remember that OU game we lost during the Dodge era

outoftown

At least OU always beat us fair and square.

It's a law of our universe: Close only counts in Horse Shoes, Hand Grenades, and Longhorn Touchdowns.

texas-td-gif-9-29-12.gif

The referee signaled touchdown even though he couldn't see how far the ball advanced. The ball was loose until an OSU player picks it up. Yet the Big 12 would not review the play because "it wasn't clear which players may have gained possession during the scrum." What???

Arrogance.

100% agree. Try living in Austin with all of their "Baghdad Bob" sports radio propaganda. You'd think no team in the nation had a chance against them and schools like ours are lucky if they let us play in their stadium. They belittle us every chance they get. Burns me up.

I can't remember. What is the Longhorn athletic department budget?

Well, according to this website, over 7.6 million annually goes to Mack Brown's and Richard Barnes' salaries... http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/government-employee-salaries/

So if that's true, Mack Brown is... the highest-paid employee of the State of Texas.

Why does it matter? It's the same with recruiting - not everyone who lives in Texas has long Texas roots. Many families may have only lived here a few years. Or, they may be the only part of their family in Texas.

Why would someone from Iowa, Oklahoma, Michigan, Alabama, etc. whose parents moved to Texas root for Texas against anyone? Why would they care?

People from Michigan or Ohio could give a rip about the Texas-OU game. Kids born to people who moved from other states are going to have loyalties back home.

And, even if they were to choose a school to support from their new home state, why would it have to be Texas? There are plenty of other schools in the state.

Not everyone living in California - by birth or by migration - roots for Cal. Not everyone in Oklahoma follows the Sooners.

And, again, with an 85 scholarship limit, not every kid in the state of Texas can go to a Texas school anyway. The population numbers here make it too great.

Alabama won a national title with a kid from Southlake starting at QB. Who gives a damn? OU's last national title came with a kid from South Dakota playing QB. Again, who cares? The one before that, a kid from California. The two before that, a kid from Oklahoma. Who cares?

Look, Texas fans...Texas gets the pick of the litter when it comes to Texas recruits. Don't be so peevish when they underachieve. They've got no excuse - none - for having OU run them out of the Cotton Bowl two years in a row. OU is a school in a state with fewer people than inhabit the DFW metroplex.

If Texas can't put together teams to beat OU on a regular basis, that's not the fault of kids who don't want to stay in Texas. Texas already gets the best. If they don't know what to do with them once they get there, that's their own problem.

I hope North Texas has that kind of problem someday.

• Upvote 2

Why would someone from Iowa, Oklahoma, Michigan, Alabama, etc. whose parents moved to Texas root for Texas against anyone? Why would they care?

Why would anyone who did not attend UT care about UT?

I think the final straw was LHN. Arrogance personified. I did giggle a bit Saturday, having comfort that we would have played OU much better than UT just did.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm not really sure what beating Texas proves about OU. Had the officials made the correct call on Texas' last minute fumble versus Oklahoma State, the 'Horns would be sitting at 0-3 in the Big 12. Their defense has been ripped by anyone half decent.

Basically, nothing is different in the Big 12...no one really plays much defense. Texas' offense is ridiculous. Colorado and Arizona State went through this when they hired Boise State's Dan Hawkins and Dirk Koetter respectively as their head coaches. What Boise State does well works in the MWC/WAC....not so much is bigger conferences with better copetition.

For reasons unknown, Texas ditched their known coordinator for Boise State's Bryan Harsin. Harsin is fine with lesser competition. He's not fine week in and week out in a Big Boy Conference.

I'll also never understand Texas hiring Manny Diaz, whose total signficant resume was one season at Mississippi State. Other than that, he was Middle Tennessee State's DC for four years and a position coach at North Carolina.

It's a head scratcher that Mack Brown and DeLoss Dodds took a leap of faith on a coach the likes of Diaz after blockbuster hirings of Gene Chizik and Will Muschamp before him.

What Texas needs to do is write Texas A&M a thank you letter for not hiring Alabama DC Kirby Smart as their head coach when they had the opportunity to do so, then go ahead and hire him away from Bama to run their defense. Bama may be better on the field right now; but, no one has more money than Texas.

Texas could hire Smart and make him the "head coach in waiting." Yes...that was stupid. But, still, Texas needs real coordinators.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

Since I only moved to Texas so that I could attend UNT, you would think I wouldn't care either. But being in the Metroplex during Texas-OU weekend every year for over a decade, I really started to despise OU. Everywhere I saw anyone with Sooners gear on, they were throwing beer bottles, starting fights, and disrespecting EVERYONE - whether they had a UT affiliation or not - everywhere they went. I even made it a point when surveying the chaos a couple of times that most people in the D/FW area weren't even UT fans or alums, and the response was always that they act like that every year because they hate Texas. So yes, I'm sure there must be some respectable fans and alums somewhere in the Sooners network, and of course we've all seen people NOT from OU act like lunatics at times, but I've never seen it on such a massive scale with seemingly little variation. With UT there may be the arrogance and such, but I never saw such awful behavior en masse from them. Perhaps I had a bad tendency to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...every time. But somehow I doubt that. Luckily, I was usually in Denton where there wasn't as much of it (though it still popped up), but there were times I was in Dallas, Addison and Grand Prairie...and it was mayhem.

• Upvote 3

Since I only moved to Texas so that I could attend UNT, you would think I wouldn't care either. But being in the Metroplex during Texas-OU weekend every year for over a decade, I really started to despise OU. Everywhere I saw anyone with Sooners gear on, they were throwing beer bottles, starting fights, and disrespecting EVERYONE - whether they had a UT affiliation or not - everywhere they went. I even made it a point when surveying the chaos a couple of times that most people in the D/FW area weren't even UT fans or alums, and the response was always that they act like that every year because they hate Texas. So yes, I'm sure there must be some respectable fans and alums somewhere in the Sooners network, and of course we've all seen people NOT from OU act like lunatics at times, but I've never seen it on such a massive scale with seemingly little variation. With UT there may be the arrogance and such, but I never saw such awful behavior en masse from them. Perhaps I had a bad tendency to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...every time. But somehow I doubt that. Luckily, I was usually in Denton where there wasn't as much of it (though it still popped up), but there were times I was in Dallas, Addison and Grand Prairie...and it was mayhem.

There are bad fans everywhere; believe me, I've seen the bad side of UT fans and it's just as ugly. We can leave it at that.

Ahhh. The ten year plan. Nice work Jesse!

• Upvote 1

Everybody has their own pecking order. I love to see UT get beat by any Big 12, WAC, SB, MW, or CUSA school other than smu. However, I pull for UT against teams in the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big East, or Pac 12. Same for OU except when it comes to UT and that can change from year to year. Most of the time I'm for the underdog. That's why the Boise-OU Fiesta Bowl was so great as OU felt insulted to have to play a team that was so beneath them. That's what made the Boise win so great.

Ahhh. The ten year plan. Nice work Jesse!

Haha it did look like it meant that if you read it the right (wrong) way. But I did live in the area for about 6 years after graduation, including some time for grad school. I'm sure you still get the idea, though; neither I nor my family is from Texas, so I had no preconceived notions or feelings about it one way or the other until I experienced it.