This week's Ohio State halftime show (video game tribute)

meaniegreenie

Yes, Ohio state definitely wins and has 110k at every game because of their band uniforms.

If you look closely, many of the tuba players are struggling with their turns. They are not planting properly going into their break and are a little undersized to play at this level.

I kid! I thought the performance was amazing. Very cool.

I am in favor of this.

(although, the halftime show does take place on the football field.. so technically we're still concerned with what goes on the football field)

Agree. There could be a tread called "North Texas Green Brigade"..and if someone doesn't want to read about halftime/game day stuff regarding our most important spirit group, they can just (like the chorus line says in the title song from the movie "Father Goose")....Pass Me By-y, Pass Me By-y-y......If you don't happen to like it Pass Me By.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

Agree. There could be a tread called "North Texas Green Brigade"..and if someone doesn't want to read about halftime/game day stuff regarding our most important spirit group, they can just (like the chorus line says in the title song from the movie "Father Goose")....Pass Me By-y, Pass Me By-y-y......If you don't happen to like it Pass Me By.

And then you and I can debate until the cows come home!

Video Game tribute? Seriously? What a bunch of hip-hop nonsense.

When the great Hayden Fry was here the Green Brigade did a wonderful tribute to books. That is what college is about. Football. Pageantry. Books. Not this waste of time fad called video games. Today's band could certainly stand to take a page from that.

• Upvote 3

Video Game tribute? Seriously? What a bunch of hip-hop nonsense.

When the great Hayden Fry was here the Green Brigade did a wonderful tribute to books. That is what college is about. Football. Pageantry. Books. Not this waste of time fad called video games. Today's band could certainly stand to take a page from that.

Well, I tend to agree with you regarding the tribute to video games. I would think that that would be beneath most college music programs....especially the great musical program at North Texas...BUT Kalebschumann would seem to indicate otherwise.

I don't remember the tribute that you are talking about (books), but I didn't go to all the games during the Hayden Fry era. However, I do remember back in the 60's that the North Texas band did a tribute to the North Texas fight song (homecoming show). They presented versions of it as if it had originated in other countries. They did an asian style, a spanish style, and a classic European (Beethoven-like) style. With every formation new props and specialized instruments were hurried on and off the field by the non-performing members of the band. They called it "the North Texas fight song around the world". Naturally they finished up with a rousing rendition of the original.

It accomplished two things. It gave them an opportunity to get musically creative, and at the same time.... get back to basics (school spirit).

Edited by SilverEagle

Well, I tend to agree with you regarding the tribute to video games. I would think that that would be beneath most college music programs....especially the great musical program at North Texas...BUT Kalebschumann would seem to indicate otherwise.

I don't remember the tribute that you are talking about (books), but I didn't go to all the games during the Hayden Fry era. However, I do remember back in the 60's that the North Texas band did a tribute to the North Texas fight song (homecoming show). They presented versions of it as if it had originated in other countries. They did an asian style, a spanish style, and a classic European (Beethoven-like) style. With every formation new props and specialized instruments were hurried on and off the field by the non-performing members of the band. They called it "the North Texas fight song around the world". Naturally they finished up with a rousing rendition of the original.

It accomplished two things. It gave them an opportunity to get musically creative, and at the same time.... get back to basics (school spirit).

THIS!!!

I'll be suggesting this idea to the director next time I see him. I think this idea is awesome.

There's actually a piece that was recently written (Emerald Suite) that is a three movement piece that uses the fight song for thematic material. We would use that too.

I'll see what I can do Silver

THIS!!!

I'll be suggesting this idea to the director next time I see him. I think this idea is awesome.

There's actually a piece that was recently written (Emerald Suite) that is a three movement piece that uses the fight song for thematic material. We would use that too.

I'll see what I can do Silver

Well, good luck to you.

A question. Where do all those old charts and arrangements go after they've been used in a half-time show? Also, if a grad student ever wrote an original composition that the band played, is that music filed away in a file cabinet somewhere in the school of music?

Well, good luck to you.

A question. Where do all those old charts and arrangements go after they've been used in a half-time show? Also, if a grad student ever wrote an original composition that the band played, is that music filed away in a file cabinet somewhere in the school of music?

We have one of the largest Wind Ensemble Music Libraries in the nation. It's a huge library filled with tons of concert band, brass band, and even marching music.

I'd be willing to bet money that it's in there somewhere. If only I knew the librarians to the wind studies library... OH WAIT! I DO! I'll see if we can take a look sometime in the next few weeks.

• Upvote 1

We have one of the largest Wind Ensemble Music Libraries in the nation. It's a huge library filled with tons of concert band, brass band, and even marching music.

I'd be willing to bet money that it's in there somewhere. If only I knew the librarians to the wind studies library... OH WAIT! I DO! I'll see if we can take a look sometime in the next few weeks.

Well, if you are going to look for the charts/arrangements for the show that I just described, it was either 64 or 65.

I remember a march that was played by the band around 1974 or 75.... maybe 76. It was written by a grad student and it was a Spanish style march. I remember it was played at a game at Texas Stadium. I thought it was a very good march. but I never heard it played again after that night.

We just moved a cabinet completely filled with old music from the green brigade into the uniform room. You can look there as well.