Sooo are we still against coach Mac's rush heavy offense?

D-ry

Somewhere in my past I will admit to screaming "Throw the ball, Dickey!" at the top of my lungs on multiple occasions. This offense is "different" and we throw enough to balance, while controlling the clock. At least it doesn't feature draw plays on third-and-long. :flowers: It is ugly when it ain't workin' but it was workin' in the third and fourth quarters last night to perfection.

Somewhere the spirit of undead Daryl is still whispering "3 things happen can happen on passing plays and two of them are bad."

• Upvote 2

I think it depends.... I understand us running the ball a boatload early and when we are even or ahead late, and when the situation makes sense. That said, 3 runs up the middle 2 yards from our own endzone? The only reason we call that smart, is because it worked out this time. To me it was a gamble with the same risk as passing, and lower reward.

But like I said, having a lot of running to generally keep the defense off the field is not generally a bad thing.

• Upvote 1

Defense was off the field A LOT in the Houston game. Didn't matter. About 38 minutes our offense had the ball, yet we lost by 23. So much for wearing out the other team's defense.

I think DMac is ultra conservative on offense for 2 reasons: He fears the turnover and he knows he doesn't have playmakers right now.

It may be logical, but it's frustrating as hell.

• Upvote 1

My concern is that the announcers said we ran the ball on first down 75% of the time coming into this game. I don't want us to become too predictable, as I would guess that percentage went up after last night.

My one complaint was the ultra conservative play calls when we were backup on our 1.

But, it worked. I was thinking today it was the right thing to do at that time of the game, when we needed to badly to prevent them scoring a td.

Our red zone offense needs work, but unlike our losses, we won because other aspects of the game stepped up.

The D stopped giving up the big play (I know, a little luck)

We ran for 112 yards in one quarter against a D that allowed 107 per game coming in

Somebody besides Brelan contributed big time

Brelan didn't disappear.

This is not an all-or-nothing quick fix. It's going to be a close call race for the Belt title, because we are taking baby steps.

Edited by greenminer

Do you have the Pass Attempts and Rush Attempts per game? I think that would lean heavily towards the run but I could be wrong. I believe Mac wants to be balanced but may be leaning on the rush more now due to the talent available.

2012 to date:

197 pass attempts :: ~40%

297 carries :: ~60%

2011 total:

347 pass attempts :: ~42%

480 carries :: ~58%

2004 total:

250 pass attempts :: ~34%

491 carries :: ~ 66%

By plays called, it's still run heavy, but not as much. As far as production we're seeing more from the passing game.

• Upvote 1

I suspect you will see the % of rushing attempts go up the rest of the year since we only play SBC teams here on out. Remember last year against the MUTS? We attempted 7 passes and won by the largest margin EVER in a SBC game.

That being said, MAC's/Chico's offense is better and has little resemblance to Dickey/Flanagan ball. Dickey ball was just the worst to watch. If we couldn't run on a team it was game over.

I suspect you will see the % of rushing attempts go up the rest of the year since we only play SBC teams here on out. Remember last year against the MUTS? We attempted 7 passes and won by the largest margin EVER in a SBC game.

That is because we were ripping off 6, 7, 8 yards per carry. If it's working, fine. If not...

You have to have balance, plain and simple. We don't right now. Hopefully we will in the future.

Again, I get that Mac is trying to instill a physical mindset into his football team, but it is tough on those who have sat through losing season after losing season.

This may work next week. I don't think it works against Ark St., WKU or Monroe.

We shall see.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That is because we were ripping off 6, 7, 8 yards per carry. If it's working, fine. If not...

You have to have balance, plain and simple. We don't right now. Hopefully we will in the future.

Again, I get that Mac is trying to instill a physical mindset into his football team, but it is tough on those who have sat through losing season after losing season.

Regardless of whether or not it's "tough" on some people, it's absolutely the right way to go, because it plays into the strengths of this team's talents, and hides its flaws. Also, against teams that out-athlete you (SEE: EVERYONE), you don't want to get into a foot race (SEE: TODD DODGE) As demonstrated statistically, this is still far far away from the percentages you'd see with Dickey ball. The real test will be in recruiting. if we can't ever recruit up to the level of CUSA and beyond, it will absolutely fail, just as Dickey's did when recruiting slid. Wisconsin does fine with these percentages. We can, too. But we'll have to recruit up. And we'll have to execute.

