My Take on Tonights Game

cl_1_2008

When you go into a game as a big underdog, you have to make big plays. The play-calling tonight was EXTREMELY conservative. Before that last drive, I think we only threw 1 pass on first down. If you only pass in obvious passing situations, that makes your offense very predictable, making it harder to break a big play. You complain about DT, but when the defense knows you're gonna pass, it makes his job significantly harder. Sure, a conservative game-plan will keep the game close, but it also makes it damn near impossible to win. You can't afford to make any mistakes. Unfortunately, we made several mistakes.

On defense, I wasn't nearly as impressed as everyone else. The main reason the defense looked good was because the offense controlled the clock for pretty much the whole game. In the first half Kansas State had the ball 5 times. 2 3-and-outs, a long drive where we forced a fumble, a TD, and then the pick at the end of the half. The 2nd half, they had the ball 4 times. 3 TDs, and then they ran the clock out on their last possession. That's 8 full possessions(9 if you wanna count running out the clock) and 4 TDs. Our best defense tonight was our offense, period. I wasn't a fan of the defensive game-plan either. We got absolutely zero pressure on Klein the entire game. It seemed like we only sent a blitz a few times tonight, whereas in the past few games, I felt as if we were sending people nearly every play. And our corners were playing 12 yards off their receivers, basically allowing them to just play catch all night. We started great, but after that, we weren't very good.

As for special teams, I think we already know how everyone feels about that. However, I'm not calling for Riddle's job or anything.

To sum this all up, if you came into this game expecting to get blown out, you were probably thrilled with our performance. I, on the other hand, honestly expected to win this game. My thoughts were only reinforced after watching the first half. We flat-out dominated this game on both sides of the ball for 38 minutes, yet we were still down one(because of special teams). You just CANNOT allow that to happen if you want to pull an upset. Sure, the officiating sucked, but we still had plenty of opportunities. The coaching in all 3 phases kind of let me down today, not because we don't have great coaches(we do), but because I don't think this is a game-plan you draw up if you really think you can win(and we could have). You gotta take risks you normally wouldn't if you wanna pull upsets. That's just the way it is. But we don't play Kansas State or LSU again, so I think this is the last time you'll see a such a conservative game-plan.

Now all that being said, the team we played today was 3 times as talented as anyone we'll see for the rest of the year. So through 3 games, with what I've seen, I will be upset if we lose more than 4 games, barring any additional injuries, and it wouldn't surprise me a single bit if we went 10-2. I know after the past 8 years, everyone on here is conditioned to be pessimistic. Well fellas, those days are over. Next week, we kick Troy's ass. Hop on the bandwagon or get left behind, because this team is going bowling, and you can take that to the bank.

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Playing against a defense in Cover-2 all night long with 5-yd drops by their CB's really limits the downfield opportunities. We took what they gave us (and then some).

Well, you can kill a team in Cover 2 by hitting them in the middle intermediate to middle deep zone. Of course, we all know how the downfield passing game has worked for us. It was a good gameplan tonight, IMO.

• Upvote 1

I think we lack speed at the skilled position except for a few players. Some of the true freshman should get more of an opportunity to make an impact. We need to pass the ball more, and when we do we shouldn't look for the home run play. Short passes and more the chains. Why haven't we seen #3 Chancellor and #9 Harris on the field together? Both fast! Speed kills

• Upvote 2

I think we lack speed at the skilled position except for a few players. Some of the true freshman should get more of an opportunity to make an impact. We need to pass the ball more, and when we do we shouldn't look for the home run play. Short passes and more the chains. Why haven't we seen #3 Chancellor and #9 Harris on the field together? Both fast! Speed kills

Welcome to the board!

I liked what I saw out of Delgado. Just like you need speedy playmakers, you need those steady hands that you know will catch the ball when it comes their way.

