DRC Monday column: Snyder sees something familiar in UNT

Brett Vito

I wouldn't get too excited by this. Coaches always speak well of the teams they beat, especially if they have a relationship with the head coach on the other team.

When LSU beat us in 2008, Les Miles praised us and said we would compete for the Sun Belt title.

We all know how that worked out.

Lots to be excited about, but typical coach speak shouldn't be one of then.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I wouldn't get too excited by this. Coaches always speak well of the teams they beat, especially if they have a relationship with the head coach on the other team.

When LSU beat us in 2008, Les Miles praised us and said we would compete for the Sun Belt title.

We all know how that worked out.

Lots to be excited about, but typical coach speak shouldn't be one of then.

Agree 90, but like most of you, I have been watching this team for some time now. In that time I can not remember seeing any games against ranked opponents that we looked like we belonged on the same field. Remember how excited we got when we held Texas scoreless in the second half of the 2002 game? They still beat us by 27 and we did not score.

Like you say plenty to be excited about...... Now, are we improving as fast as a few others in the Sun Belt? In years past I would think this team would be a lock to finish top 2. This year I am not so sure.

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 1

Agree 90, but like most of you, I have been watching this team for some time now. In that time I can not remember seeing any games against ranked opponents that we looked like we belonged on the same field. Remember how excited we got when we held Texas scoreless in the second half of the 2002 game? They still beat us by 27 and we did not score.

Like you say plenty to be excited about...... Now, are we improving as fast as a few others in the Sun Belt? In years past I would think this team would be a lock to finish top 2. This year I am not so sure.

Your conference opponents know you best and know how to prepare for you (don't forget how people were saying FIU would go unbeaten last year. Didn't happen). I will be happy with 7 wins this year.

I am encouraged that we scored 35 points against 2 ranked teams this year WHEN THOSE POINTS MATTER (unlike the 20 some odd points scored by Ark St. against Oregon after being down over 50 points at the half).

I am encouraged by a secondary that, until the late 3rd and 4th quarter of the K St. game, has looked muched improved from last year.

I am encouraged by the team speed and size increase from 2 years ago.

I am encouraged by the offensive discipline when it comes to penalties (now, if the special teams could just get some of that discipline when it comes to execution).

I am far more encouraged by the above things than a coach saying nice things about us after beating us by 14 points.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Your conference opponents know you best and know how to prepare for you (don't forget how people were saying FIU would go unbeaten last year. Didn't happen). I will be happy with 7 wins this year.

I am encouraged that we scored 35 points against 2 ranked teams this year WHEN THOSE POINTS MATTER (unlike the 20 some odd points scored by Ark St. against Oregon after being down over 50 points at the half).

I am encouraged by a secondary that, until the late 3rd and 4th quarter of the K St. game, has looked muched improved from last year.

I am encouraged by the team speed and size increase from 2 years ago.

I am encouraged by the offensive discipline when it comes to penalties (now, if the special teams could just get some of that discipline when it comes to execution).

I am far more encouraged by the above things than a coach saying nice things about us after beating us by 14 points.

You sound encouraged!

I say we stomp the belt this year. We took the first 4 belt championships lets leave with one more.