Will we look back on this game as "the pivotal" game?

trussbussdad

The ULL game will be viewed as a huge game or even "the" pivotal game for the MEAN GREEN. Only time will tell. But the stars appeared to line up...coming from behind against a pretty good ULL team. Great stats from DT and Olen who had been crucified in the past... making big plays on offense and defense, converting on 3rd downs, defense coming up with some big stops.

Again, only time will tell if how the boys respond to the lights, nat'l exposure and then the huge win of last night. But like I said, I like how things are lining up.

GREAT WIN MEAN GREEN!!!

If we keep winning, yes.

Those of us who have been associated with the university for two or more decades...we always hope this game or that one is the turning point. We've been up and down so many times over the years.

My hope is that, because of this coaching staff, we are getting real growth as a team and not some fluky, once-in-a-blue moon win.

Look, it's not setting the world on fire, but since Dodge was fired, we are 10-14.

Think about this: from the beginning of the 2006 season until Dodge's firing, we won 9 games - 9 out of 55 games in the span.

Go back to the beginning of 2005 and it's 11 wins in 66 games.

Think about this as well, with his next win, McCarney will have led us to as many wins in less than two years as we had from 2005 to Dodge's firing midway through 2010.

Coaching matters.

No one complained longer or louder about Dodge than I did. Many complained long and loud about Dickey. Both had their strengths and weaknesses. We should all agree, though, that they did what they did with perhaps the worst facilities in America.

But, we should also all agree that, however much we personally liked them as men, McCarney is getting the job done.

Dickey may have been his own undoing with his running battles with the athletic department. Dodge simply wasn't ready for this level. In McCarney, we have a guy who seems to be able to get along well with the athletic department as well as put together a experienced coaching staff - a professional.

• Upvote 1

I could be paraphrasing, but after the game, McCarney had this to say to the reporter on the field, "We're not where we want to be but thank God we're not where we used to be."

I couldn't agree more. This a crucial game coming up vs. Middle Tennessee. IF we can find a way to win this next one, we have two very winnable games at home vs. Arky State and South Alabama. That would set us up for two heavyweight matchups to end the season. This conference is deeper than its ever been and we have to bring our A game against everyone. I like the fact that we have a week and half to prepare for this next game. Good coaches tend to make the most of more preparation time. We should be primed and ready to go.

• Upvote 1

If we keep winning, yes.

Those of us who have been associated with the university for two or more decades...we always hope this game or that one is the turning point. We've been up and down so many times over the years.

I heard the NCAA is investigating to see if they need to be concerned with the high rate of concussions occurring in the UNT fanbase due to the many episodes of emotional whiplash we've encountered over the years.

I think that the up-and-down nature of this team will continue. They got a good win last night, but our QB play is very inconsistent and our defense doesn't put a huge amount of pressure on the opposing QB. I think that we will still end up around 5-7, with a sure win against South Alabama and we will probably get another win out of MTSU and Arky State. I don't see us beating ULM or WKU on the road with their speed. Still, even if the record remains the same as last year, there is no doubt that we are making progress, since this year's schedule has been much more difficult than last year's.

Edited by untjim1995

Green Eggs...dont know what game you saw last night but DT had a pretty good game. 17-28 for 280 yds and 2 tds...I can think of alot of qbs that would like to have that game. Pressuring the QB..we had difficulties the first half, but the 2nd half we were in his face ALOT. I do agree ULM is going to be a tough game...probably a slug fest. But I still like our chances in a conference that has all of a sudden has as much parody as any "major" conference.

Green Eggs...dont know what game you saw last night but DT had a pretty good game. 17-28 for 280 yds and 2 tds...I can think of alot of qbs that would like to have that game. Pressuring the QB..we had difficulties the first half, but the 2nd half we were in his face ALOT. I do agree ULM is going to be a tough game...probably a slug fest. But I still like our chances in a conference that has all of a sudden has as much parody as any "major" conference.

Agreed, It's about time the defense realized all they have to do is just PRESSURE/HURRY the QB, not necessarily sack him, it's makes a HUGE difference. H U G E!!!!!!!!!! It's safe to say their QB throws great, we all saw that in the first half. Puts the ball right on the money, alot of speed. But if had some much as defenders finger within 6 inchs of his face, he couldnt hit his targers.

I was impressed with DT. But I have to admit, he would really make me nervous with some of this throws to receivers that literally had a defenders riding on on their backs. Some VERY close calls.

since this year's schedule has been much more difficult than last year's.

Has it, Really?

I think the FCS guaranteed win on this year's schedule pretty much makes this year's OOC schedule much easier than last year's OOC schedule.

And, in conference, we get to replace FIU with a 1st year FBS program in S. Alabama. Yes, the conference is better, but this replacement alone makes the comparison a push.

The one area where it is more difficult is one more road game and one less home game.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Depends how the season turns out. We'll see, this may be the turning point. We've never had a win this big (much less at home) in recent memory.

I would put Indiana up there but agree this was bigger because I think ULL is a better team and our backs were against the wall after the loss to Troy.

This win really was big for Mac because he has proven that he can we key games at home. Hopefully he can do the same on the road this season.