• Upvote 1

When you go into a game as a big underdog, you have to make big plays. The play-calling tonight was EXTREMELY conservative. Before that last drive, I think we only threw 1 pass on first down. If you only pass in obvious passing situations, that makes your offense very predictable, making it harder to break a big play. You complain about DT, but when the defense knows you're gonna pass, it makes his job significantly harder. Sure, a conservative game-plan will keep the game close, but it also makes it damn near impossible to win. You can't afford to make any mistakes. Unfortunately, we made several mistakes.

On defense, I wasn't nearly as impressed as everyone else. The main reason the defense looked good was because the offense controlled the clock for pretty much the whole game. In the first half Kansas State had the ball 5 times. 2 3-and-outs, a long drive where we forced a fumble, a TD, and then the pick at the end of the half. The 2nd half, they had the ball 4 times. 3 TDs, and then they ran the clock out on their last possession. That's 8 full possessions(9 if you wanna count running out the clock) and 4 TDs. Our best defense tonight was our offense, period. I wasn't a fan of the defensive game-plan either. We got absolutely zero pressure on Klein the entire game. It seemed like we only sent a blitz a few times tonight, whereas in the past few games, I felt as if we were sending people nearly every play. And our corners were playing 12 yards off their receivers, basically allowing them to just play catch all night. We started great, but after that, we weren't very good.

As for special teams, I think we already know how everyone feels about that. However, I'm not calling for Riddle's job or anything.

To sum this all up, if you came into this game expecting to get blown out, you were probably thrilled with our performance. I, on the other hand, honestly expected to win this game. My thoughts were only reinforced after watching the first half. We flat-out dominated this game on both sides of the ball for 38 minutes, yet we were still down one(because of special teams). You just CANNOT allow that to happen if you want to pull an upset. Sure, the officiating sucked, but we still had plenty of opportunities. The coaching in all 3 phases kind of let me down today, not because we don't have great coaches(we do), but because I don't think this is a game-plan you draw up if you really think you can win(and we could have). You gotta take risks you normally wouldn't if you wanna pull upsets. That's just the way it is. But we don't play Kansas State or LSU again, so I think this is the last time you'll see a such a conservative game-plan.

Now all that being said, the team we played today was 3 times as talented as anyone we'll see for the rest of the year. So through 3 games, with what I've seen, I will be upset if we lose more than 4 games, barring any additional injuries, and it wouldn't surprise me a single bit if we went 10-2. I know after the past 8 years, everyone on here is conditioned to be pessimistic. Well fellas, those days are over. Next week, we kick Troy's ass. Hop on the bandwagon or get left behind, because this team is going bowling, and you can take that to the bank.

Go Mean Green!

Very nice analysis. Really enjoyed reading that.

We needed a little luck and a break or two to go our way. It just didn't happen. 3 or 4 years ago we would have been blown out.

Every game we play from here on we have a good chance of winning. How long has it been since anyone felt that was realistic?

I will not nitpick. GMG

4 years ago we were blown out...I believe the final was 41-6 and the game was never in doubt. Tonight, we gave them a scare, at least for 3 quarters.

• Upvote 1

Don't get me wrong, the offense was really good. I was just saying that I would have liked us to take some shots down-field, on 1st down. One big play could have swung this game.

I agree, I think we played it a little too conservative, would have liked to pass on 1 and 2 a little more...short and intermediate passes, occasional long pass...I think the game changed late when we had a 4th and 1 and punted...already down by 14 pts or so...it killed our drive and turned it over to K State, and we knew our secondary couldn't cover the receivers...our secondary and special teams killed us...that said..I have to say I was proud of how we played tonight against the 14th ranked K state. The change in EVERYTHING concerning UNT football is dramatic...facilities, coaching, money, tailgating, fun...Our future is very bright...way to go team !!
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Go Mean Green!

I agree. I think we should have been on the attack much more than we were. Sometimes, the media BS about who is better than whom can psych you out at the highest levels. That being said, I'm pleased with our progress.

• Upvote 1

I like to think that we have a staff capable of being creative while at the same time teaching execution. Maybe specific opponents dictate a need for one over the other.

