Teegarden left shot at MLB dream, money behind for UNT

Brett Vito

Sorry, But I would take the gauranteed money, and tons of it, that baseball has to offer over college football. SEE: Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson

I think you have read too much into this. The article said that the Rays wanted to select him in the top half of the draft. The MLB draft is 50 rounds. So, basically he would have been picked in the 20-25 round. Guys picked that late don't get the type of money you're talking about.

• Upvote 1

I think you have read too much into this. The article said that the Rays wanted to select him in the top half of the draft. The MLB draft is 50 rounds. So, basically he would have been picked in the 20-25 round. Guys picked that late don't get the type of money you're talking about.

oh yeah, I was thinking first half of round 1.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If the MLB draft is 50 rounds, how does rounds 20-25 equal the top half? Wouldn't the top half be 1-25 or has the new math screwed up my assessment?

If the MLB draft is 50 rounds, how does rounds 20-25 equal the top half? Wouldn't the top half be 1-25 or has the new math screwed up my assessment?

No, but being a former journalist myself, I know that when you make statements like "top half of the draft" in a feature story, you are expanding the importance in order to enhance the value of your story. It makes for a much better read.

Believe me, if he was slated to be taken in the first 5 rounds, the writer would have said that.

Don't worry, Lifer, math really hasn't changed that much since you were using the abacus at your first accounting job. I was just reading between the lines.

I could be wrong. Maybe, they did offer a gob of money, but the article just says that he passed up on money. Most Rookie league and A baseball players don't make very much money at all.

My wife's family lives in Burlington, Iowa, home of the single A Burlington Bees. People from the community give up rooms in their homes to the Bees players for the summer, because their pay is so low.

Edited by GangGreen