How's It Going?

We've got one victory this season...and, it's over an FCS team.

We are going to be in the C-USA next season. And, allegedly, the competition will be stiffer.

I love Dan McCarney, but...we really are going to be needing some miracle/magical-type endings. Maybe like an Al Gore happy ending massage. I just don't see it.

I'll enjoy seeing the likes of Southern Miss and Tulsa in the stadium for the next few year, but I gotta wonder about things. Recruiting has got to pick up in a major whey.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

We are just in the beginning of the second season under Mac. It's going to take time. And, as we all know, we have to win. I am still very hopeful for this season to be special. It starts at FAU this Saturday!

Travis I accidentally gave you a -1. Will some one please correct my error?

We've got one victory this season...and, it's over an FCS team.

We are going to be in the C-USA next season. And, allegedly, the competition will be stiffer.

I love Dan McCarney, but...we really are going to be needing some miracle/magical-type endings. Maybe like an Al Gore happy ending massage. I just don't see it.

I'll enjoy seeing the likes of Southern Miss and Tulsa in the stadium for the next few year, but I gotta wonder about things. Recruiting has got to pick up in a major whey.

I'm confused...didn't you only expect us to go 5-7 or 4-8 this season? What you've seen so far has caused you to change that to 1-11? I don't get all the people jumping off the wagon and going nuts.

Through 4 games, we are pretty much who we thought we were going to be...a year away and a few playmakers away from turning the corner. I think with Freddie Warner and Sarge on the field, we probably don't lose that game to Troy. Bold statement as ST is what lost us the game, but I don't think Troy scores on us with those 2 guys out there. If we find a quality pass rusher to add to this front 7, we're going to be scary good on defense next year.

• Upvote 1

I'm confused...didn't you only expect us to go 5-7 or 4-8 this season? What you've seen so far has caused you to change that to 1-11? I don't get all the people jumping off the wagon and going nuts.

Through 4 games, we are pretty much who we thought we were going to be...a year away and a few playmakers away from turning the corner. I think with Freddie Warner and Sarge on the field, we probably don't lose that game to Troy. Bold statement as ST is what lost us the game, but I don't think Troy scores on us with those 2 guys out there. If we find a quality pass rusher to add to this front 7, we're going to be scary good on defense next year.

I said we'd go 5-7, but I wouldn't be surprised at 4-8.

After Texas State "upset" Houston, and other "little" schools beat "bigger" schools in the first two weeks, I thought 6-6 might be achievable for us.

Here's the problem - at the time I made my prediction, I made the assumption that an experienced defense and speical teams would cover an inexperienced defense to the five to six win plateau.

However, a third of the season is now gone, we're 1-3, and the script is completely flipped - the offense and special teams are struggling, and the defense is doing a pretty good job in spite of the inexperience all around it.

In my first prediction, I said we'd go 2-7 in the first nine games, then win the final three to go 5-7. Well...the last two games are against ULM and WKU on the road. You look at the way those two are playing versus what we're doing, and it's pretty safe to say that we're not going to be favored in those two.

So, how's it going? Well, we lost to one of the more beatable school in the Sun Belt last week. FAU is even more beatable. If our offense flounders against FAU, there are going to be many dark days the rest of the fall. FAU is horrible, worse that Troy. But, we couldn't nail Troy down.

What I'm saying is - there are problems. Moreso than any - but a few - of us could have imagined. A loss to FAU...I can't even imagine the scenario. The offense and special teams have got to do something.

Remaining games:

@ FAU (1-3): Only win a 7-3 fourth quarter comeback versus Wagner...the school, not the composer.

@ Houston (0-3): Sucking tremendously, paying the price for not having a real coaching search when Sumlin left.

Louisiana (2-1): Only loss to Oklahoma State.

@ Middle Tennessee (2-1): Lost to McNeese, beat crappy FAU and Memphis. The level of suck here is yet to be determined.

Arkansas State (2-2): Malzahn's one and done tour's only losses have been at Oregon and Nebraska.

