Sold Out Games

MeanGreen61

Post on the CUSA board sez that SMU is expecting a record crowd for Saturday's game vs Texas A&M/ Some temporary bleachers are being installed.

Post on the Belt board sez Troy has only 2,000 tickets remaining & they should be sold out for the Mississippi State game.

Why not. It will be a home game for the Aggies.

• Upvote 3

Remember, our largest home crowd ever was when we hosted the Aggies at Texas Stadium. A little over 45K as I recall with them outnumbering us by at least 5,000. A&M will have about 25,000 at Ford, mark my words.

And having been to a few of those old Aggie/SMU or Aggie/TCU SWC "classics" in Dallas and Fort Worth (or watched them on TV) I will say that North Texas had as many fans at that one Texas Stadium game as the Mustangs and Frog fans of that old SWC era gone by most times ever drew. In fact, that crowd would have probably challenged any of TCU's Top 10 top Amon Carter home attendance figures. (Listened to some of the TCU pre-game broadcast last Saturday and even their broadcast team said Amon Carter had had so few sellouts since it first expanded to about 47,000---and now it seats a projected 45,000).

One can only ask "what if" North Texas had had all those visiting SWC fans from UT, TAMU, TTech, etc) coming to Denton all those decades how that would have enabled us to galvanize a much larger UNT alumnus body into Mean Green fans because of their having been more interest in such games? I'd say a difference of night and day compared to present time.

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was very pleased to see SMU get destroyed by A&M on their home turf. Very enjoyable. Good for them though getting A&M to come to them. Hopefully, we can pull something like this off in the near future and sell out Apogee.

• Upvote 1

In watching the Aggie-SMU game, it was very interesting. There will big sections of good seats unfilled. I was told that SMU had an Alumni buy them just they kept more Aggie fans further away from the field, where the temporrar bleachers were built. I believe he is telling the truth. Very strange in-deed. And, their were like 8 SMU students giving the Pony up that got lots of airtime......only because no one else could be found by the cameras.

• Upvote 1