Question

unt_rocket09

This might help . . .

Looking over it, though, I don't see anything pertaining directly to your situation. As a coach, players will look to you for direction. It seems strange that you could talk to them about attending any school in the country, but couldn't talk to them about attending UNT.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

This might help . . .

Looking over it, though, I don't see anything pertaining directly to your situation. As a coach, players will look to you for direction. It seems strange that you could talk to them about attending any school in the country, but couldn't talk to them about attending UNT.

A casual reading makes it look like contacting a UNT assistant coach would be the best idea, but no casual reading of NCAA rules seems sufficient. I guess that's why schools have compliance officials.

Sounds good. I have a couple of kids who I think COULD play at the next level. One has a brother playing LB at Rice right now, but I think he wants to stay closer to home.

Appreciate your willingness to help your Alma Mater. The good folks in compliance can and will answer this question for you. I would not be 100% comfortable allowing the folks on GMG.Com to guide your recruiting "dos and don'ts". Are you a head coach? If not, perhaps your head coach could also be of some assistance.

It's great seeing HS coaches think enough about UNT to want to help in the recruiting process in so much as to at least discuss UNT with their players. Thanks, Sir. Good luck to you.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I am just the DBs coach. I wear UNT gear at Saturday film sessions, have a mini helmet and UNT towel on my desk. They ask, and I tell. Not just the guys that want to play ball either. I have kids that are interested in the school to just go to school. I always hype us up! Have 5 going on their visit this month and they are pumped.

• Upvote 2

I would err on the side of extreme caution. The rules about being a booster, as they have been explained to me, are that if you donate to the school at all- even if it's not directly to the athletic department- you are considered a "booster." I -also used to own family season ticket seating at my undergrad alma mater, and I was told that that alone makes me a "booster."

What NT03 said also seems correct, and yes, it's very difficult to enforce this.

I would think it would be okay to talk to your kids about playing college ball and suggest places to look at, but not directly steer them towards any particular schools, and not press the issue. But check with someone, and be careful.

You know what you could do? Find a college coach that has his kid playing for him. They're probably more on top of this sort of thing than others. I know your relationship is high school coach - not biological - but it can't hurt.

Hell, shoot the Creighton basketball coach an email and see if you get a reply. Just make sure you close the email with some Tony Mitchell reference and petty trash talk about November 9.

Edited by greenminer