Sooo are we still against coach Mac's rush heavy offense?

D-ry

I understand this is only one game, but the power run strategy really proved to be successful last night. I have heard a lot of bashing when it comes to the power run strategy, but they ran all over LaLa, the #19 rushing defense in the nation! What's everyone's thoughts?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This offense is definitely suited to run the football. The O-line, TE's, WR's did a good job of blocking a talented defense last night. We clearly wore them down as the game went on (thank you Coach Wintrich!) and we did enough in the passing/screen game to keep moving the chains. Y'Barbo pulling and getting up the field last night was very fun to watch.

It looked like we were more creative last night (similar to K State) and used Lafayette's blitz heavy scheme against them several times. Canales and his staff did a nice job. Let's keep this up!

• Upvote 1

I don't think we have a choice. Our defense can only be successful if we control the ball on offense and grind out clock. Thats why our offense runs the plays it does - despite many on here don't like it. You leave our defense on the field too long and we will get exposed eventually. Our defensive success depends on controlling the ball on offense and reducing the number of plays our defense has to make (i.e. limiting the chances the other team's offense has).

• Upvote 2

I have been and will remain a believer that the passing game is set up by a successful running game. If you can run the ball effectively, you will naturally get the db's moving up and thinking run. Then the play action pass, is set up. Current defenses recruit to stop the pass...not the run. Then there is the mental aspect of being able to dominate your opponent physically on the line of scrimmage..i.e., the running game. If you can average 4-5 yds per rush, that is so frustrating for a d-lineman. Then the physical aspect...having a 310 O'Lineman driving you off the ball continually is physically taxing. Honestly, a few things that I would like to see is more balanced running attack on the left side, a true counter play out of the I backfield and then a trap play. Although simple in philosophy, it will catch a linebacker running out of position.

• Upvote 4

Passing game has to complement the running game, and vice versa. Last night, 8 of the first 9 first down plays were runs. The lone pass was the deep ball to Chancellor that he dropped (sure TD if he makes the catch). I did notice that, for whatever reason, LaLa were not putting 8 in the box every down. They did it some, but not nearly as much as Houston and Troy.

At this point, I think Mac is just bound and determined to establish what he wants to do for years to come and isn't thinking short term. That, and a lack of trust at the QB position (at least that is the appearance his actions give). I understand it, but it's frustrating for fans that have seen continual losing for years.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

We actually put up great numbers and moved the ball very well, including against top-tier competition (i.e., Kansas State). The problem has been converting red zone into points, though special teams haven't done us any favors in the red zone either and cost us the Troy game. I'm all for this power-run defense but we just have to improve red zone performance.

• Upvote 2

I love it since I've always been a fan of run heavy offenses. Not that zone read shit, but the line 'em up, man-on-man smashmouth football. Think about the OL type players NT can recruit here by pitching this style of offense.

Also, i think it's a necessity considering the skill/talent of the QB. NT can put more of the offensive load on the passing game when the talent level improves there. Until then, we'll continue to see remnants of the Ol' Buick.

• Upvote 1

Somewhere in my past I will admit to screaming "Throw the ball, Dickey!" at the top of my lungs on multiple occasions. This offense is "different" and we throw enough to balance, while controlling the clock. At least it doesn't feature draw plays on third-and-long. :flowers: It is ugly when it ain't workin' but it was workin' in the third and fourth quarters last night to perfection.

• Upvote 2

This is Dickey ball. I know, I know, we shouldnt mention the ghost of conference championships past...but it's true.

Just thought I'd mention that while we talk about how much we trust Mac to take us to the promised land...and he will. He'll just do it with an game plan we condemned not long ago.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Run heavy? I think McCarney is trying to build a balanced attack. Our average per game is 185 rushing and 218 passing. Teams that are all pass usually have problems trying to hold leads. Teams that are all run have problems trying to come from behind. Teams that have balanced attacks are harder to deal with as they can come from behind or run down the clock to protect a lead.

Edited by casual fan
  • Upvote 4

My concern is that the announcers said we ran the ball on first down 75% of the time coming into this game. I don't want us to become too predictable, as I would guess that percentage went up after last night.

My one complaint was the ultra conservative play calls when we were backup on our 1.

• Upvote 3

My concern is that the announcers said we ran the ball on first down 75% of the time coming into this game. I don't want us to become too predictable, as I would guess that percentage went up after last night.

My one complaint was the ultra conservative play calls when we were backup on our 1.

if they cant stop it, why worry? Run it until it proves ineffective.

Run heavy? I think McCarney is trying to build a balanced attack. Our average per game is 185 rushing and 218 passing. Teams that are all pass usually have problems trying to hold leads. Teams that are all run have problems trying to come from behind. Teams that have balanced attacks are harder to deal with as they can come from behind or run down the clock to protect a lead.

2012 Offensive Totals, as of October 2012:

Passing - 1517 yards, 8 TDs.

Rushing - 1288 yards, 10 TDs.

2004 Offensive Totals, total 2004 season:

Passing - 1891 yards, 14TDs.

Rushing - 2237 yards, 21TDs.

So in just about half the season, our passing totals this season are close to that of the 2004 rush-heavy, Dickeyball-era offense. Our current passing and rushing yards have the passing yards just edge out rushing.

I'd call that balanced.

• Upvote 1

2012 Offensive Totals, as of October 2012:

Passing - 1517 yards, 8 TDs.

Rushing - 1288 yards, 10 TDs.

2004 Offensive Totals, total 2004 season:

Passing - 1891 yards, 14TDs.

Rushing - 2237 yards, 21TDs.

So in just about half the season, our passing totals this season are close to that of the 2004 rush-heavy, Dickeyball-era offense. Our current passing and rushing yards have the passing yards just edge out rushing.

I'd call that balanced.

Do you have the Pass Attempts and Rush Attempts per game? I think that would lean heavily towards the run but I could be wrong. I believe Mac wants to be balanced but may be leaning on the rush more now due to the talent available.

This is Dickey ball. I know, I know, we shouldnt mention the ghost of conference championships past...but it's true.

Just thought I'd mention that while we talk about how much we trust Mac to take us to the promised land...and he will. He'll just do it with an game plan we condemned not long ago.

Dickey Ball worked great in two instances: when he had a great defense and when the opponent was from the Sun Belt. Otherwise, during his 9 years here, it usually just amounted to a boring loss.

Right now, Mac's offense reminds us of Dickey Ball because our QB is not very consistent. Coach Mac will throw more when he gets a QB that can throw it effectively. Think about Iowa State with Sage Rosenfels and Seneca Wallace. Next year, he might get his wish if Berglund can play and can keep out of trouble.

• Upvote 2

Dickey Averages

PPG/YPG RPG/YPG

2000........19.0/107.3......39.7/134.3

2001........20.5/141.8......43.0/160.4

2002........16.7/102.1......45.2/182.5

2003........17.3/149.9......43.2/177.5

2004........20.8/157.6......40.9/186.4

2005........25.3/129.3......36.8/142.6

2006........21.1/115.2......36.4/117.0

Total........20.1/129.0......40.7/157.2

Mac (Through 6 games in 2012)