Sometimes we've seen success throwing everything in the book at an opponent (Fouts finale), and sometimes we just out muscle them in the trenches (today? I haven't seen the tape).

Maybe it will all come together one day, but for now I would be fine with however the wins come. Anyone remember the 1990s Huskers? Everyone knew they were going to run, and no one could stop them.

With this staff, I wouldn't read too much into play calling one way or the other.

• Upvote 1

Go Mean Green!

I agree 100%, but I don't think it's going to change. Remember when that Iowa State fan was all over our message boards when we hired Mac, telling us how lucky we were and how we were going to play. he basically said we would be tough, hard-nosed, clock controlling team. He also said, that the Iowa St. fans got tired of his play it safe mentality and that was why they got rid of him, but now they were sorry. I think that's exactly what we've got. I don't think it will change.

It's not bad because we are already now a tough team to play against. The reason Harry posted in another thread how he had never felt this way about the program. I think what we're going to see is a lot of close games, where when we lose we'll be frustrated in the conservative plan, and when we win we'll forget about it. But I also think very soon, we'll start winning more than losing.

• Upvote 2

Canales did a lot of creative things side line to side line to spread the defense and open running lanes and throwing lanes. I just don't think we have the receivers to consistenly challenge teams deep. We may never be a spread offense with Mac as head coach but with Canales we can still be very creative.

I agree. We have to play to our strengths and throwing downfield is not one of our strengths. We have some play makers, but I don't think Thompson has the long distance accuracy and we don't have the WR speed, outside of Chancellor.

The only coaching call I questioned was in the first half when Mac decided to kick a 45 yard FG on 4th and 1. If you truly believe in this team, you go for it. I feel like with the way we were moving the ball, we could have gotten the 1st down, which would have given us some momentum and we could have potentially tied the game at 14-14.

• Upvote 1

BEAT TROY! I think this team is ready to take on the Sunbelt and give everyone a run for their money and the conference crown. Really looking forward to next Saturday's HOME GAME!

Some really nice play by some individual Mean Greens last evening....I think this team is ready to challenge in the Sunbelt. Starting with a win over Troy...of course!

• Upvote 1

i think conservative is just going to be our style, throwing deep only 3-4 times a game. i'm not going to say that dt can't throw the deep ball down field yet, but he does struggle with those passes. the longest throw of the night should have been picked, so i think canales was playing it safe. canales was very creative in this game and almost everything he called was working. he had a great game, but none of it works without the o-line.

• Upvote 1

That was not a conservative game plan, it was the right game plan. NT moved the ball most of the night and was largely successful keeping KSU's offense off the field. The game was lost by special teams with both the offense and defense having very good games relative to the competition.

KSU is largely a power running team and NT almost eliminated that, forcing KSU to throw. Unfortunately, Klein got better in the second half and make NT pay for their single coverages. NT does not have the speed at wr to go long against a team with KSU's talent in the defensive backfield. Chancellor was pretty much eliminated from the passing game, but Canales and McCarney were able to get him the ball a lot more than the TSU game.

Years ago, pass oriented teams could beat talent with a hot QB and the right schemes. That does not happen as much anymore as the defenses have caught up and even the pass oriented teams tend to concentrate on the short passing games.

NT did not lose the game because of the plan and certainly not the coaching (special teams excluded), but because KSU was the better team.

• Upvote 3

I said before this gaame that we would likely see conservative play calling until Troy, unless we were in the game in the 2nd half against KSt. I think we did see a little more creative calls towards the end of the 1st half and through the end of the game (wildcat, shovel pass on the 2pt conversion, etc).

When we executed the shovel pass out of the 3 WR right formation to get the 2pt conversion, I actually said "I kind of wish we would have saved that for Troy."

That is when I remembered, we are in ever game to win it.

Weird, I said the exact same thing. And then remembered the same thing. Was your next thought, well that will give Troy something else to worry about? And then think, cool we're giving teams something to worry about. I'll stop with the mind dump now.

• Upvote 1