i'm the optimist

drex

I am an optimist that we might get six wins and be bowl eligible...does the Texas Southern win count toward the six wins needed?

It counts. They are DI. They just got hit with a ton of penaties by the NCAA both their football and basketball teams, even 10 of their trumpet players got suspended.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We've got 2 now. If we beat La La, and beat Middle, now with their running back out for the season. That's 4. And I'm sure we can beat South Alabama. That's 5. Now who do we beat ? Arky State ? A blazing hot Monroe ? Or Western Kentucky ?

I want a 6 win season as much as anyone. But which of those 3 above mentioned teams can we knock off ?

It starts NOW

GO MEAN GREEN

PS...I think we travel fairly well. I would think bowl sponsors would look at our travel numbers as well as our season record.

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 1

We've got 2 now. If we beat La La, and beat Middle, now with their running back out for the season. That's 4. And I'm sure we can beat South Alabama. That's 5. Now who do we beat ? Arky State ? A blazing hot Monroe ? Or Western Kentucky ?

I want a 6 win season as much as anyone. But which of those 3 above mentioned teams can we knock off ?

It starts tomorrow night.

GO MEAN GREEN

Arky State.

• Upvote 1

There's a 0% chance of us getting picked for a bowl game at 6-6 unless there is a shortgage of spots, or one of the openings happens to be in the metroplex. If we were selling out the football stadium, then maybe it would be different.

Really? Per cbssports.com, there were 27 teams that went to bowl games with 6-6 records over the past two years. I think 0% is an exaggeration, IMO.

Six wins won't get us in to a bowl...its going to have to be 7-5 or better...or we can just win out, take the Sun Belt title and peace out to CUSA.

I think you get there with 6 this year. Some schools not eligible (Ohio State, Penn State); plus CUSA probably won't fill their slots this year. Good chance the Belt gets 4 bowls.

How many of those were automatic conference tie ins, and of the ones who were not automatic tie ins, how many were from non-power conferences?

The article doesn't get that granular, but it does list that since 2006, here are the number of 6-6 bowl teams by conference:

Big Ten - 9

SEC - 9

ACC - 8

Big 12 - 7

C-USA -6

PAC-12 -6

Mountain West - 4

Sun Belt - 3

Big East - 2

Mid-American - 2

The article doesn't get that granular, but it does list that since 2006, here are the number of 6-6 bowl teams by conference:

Big Ten - 9

SEC - 9

ACC - 8

Big 12 - 7

C-USA -6

PAC-12 -6

Mountain West - 4

Sun Belt - 3

Big East - 2

Mid-American - 2

I suppose you're right that 0% may be a bit harsh...I will not get my hopes up at 6-6 though. We need to make some serious statements moving forward this year to get noticed and it starts tonight.