DT Top 10 All Time At UNT

CurveItAround

This is just so frustrating. Look DT is fine for now, Berglund may or may not be better next year (my hope is that he is, but it may be a 50/50 chance). But all this heartache in my opinion could be wiped away next year with one fantastic DT or DE recruit pickup during this year's recruiting season. I'm talking a high 3 star or heaven forbid... a 4 star?

Is this the hardest position on the whole field to land that type of a player? If so then we should focus A TON OF OUR RECRUITING effort on a handful of those types of players. Am I stating the obvious? Mac in house visits, hard sells EARLY. Get on it because that is our #1 area of need RIGHT NOW.

• Upvote 1

This is just so frustrating. Look DT is fine for now, Berglund may or may not be better next year (my hope is that he is, but it may be a 50/50 chance). But all this heartache in my opinion could be wiped away next year with one fantastic DT or DE recruit pickup during this year's recruiting season. I'm talking a high 3 star or heaven forbid... a 4 star?

Is this the hardest position on the whole field to land that type of a player? If so then we should focus A TON OF OUR RECRUITING effort on a handful of those types of players. Am I stating the obvious? Mac in house visits, hard sells EARLY. Get on it because that is our #1 area of need RIGHT NOW.

After the way our DL was tossed around last week, I couldn't agree more. That area is definitely my greatest concern going forward.

After the way our DL was tossed around last week, I couldn't agree more. That area is definitely my greatest concern going forward.

In basketball what separates the big boys from the "Mid-Majors" is the inside game. The national powers rarely let the players that are big and skilled slip through the cracks and fall to a lesser program. This is why having Tony Mitchell and, to a lesser extent, Keith Coleman on our team is such a big deal.

The same is true in football with O-line and D-lineman. If a kid has the prototypical size and is skilled, the powerhouse teams will do everything they can to get their hands on that kid. It's hard to get top flight recruits at any position to come to UNT right now, in 2012, but it is especially hard to pull stud D-lineman. I hope this trend can change sooner rather than later, but I think we will need to win some more first before we can steal away some blue-chip D-lineman from the likes of tcu and a&m. One thing we do have going for us is the pitch of immediate playing time to recruits, which we would be wise to take advantage of.

The game Tuesday is really big, as stated many times, particularly for recruiting. National TV exposure, but more importantly a chance to win on national TV. This win could help get us in striking distance of competing for the Sun Belt and for a bowl game, which would provide another national stage for us, or leave us right where we have been. Big opportunity, let's hope we capitalize.

I'm curious about mechanics. I can almost guarantee you that everyone on this board, with or without playing experience in any number of sports, knows more than I do about rules, plays, and general coaching methodology, but it seems to elude so many people that minor adjustments in certain motions can be such a huge game-changer. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen articles and reports about how so many highly-touted athletes didn't "make the cut" when trying to play at a higher (i.e. professional) level and were sent to work with mechanics coaches, because all of their coaches over the years relied on their natural abilities so much that they skipped over some very basic specifics that could have made great athletes into elite athletes. As such, I can't help but wonder if much attention has been paid to his specific motions that might well complement his overall talent and "awareness of the game".

Well, if you're talking about a quarterback and not just a passer, Ken Washington is my favorite quarterback of color. He could beat you with his arm or his feet, depending on what you gave him. He's in the North Texas HOF and I don't recall that the others are.

Jordan Case is #2 on the all-time list for completion percentage. The leader? The much maligned Riley Dodge. If Jordan had four years as productive as his two here he'd be among the Top 3 or 4 and would be the quarterback used as a measuring stick for greatness.

Then again, if Vizza had the offensive line of today I'd put him at #1 as a passer. We've only had a handful of really good quarterbacks in our history. Hopefully, this is the turning point.

PS. Most of you weren't around to see him but our best fullback sits just a few seats away from me at Apogee...Ken Bahnsen. Ken averaged about 5 yards per carry for his career here and was almost unstoppable when it came to gaining yards.

Edited by GrayEagle

And we rarely sign anyone from Beaumont these days.

True, but Beaumont has had few good teams since South Park closed. The few good individuals all seem to want to go to A&M.

Besides, how would a recruiter know where to go? I don't know any city that has had as many name changes and relocations as Beaumont. Where are Beaumont High, South Park, French, Hebert and Charlton-Pollard? There's probably another one or two that I can't think of.

Edited by GrayEagle

Well, if you're talking about a quarterback and not just a passer, Ken Washington is my favorite quarterback of color. He could beat you with his arm or his feet, depending on what you gave him. He's in the North Texas HOF and I don't recall that the others are.

1. Ken was just as likely to lose 10-20 yards trying to use his feet whilst trying to imitate Fran Tarkington. And he wasn't a passer......he was a chunker.

Joe Stevenson was equally good with his arm and feet......and he was a passer not a chunker.

2. HOF? Has Walter Chapman been inducted into the HOF? If he has, then it's about damn time and that's how credible those people are to me......although they did induct Jordan Case in a pretty timely manner.

Jordan Case is #2 on the all-time list for completion percentage. The leader? The much maligned Riley Dodge. If Jordan had four years as productive as his two here he'd be among the Top 3 or 4 and would be the quarterback used as a measuring stick for greatness.

I have always gone by intangibles. For instance, as part of his leadership ability, Jordan Case always played in a lot of pain. You could never tell it by how he conducted himself on the field but they had to give him a pain shot before almost every game he played. He never flinched at being rushed. He usually just deftly moved out of the way whilst never taking his eyes off his receivers. I never saw him get happy feet.....although he was a good runner when he decided to make something happen with his feet.

Then again, if Vizza had the offensive line of today I'd put him at #1 as a passer. We've only had a handful of really good quarterbacks in our history. Hopefully, this is the turning point.

PS. Most of you weren't around to see him but our best fullback sits just a few seats away from me at Apogee...Ken Bahnsen. Ken averaged about 5 yards per carry for his career here and was almost unstoppable when it came to gaining yards.