Where do we rank in the state?

agw0038

Interesting. I always thought UH competed with UAB for the most competitive program, after Memphis, coming out of CUSA.

UH has a good history and won the CUSA tourney in 2010, but I think UAB, UTEP, Marshall, Tulsa, UCF, and USM are all as good/better recently.

What about SMU? Rice? are they any good?

I completely forgot Larry Brown was their coach now. You would think they would have some good talent this year. I wonder why we never play them?

See TCU (Everybody Else)

What about SMU? Rice? are they any good?

I completely forgot Larry Brown was their coach now. You would think they would have some good talent this year. I wonder why we never play them?

We dont play them because they dont want the loss.

And we already have one Cameron on the schedule.

• Upvote 1

I'll wait until we actually play and beat someone that matters.

Yes, we have a lot of potential, but as someone once said. that just means you haven't done anything yet.

It is very possible this place comes unglued after the Creighton game.

Also, we have a head coach who has never been a head coach before. Is he a good in-game coach? Can he master rotations? We don't know yet.

A lot of excitement going into the season, but a ton of unknowns, also. Can Coleman be effective this year? Has JWill and CJ improved their outside shot?

Too many variables to know where we stand right now.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4

I'll wait until we actually play and beat someone that matters.

Yes, we have a lot of potential, but as someone once said. that just means you haven't done anything yet.

It is very possible this place comes unglued after the Creighton game.

Also, we have a head coach who has never been a head coach before. Is he a good in-game coach? Can he master rotations? We don't know yet.

A lot of excitement going into the season, but a ton of unknowns, also. Can Coleman be effective this year? Has JWill and CJ improved their outside shot?

Too many variables to know where we stand right now.

I agree with this whole heartedly. From the look of it we should be very good, but we may not be great. Time will only tell. There are a lot of things that need to happen right, besides talent to be a good basketball team. Witness the USA basketball teams struggling in world competition (Until, this last Olympics).

As I posted in another thread, Chris, J-Will, and Tony played in 10 games together last year. They went 7-3 in those games. Three of the wins were against Grambling, Jackson, and UNO. So, against comparable talent they were 4-3. I know we have filled in a lot of key positions and beefed up our depth, but we don't know how it is going to play out.

Heck, apparently we are already down one guard before the opening tip.

• Upvote 1

I do not mind having tj sit a year. He just adds depth and experience to our class next year... We have jones Williams Williams mitchel and colman. I think we will do ok, especially if the real Patton shows up! Having tj wait a year just keeps us competitive the next 3 years...

• Upvote 1

So, against comparable talent they were 4-3.

Another note for the sake of context... One of those was the bizarre finish where Chris drove the lane with less than 5 seconds to go, and ASU caught a rebound carom and hit a half court shot at the buzzer to beat us. Another was a loss to UALR where a Jordan Williams 3 point shot at the buzzer didn't go in.

The only loss where we weren't shooting to win or tie with less than 3 seconds on the clock was LSU.

And to answer the question, I think it's Baylor, Texas, A&M, and then four teams who could stake a claim to that 4th spot. Houston, UTEP, us, and SMU. If Tech weren't already such a train wreck this season, they'd be in that mix, too. Lots of talent there, but it's a total basket case of a situation.

UTA and Lamar will probably end the season better than half of those four... But I don't know which ones.

SHSU, UTSA, Texas State, SFA, and A&M-Corpus probably aren't as good as UTA and Lamar this year, in my opinion.

And with Texas Southern... It's always hard to gauge SWAC teams against other competition because of the economic realities of their scheduling.

If you really twisted my arm... I'd put that second tier of teams in the following order: Houston, us, SMU, and UTEP.

EDIT because I forgot Rice and TCU (screw you, private colleges)

Rice is down there with the SHSU group. They lost their Persian guy for some reason... Transferred elsewhere. TCU is probably in the Lamar UTA group.

And to answer the question, I think it's Baylor, Texas, A&M, and then four teams who could stake a claim to that 4th spot. Houston, UTEP, us, and SMU. If Tech weren't already such a train wreck this season, they'd be in that mix, too. Lots of talent there, but it's a total basket case of a situation.

UTA and Lamar will probably end the season better than half of those four... But I don't know which ones.

SHSU, UTSA, Texas State, SFA, and A&M-Corpus probably aren't as good as UTA and Lamar this year, in my opinion.

And with Texas Southern... It's always hard to gauge SWAC teams against other competition because of the economic realities of their scheduling.

If you really twisted my arm... I'd put that second tier of teams in the following order: Houston, us, SMU, and UTEP.

EDIT because I forgot Rice and TCU (screw you, private colleges)

Rice is down there with the SHSU group. They lost their Persian guy for some reason... Transferred elsewhere. TCU is probably in the Lamar UTA group.

I have to ask... What has smu done to put themselves in the top programs in the state conversation? If history even recent history means anything then they should be on the also ran list shouldn't they?

I don't think this place comes unglued if we lose to Creighton.

At least, not the way the football board becomes unglued after the Houston loss.

Creighton will probably be ranked in top 10 when we play them

If we lose by 20 plus (which is a real possibility), watch this place come unhinged. Fewer visit here, so it won't be as bad as the football forum, but unhinged it will be.

Hopefully we win and are all rejoicing in anticipation of the K. St. inevitable match up.

Another note for the sake of context... One of those was the bizarre finish where Chris drove the lane with less than 5 seconds to go, and ASU caught a rebound carom and hit a half court shot at the buzzer to beat us. Another was a loss to UALR where a Jordan Williams 3 point shot at the buzzer didn't go in.

The only loss where we weren't shooting to win or tie with less than 3 seconds on the clock was LSU.

That's true and further illustrates my point that wacky things happening can lead to wins or losses.

One thing I think we should remember is that the Creighton game could very well be the most important game since basketball was invented.