• Upvote 3

Regardless of whether or not it's "tough" on some people, it's absolutely the right way to go, because it plays into the strengths of this team's talents, and hides its flaws. Also, against teams that out-athlete you (SEE: EVERYONE), you don't want to get into a foot race (SEE: TODD DODGE) As demonstrated statistically, this is still far far away from the percentages you'd see with Dickey ball. The real test will be in recruiting. if we can't ever recruit up to the level of CUSA and beyond, it will absolutely fail, just as Dickey's did when recruiting slid. Wisconsin does fine with these percentages. We can, too. But we'll have to recruit up. And we'll have to execute.

Obviously, if we were Wisconsin and could get Wisconsin talent, I would have no concern. We aren't.

I think at this level, it comes down to development as much as it does recruiting. Do you develop major college players that have raw talent, but for whatever reason, did not get recruited by the big programs (too small, too light, a step too slow)? Dodge was absolutely terrible about developing talent. Jury is still out on DMac. I think he can do it, but we are not Florida, S. Florida, or Iowa St. Yes, I know Iowa St. was bad when he took over, but at least they had the advantage of being in a major conference, so they had access to talent that we don't. Yes, I think he can do it, but the proof is in the pudding (i.e. winning seasons, bowl games, and eventually conference championships).

• Upvote 1

Don't care how its done but score. Everyone is happy now but if NT had lost, McCarney would have been ripped for his ultra conservative play on those two series from almost under NT's goal line. He was right as Atterberry and the defense played great to keep them from scoring more than 3. I think it was more dangerous running every time than it would have been to attempt a few low risk passes

I can't knock NT for not passing more, they just don't have the athletes at wrs. Having said that Delgado had a great game and Chancellor always delivers and the passing game has improved, they just need more play makers at the position.

• Upvote 2

Other teams have to account for our running game or we will just keep pounding them with the run.

That helps our passing game and keeps the defense off the field.

If we keep upgrading our recruiting UNT will become a really tough team.

We are headed in the right direction. Don't get too bogged down on one or two plays or one game for that matter.

Don't care how its done but score. Everyone is happy now but if NT had lost, McCarney would have been ripped for his ultra conservative play on those two series from almost under NT's goal line. He was right as Atterberry and the defense played great to keep them from scoring more than 3. I think it was more dangerous running every time than it would have been to attempt a few low risk passes

I can't knock NT for not passing more, they just don't have the athletes at wrs. Having said that Delgado had a great game and Chancellor always delivers and the passing game has improved, they just need more play makers at the position.

And if a couple of plays went our way in the Troy game, we could have easily won, which would have changed a lot of people's view of that game. Reality is that most games between evenly matched teams come down to the outcome of 4 or 5 plays.

Welcome to coaching. You put in hours and hours of work and preparation and your ultimate success comes down to the outcome of a couple of games per year, which come down to how a bunch of 18-20 year olds execute 4 or 5 key plays during a game.

It was 3rd and long at the UNT 22 when JimJim took it to the house. If they tackle for no gain and we have to punt into the wind, who knows how it might turn out.

Nothing a little Grey Goose won't cure, as they say in the business.

• Upvote 1

I think the facilities we have now can keep talent coming to UNT. Dickey didn't have that.

Having said that, OLinemen like to run block. Coach Mac is going to run the ball. I hope we become "OLine U" and recruit top notch O Linemen year in and year out. I don't see why we can't.

If Coach Mac keeps an OLine factory going through here, this team is going to win games. And if we get our OLine established for years, where do you think the RB talent is going to want to go?

I also think our playcalling has to do with the QB. Bless DTs heart but there was no way Mac was trusting him down on our own 6 inch line. If he did, they would have thrown it out of the end zone. When Mac gets his QB in here (a running QB that can hit an open receiver) I think this offense will open up a little. He wanted McNulty but he's not good enough. I guess we'll see what Burgland has.

As for the style of offense, I like it. It can keep us in games and there's nothing prettier than seeing that safety cheat up only to get burned by a play action pass. Yes Chancellor dropped the pass but that play was beautiful if executed properly.

• Upvote 1

Ladies and gentlemen,

Video game offenses are nice... The kids love them.

But being able to run the ball down your opponent's throat is a thing of beauty. Setting up play action pass and catching the safeties cheating into the box.... Also a classic thing of beauty.

The best sec teams can line up and pound it down anybody's throat. When the game is on the line in the 4th, I feel like the d that has had to defense the run for 3.5 quarters is going to wear out and be vulnerable to caving in. I think this is what happened against the Cajuns.

I think this formula works with our personel. I love the emphasis on oline. It really appears to be the stength of this team. We need a dline to match it. If that happens... Lookout.

Gmg

• Upvote 1