD to run it up and the RB had the ball punched out from behind and it went straight into the arms of a UNLV DB in the Baylor end zone. That DB took off wunning and never got touched, as he ran it back 100+ yards for the winning TD. It pretty much ended any chance of Kevin Steele ever staying at Baylor after that debacle. His explanantion was that Baylor was trying to create a new "mindset" by running the ball and trying to score instead of taking a knee. To this day, it ranks up there as the most bizarre way to see a team lose a game. Only game that ended that crazily, to me, was the infamous Stanford-Cal game with the laterals and the band on the field.

There's another college game with a wild ending but I forgot the teams involved. One team scored a touchdown with just a couple of seconds remaining to take a one point lead. They went for two just in case something wild happened on the kickoff they couldn't lose on a field goal. Unfortunately, the defense intercepted the two point and ran it back for two point of their own to take the lead. Now the team that had scored the touchdown to take the lead, now found themselves down by one point and they had to kick off.

That's a tough way to lose a game.

I like that you're willing to Take a Risk, Tasty, but it's just not as funny the Second Time Around.

Can't believe I missed that... Shame on me.

How much is enough? I'd ask if anyone else was driven out, but I'm probably just digging my shame-hole deeper and deeper.