Derek Thompson

James329

I have said it since week one. Thompson is not a good QB. He lacks accuracy, decision making, and poise in the pocket.

I give the guy tremendous credit for last week vs Kstate. He deserves every bit of it, but this was just another bad showing. Without a good QB we will go no where.

So where is everyone now who was saying I knew nothing about football?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have said it since week one. Thompson is not a good QB. He lacks accuracy, decision making, and poise in the pocket.

I give the guy tremendous credit for last week vs Kstate. He deserves every bit of it, but this was just another bad showing. Without a good QB we will go no where.

So where is everyone now who was saying I knew nothing about football?

Don't listen to them. Some people think they know it all and if someone disagrees that person is automatically stupid in their opinion. DT is not a good QB but some people love him as a player, I don't know why. The next good throw he makes they will jump out of hiding and say I told you so right back, but the truth is he has been inconsistent and is not a good QB. He seems like a great guy but I think someone else deserves a chance because DT has been given every chance.

A game like tonight is one that snaps everyone, coaches and players included, back to reality. There is a good chance after tonight that a lot of change is about to come about and other players that haven't been given a shot will be given one.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

He's an absolute nightmare to watch, yet remains the best option UNT has at quarterback. The coaches are paying the price for not bringing in a couple of JUCO quarterbacks to possibly push for the job.

Do you have a source on that?

I seem to remember Osborn being one of the first JUCO recruits by McCarney and UNT before he replaced Dodge and a lot of the problems under the Dodge era was at the quarterback position. Dave Campbell's Texas Football cited that Osborn would have a chance at contending for the starting job. Our QB play is bad now and downright inconsistent at best. Again, I fault McCarney for not bringing in another JUCO quarterback or even a freshman to challenge for the starting job especially with a step up in competition next yera in C-USA.

He did make a few nice throws tonight but he made some that just made you shake your head. There was one in the 4th quarter on 4th down that he damn near threw out of the end zone and into the crowd. I'd like to think he could be a good "game manager" QB, but we don't have the playmakers to let him be that. I said it as soon as Berglund arrived but I think DT makes a nice backup QB next season

You think DT as a senior and having played the last 2 seasons as the starter will be the backup to a kid who hasn't played in 2 years at that point? I still don't think Berglund will ever play here. If he isn't the starter coming out of spring ball, he will most likely leave. Hope he stays and hope I am wrong, but these kids that go from school to school generally are not the team player types.

On a side note, the depth charts I have seen show Osborn or McNulty as the second string where as other positions just have a single second string player....does this mean that Osborn and McNulty is a choice?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You think DT as a senior and having played the last 2 seasons as the starter will be the backup to a kid who hasn't played in 2 years at that point? I still don't think Berglund will ever play here. If he isn't the starter coming out of spring ball, he will most likely leave. Hope he stays and hope I am wrong, but these kids that go from school to school generally are not the team player types.

On a side note, the depth charts I have seen show Osborn or McNulty as the second string where as other positions just have a single second string player....does this mean that Osborn and McNulty is a choice?

He may be the incumbent but he has had the job for two years and has made no progress. Sometimes all the progress in the world can't compensate for lack of intangibles, both physically and mentally.

As for Berglund, don't take too much stock in his school jumping. There was a coaching change and things didn't work out at Kansas, and he HAD to go to the JUCO, not his preference. Also, don't expect him to leave anytime soon. I think there is a rule that says you can't play for four colleges. That might be D1 or NCAA only and not include NJCAA but either way, if he transferred he'd have to sit out another year so I doubt that would be in his best interest.

From seeing his highlights in high school he clearly has the physical tools but the most important thing about Brock Berglund's past to me is that he is a winner. Take his back to back state championships for what you want (no bringing up Dodge family) but I respect that. I don't see how he doesn't at least outperform DT if he is given the chance DT has been given the past two years. Only time will tell though, so it should be interesting.

You think DT as a senior and having played the last 2 seasons as the starter will be the backup to a kid who hasn't played in 2 years at that point?

What has DT shown you over those 2 years that makes you think he is an above average QB, or even an average QB for that matter?

I hate to say it but DT is a middle of the pack QB in the Belt at best. Unless DT has a serious turnaround I think the chances of Brock starting next season are pretty good. Dude can run too, which give the offense another much needed option.

Edited by H-towngreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If middle of the pack QB means the kid can manage the game, i.e. no turnovers and get the ball to our playmakers, I'm all for him.

I haven't seen the game, but I wonder what the perception of DT would be if he wasn't missing these 2 - 3 wide open receivers.

We have many things that can get better. DT is only one of them.

• Upvote 2

As inconsistent as DT has been, this thing comes completely apart if he is not at QB. We have no depth at that position. It has been the biggest recruiting failure the past 2 years. Berglund is a high risk, high reward guy that will at least provide depth and options next year.

We desperately need to sign at least 2 QB's this class.

• Upvote 2