Thoughts from this week

emmitt01

1)When football season ends, however it ends up, basketball season will have more excitement. It just will.

2)Coach Benford put two teams out there to scrimmage on Monday. I recall commenting that EITHER of these starting fives would have a shot to win in the Sun Belt. We get to put all ten of these guys out there during the course of a game. And PJ didn't even play. Yes, we are ridiculously loaded.

3)I really like the Oak Street Drafthouse. More of a grown up feel than Fry. Nice atmosphere.

4)The camp out at Apogee was fun. I really think that these things could be positive memory makers if more people got on board. Hard to beat seeing our stadium first thing when you wake up.

5)I thought the crowd was right in line with what I expected. While I give kudos to the promotions that were employed (and there were MANY) I am still convinced that it was an issue of too little too late. We treated Texas Southern like it would sell itself and then didn't begin to really push a game that already had attendance detractors built in (weeknight, late, Belt foe) until AFTER we had laid an egg at Houston. Push people to secure tickets and put this game on their schedule at the beginning of the season...and they just might honor that commitment.

6)I give DT an "A" for yesterday. He was poised, didn't try to do too much and I even liked his overthrows. Often the man he tried to throw to was blanketed. I'll take an overthrow over a potential sack or pick trying to squeeze that ball in. Plus, if Brelan catches that deep ball DT has some very nice numbers to look at.

7)My player of the game? Will Atterberry. When we were down 14, his punts flipped the field several times. And when we were buried in the shadow of our end zone his punts hung up so that they got no return and went far enough that they didn't get the great field position that they surely expected.

8)The best thing I heard in passing yesterday...RV has plans to shut down the tailgating that continues on throughout the game. I sincerely hope this is true.

9)our defense came to play.

10)I will be back Nov 3. Loud, proud, and Mean Green.

• Upvote 2