South Alabama (1-3): Only win a 9-3 barnburner versus FCS Nicholls.

@ ULM (1-2): Beat Arkansas, took Auburn to overtime, led Baylor in 4th quarter.

@ WKU (3-1): Only loss to #1 Alabama; wins of Kentucky and Southern Miss.

FAU and South Alabama are the gimmies (?). Middle Tennessee is a push - winnable, but the two of us are competing for a certain level of mediocrity. This game will decide which is merely mediocre and which just sucks.

As much of a struggle as Houston is having, I still have a hard time imagining them losing to us. If they do, though, I can't imagine that they keep their head coach for a full year.

Louisiana, Arkansas State, ULM, and WKU are playing way above us so far.

So, we're staring at 3-9 now. If we can muster the mustard to get past MTSU, 4-8 is realistic. If we can really crank it up K-State game style, we can send Houston into football laughingstock hell. There's our 5-7. See how shaky it is?

Louisiana, Arkansas State, ULM, and WKU...those would be true upsets. I still hope we can get a win versus one of those four. But....

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

After Texas State "upset" Houston, and other "little" schools beat "bigger" schools in the first two weeks, I thought 6-6 might be achievable for us.

Here's the problem - at the time I made my prediction, I made the assumption that an experienced defense and speical teams would cover an inexperienced defense to the five to six win plateau.

However, a third of the season is now gone, we're 1-3, and the script is completely flipped - the offense and special teams are struggling, and the defense is doing a pretty good job in spite of the inexperience all around it.

In my first prediction, I said we'd go 2-7 in the first nine games, then win the final three to go 5-7. Well...the last two games are against ULM and WKU on the road. You look at the way those two are playing versus what we're doing, and it's pretty safe to say that we're not going to be favored in those two.

So, how's it going? Well, we lost to one of the more beatable school in the Sun Belt last week. FAU is even more beatable. If our offense flounders against FAU, there are going to be many dark days the rest of the fall. FAU is horrible, worse that Troy. But, we couldn't nail Troy down.

What I'm saying is - there are problems. Moreso than any - but a few - of us could have imagined. A loss to FAU...I can't even imagine the scenario. The offense and special teams have got to do something.

Remaining games:

@ FAU (1-3): Only win a 7-3 fourth quarter comeback versus Wagner...the school, not the composer.

@ Houston (0-3): Sucking tremendously, paying the proce for not having a real coaching search when Sumlin left.

@ Middle Tennessee (2-1): Lost to McNeese, beat crappy FAU and Memphis. The level of suck here is yet to be determined.

Arkansas State (2-2): Malzahn's one and done tour's only losses have been at Oregon and Nebraska.

FAU and South Alabama are the gimmies (?). Middle Tennessee is a push - winnable, but the two of us are competing for a certain level of mediocrity. This game will decide which is merely mediocre and which just sucks.

As much of a struggle as Houston is having, I still have a hard time imagining them losing to us. If they do, though, I can't imagine that they keep their head coach for a full year.

So, we're staring at 3-9 now. If we can muster the mustard to get past MTSU, 4-8 is realistic. If we can really crank it up K-State game style, we can send Houston into football laughingstock hell. There's our 5-7. See how shaky it is?

Louisiana, Arkansas State, ULM, and WKU...those would be true upsets. I still hope we can get a win versus one of those four. But....

I think we are all frustrated with Saturday, but the only thing that hasn't gone as expected so far is the Troy game. Realistically, LSU and KState were never wins. 5-5 over the remaining 10 games is very doable and doesn't always happen the way we expect.

The team will have to take care of business in the games they are expected to do well in (assumed to be favored/pick'em in FAU, USA, MTSU games) and then perform above expectations in one or more games we will be underdogs in (HOU, AKST, WKU, UL, ULM) to finish where most thought they would. It won't be easy the rest of the year and it sure won't get easier next year, but that is we play the games.

It starts with FAU.

• Upvote 1

Recruiting has got to pick up in a major whey.

