Coach Mac Comments after K-State

Harry

A lot of the game effort was good we won't settle for losing

I came to North Texas to build it the right way and tonight we didn't get it done.

If we're ok with losing then I'm in the wrong place.

It's not good enough to lose and play a good game.

We came here believing we could win this game.

This should make us sick for 24 hours and after that we need to move on and win the Sun Belt conference.

You should have better results with the completion percentage Thompson had tonight.

Our special teams hurt us tonight...we gotta get that fixed. It needs to become a strength.

When you go all night long and you never get any heat on the quarterback you don't lay a hand on him he'll make you look silly.

Derek Thompson is a player - he looked really good - he made good decisions - he has great pride and the entire team does and losing really hurts, I knew he would come back after TSU and play well and he did.

On oline - I saw some good positive things from the O-Line - when you lose a game it is as a team - there's some maturity about this group. We all feel good about winning and we hate losing.

I'm not happy about the loss either, and I agree w/ everything Coach Mac said, but at the same time, when was the last time we played a top 15 team, and played like we belonged on the same field with them?

It sucks that we lost because everyone felt like we could have won the game, and that hasn't been the case for a long time.

The "good" I take from this game is that I truly believe again that we are getting REAL close to finishing some of the games! That gets me excited!

Fill up Apogee Saturday and Go MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 6

I came to North Texas to build it the right way and tonight we didn't get it done.

This should make us sick for 24 hours and after that we need to move on and win the Sun Belt conference.

You should have better results with the completion percentage Thompson had tonight.

Our special teams hurt us tonight...we gotta get that fixed. It needs to become a strength.

When you go all night long and you never get any heat on the quarterback you don't lay a hand on him he'll make you look silly.

Derek Thompson is a player - he looked really good - he made good decisions - he has great pride and the entire team does and losing really hurts, I knew he would come back after TSU and play well and he did.

On oline - I saw some good positive things from the O-Line - when you lose a game it is as a team - there's some maturity about this group. We all feel good about winning and we hate losing.

I started as a die-hard mean green fan in 2005. I have not seen any UNT football performance nor heard any coach more inspiring than tonight. GO MEAN GREEN!

Edited by chrisfisher
  • Upvote 2

I agree 100% with his summary. The only thing I would add is that I thought the inexperience in the secondary got exposed a little tonight. There were several breakdowns. Except for adding 1 to the loss column, lots and lots of positives to take away from the game.

Saw lot's of comments about how K-State looked off and did not look as sharp as they did against Miami. I think the reason for that was less about K-State and more about North Texas. There is nothing more satisfying than watching your team run the ball down the other team's throat.

• Upvote 4

I agree 100% with his summary. The only thing I would add is that I thought the inexperience in the secondary got exposed a little tonight. There were several breakdowns. Except for adding 1 to the loss column, lots and lots of positives to take away from the game.

Saw lot's of comments about how K-State looked off and did not look as sharp as they did against Miami. I think the reason for that was less about K-State and more about North Texas. There is nothing more satisfying than watching your team run the ball down the other team's throat.

Yep. That was big-time, run it down their throat and straight up their arse power-football. It's one thing to implement that type of game against Texas Southern, but it is completely another against legit Top 25 competition. We put on our big-boy pants last night and physically dominated Kansas State for 3 quarters. We can win out the rest of the reason if we play like we did last night minus the special teams disaster (that's what lost us this game).

• Upvote 1

Hmmm, did I hear "I DIDN'T COME HERE TO LOSE!" in most of his statements?

• Upvote 2

Coach Mac's definition of "glory years" is to take and establish this program at heights that have not been achieved in Denton before. I firmly believe under his leadership this program is a year-plus ahead of schedule toward achieving that.

Go Mean Green!

Edited by UNT Mean Green
  • Upvote 1

I watched on TV at home and LOVED watched us move the pile against K State. I had this feeling before the season started that great O line play would be the key to staying in games against ranked opponents, and that appears to be happening. I agree with whoever mentioned how a lot of credit should go to Simmonds and Wintrich. Simmonds has been a real hero is his personal life, and I think we're very fortunate to have him here.

• Upvote 1

This is why I love McCarney. While everyone is patting themselves on the back for "staying close" and "competing," he goes ahead and gets to the heart of the matter.

Klein completed 75% of his passes, two for TDs; ran for 85 and another TD; and, he wasn't sacked.

K-State ran for 143 of 28 attempts. We are happy about our rushing against them, but gained basically the same amount of yardage -145 - but on 40 attempts.

Defensive line play is a problem. Fortunately, the problems there will be less noticable against Sun Belt opponents (?).

Defensive line play is a problem. Fortunately, the problems there will be less noticable against Sun Belt opponents (?).

1. Agree. Needs to improve. UNT must get consistent pressure on the QB to help make up for the young secondary, otherwise there's going to be trouble.

2. Maybe. Hopefully. And keep in mind that the secondary will improve as the season progresses.