The Killer tonight

Harry

In some games, there are certain plays that absolutely change the face of the game no matter what outstanding effort or gameplay took place prior. Essentially, this kick off return for a TD was one of those plays.

We had done such a FANTASTIC job driving it down the field, eating up clock, holding their vaunted offense on D...that one play systematically took everything we had accomplished and flushed it down the toilet.

There were two things that I saw. 1) it appeared to be a line drive kick with very little hang time which put the coverage team in dire straights from the start. 2). The coverage team has had a tendency to over run the play, ie I saw at least 2 guys go past the runner leaving him free to adjust to his field vision and accelerate up the field.

I know this sounds like a give up but you're better off kicking the damn ball out of bounds!

The good news is that this can be fixed. The bad news is it immediately gave K-State a get out of jail free card and brought the crowd back into the game. If this doesn't get corrected we will lose a lot of games we could have won.

We should be angle kicking all punts and kickoffs for the rest of the year.

We are just terrible on coverage units right now. And FG team blocking. And punt team blocking (at least 'm worried about it because all the other units have sucked).

Angle kick everything and go for it on every 4th and 1 or 2 inside the opponents 45.

• Upvote 1

We should be angle kicking all punts and kickoffs for the rest of the year.

We are just terrible on coverage units right now. And FG team blocking. And punt team blocking (at least 'm worried about it because all the other units have sucked).

Angle kick everything and go for it on every 4th and 1 or 2 inside the opponents 45.

You know people are going to say that is an overreaction but I agree with you 90... It's killing us!

You know people are going to say that is an overreaction but I agree with you 90... It's killing us!

I remember Mac saying "we need to work more on special teams" before the LSU game. In coach speak, that is basically saying you know your special teams suck.

I really think this has to do with our lack of depth. Yes, we are better, but your second and third teamers make up your special teams unit, and we are really suffering for it right now. A few more recruiting classes and we will be better.

• Upvote 1

Will be interesting to hear what Coach mac says about special teams at Monday evening's Coach mac show at Rudy's. We know he won't go into too many details, but am pretty sure he'll have a word or two to say about it...doubt he'll say much about the officiating as I think there are conference rules against public "badmouthing" of officials. And, heck, the officials didn't make K-St. run that kick-off back nor make our DVB's let those two K-State receivers get so far behind them on the two TD catches. Take those three mistakes away and to heck with the officials' calls.

I had a coach tell our team once that if you are complaining about the refs causing us to lose, you are on the wrong team...went on to say something like...all refs are "bad" from time to time, we need to make the plays that win the game...winning and losing is up to us...no excuses! Can't say as I bought that hook, line and sinker as a player on his team, but think it works pretty well regarding the officials at Saturday's K-State-UNT game.

Edit: Just so everyone is clear here...I did think the refs stunk up the place in that game! Very bad job overall.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1

Really, all of the excuses aside, we played well and KSU didn't until the 2nd half. Snyder adjusted Klein's game at halftime and from then on we would have had to play lights out to beat them. I'd say the D was nowhere to be found in the 2nd half. Klein just stood there until someone came open. We missed McCoy and Philips. But in the end we have a secondary player that has the most tackles on the team and that is a stat that has to change if we're going to compete with big dogs.

• Upvote 1