People can make snarky comments about recruiting rankings all they want, but in the last ten years we have picked up exactly twenty one three stars and four four star ranked recruits.

All of those four stars were from JUCOS. So in the last DECADE we haven't been able to pick up a four star kid from high school.

Our recruiting classes have averaged out to about 102nd in the nation during that period, why in the world are we expecting mid 60s (or higher) finishes on the field?

Yes, I know ranking aren't perfect, not every player lives up/down to his ranking, but I think in the long run they are a good measure of success. I would KILL to have a 4* like Mike Pruitt terrorizing opposing centers and guards.

We all go to the games and love it, but this is college football, the real winning and losing happens during recruiting season. With the new stadium, student fee, conference change, etc, I think Coach Mac has a chance to turn this all around. But we have got to start winning in living rooms, once we do that we will win on the field.

• Upvote 2

Remaining games:

@ Houston (0-3): Sucking tremendously, paying the price for not having a real coaching search when Sumlin left.

How shaky are most 5-7 teams, though? I think your reaction is more about ULM and WKU turning out to be far better than anyone thought than about UNT being better/worse than we thought. Does that ultimately translate to UNT's record looking worse than last year? Maybe, maybe not. To me, we're sitting on the precipice of unleashing a really good defense. As Cerebus pointed out, we've got to start getting some recruiting wins, but players and parents usually need something to believe in before they'll sign if UNT is not their only/best D1 option. I think we're demonstrating that we're building a physical, tough-minded team built on defense and a bruising offensive line. I think that the people that know football will recognize that, and it's only a matter of time before it starts paying off.

People can make snarky comments about recruiting rankings all they want, but in the last ten years we have picked up exactly twenty one three stars and four four star ranked recruits.

All of those four stars were from JUCOS. So in the last DECADE we haven't been able to pick up a four star kid from high school.

Our recruiting classes have averaged out to about 102nd in the nation during that period, why in the world are we expecting mid 60s (or higher) finishes on the field?

Yes, I know ranking aren't perfect, not every player lives up/down to his ranking, but I think in the long run they are a good measure of success. I would KILL to have a 4* like Mike Pruitt terrorizing opposing centers and guards.

We all go to the games and love it, but this is college football, the real winning and losing happens during recruiting season. With the new stadium, student fee, conference change, etc, I think Coach Mac has a chance to turn this all around. But we have got to start winning in living rooms, once we do that we will win on the field.

Gotta think positive and gotta have some faith, we will get on track and go at least 500.

Long shot...but I will go out on a limb!

Here's the issue here. All we have been able to recruit folks to play at UNT was to play at Fouts and in the SBC, until the last few years. Going to CUSA should help on recruiting, but we aren't going to get a 4* HS kid here, unless its a coach's relative. The BIg XII, SEC, Notre Dame, other AQ power names, and a kid who lives in inner-city Houston that wants to stay at home at UH are where the 4 star kids go in this state. Sure, we can find examples of UNT getting a 4 or 5 star HS kid, but realistically, with a decades long history of suck football and support, the chances of getting HS kids that are ranked even 3 stars is very tough, but at least doable. The thing that should help us out with CUSA and recruiting is that a recruit's family members can actually attend a lot of games, where the SMU recruits, UH recruits, and Texas State recruits won't be able to say the same thing. BTW, it won't surprise me if UTSA gets an occasional 4* HS kid from down there that decides to stay close to home in SA. For many reasons, we know that Denton kids don't want to play here because of the way the town and university leadership has traditionally looked down on the program. The only thing Coach Mac can do to change that is to develop 1* and 2* talent into good solid players--which is exactly what he did at Iowa State. His method for building this program will take longer, since he has basically ignored the all-in JUCO route, but it may end up being Year 4 before we see a winning record here. I think next year, this team will be his best, but with the step up in conference competition, I envision a 5-6 win season. Maybe it will be Year three that ends up being the big break-thru year, like most of us thought when he got hired, but I think we still have a long way to go to be a winning program.