Brett Vito Interviews Josh Friar

Harry

Tasty, I respect and understand your opinion. Unfortunately, coaches are measured more by wins and losses than by scholarship retention rates. At a university, right or wrong, it seems to go against the mission of a school which is to educate young people first and provide extra-curricular opportunities second. But as I stated earlier, a coach's job security is tied to winning percentage so decisions like these are made.

The primary part of that mission is still in tact. You did not include anything about that education being free. It's not like he was kicked out of the school. He would have just had to pay for it like the majority of other students and their families.

I disagree that the second part of the schools mission is to provide extra-curricular opportunities. There are likely even more things that come before that, but your point is understood.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So NT signs a promising young player and the board devolves into another he said-she said bitch fest. Typical.

Everytime it looks like it's going to die down, it starts back up. It is what it is but I love the way Benford is trying to build this team from the inside out in recruiting. Guards slip through the cracks but coveted big guys can be hard to land.

The primary part of that mission is still in tact. You did not include anything about that education being free. It's not like he was kicked out of the school. He would have just had to pay for it like the majority of other students and their families.

I disagree that the second part of the schools mission is to provide extra-curricular opportunities. There are likely even more things that come before that, but your point is understood.

Drawn in again, he would not have to pay for his education at NT this year. He was on scholarship, his ship was renewed; the school could not take it away at that point. Again this was not a case of a ship not being renewed, apparently a difficult concept. Norris could have stayed in a very uncomfortable position, the school had to honor their contract if Norris had not transferred.

• Upvote 1

Drawn in again, he would not have to pay for his education at NT this year. He was on scholarship, his ship was renewed; the school could not take it away at that point. Again this was not a case of a ship not being renewed, apparently a difficult concept. Norris could have stayed in a very uncomfortable position, the school had to honor their contract if Norris had not transferred.

So it was Norris's decision?

So it was Norris's decision?

Sure, like when they tell someone at work they should look for another position. I am amazed that you (not the plural you) keep trying to justify something that has no justification other than winning is important enough to force a player off the team.

Like the example employee who is told he better look elsewhere, he could have stayed around where he is not wanted and denied the wishes of his coach with little chance to play and the almost sure non-renewal of his scholarship next year. That is not a choice and even the biggest apologist for the action should be able to recognize it.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

Sure, like when they tell someone at work they should look for another position. I am amazed that you (not the plural you) keep trying to justify something that has no justification other than winning is important enough to renege on a contract.

And I am amazed that you feel it would be better for Norris to sit at the end of the bench for 4 years instead of going somewhere that he can actually play basketball while in college. And, like YOU said, it was Norris's choice.

And I'm sorry our basketball team is getting too good for your liking. ;)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Everyone knows life isn't fair. By all means everyone is entitled their opinion, but the FACT is that it happened so can we please move past this? Unrighteous occurrences will happen for the rest of humanity but you have to move on eventually. Sorry to sound like a philosopher but nothing is going to bring Trey back so let's just let it be what it is, because nothing can be done to change it at this point except arguing around in a circle.

• Downvote 1

Back to Josh, I will give reports this season. I go to most games. My son plays on the sophomore team. Kingwood is a very successful program. Coach Huseman is considered one of the best in the high school ranks. Runs a very disciplined team oriented program.

Awesome! I, for one, am very interested to see the numbers he puts up this year. Hopefully he can play a ton this year and get all the game experience he can. I appreciate the updates in advance!

And I am amazed that you feel it would be better for Norris to sit at the end of the bench for 4 years instead of going somewhere that he can actually play basketball while in college. And, like YOU said, it was Norris's choice.

And I'm sorry our basketball team is getting too good for your liking. ;)

Neither you or I know how good a player Trey is at this point, but what you fail to grasp is it does not matter to me. The ethics of the situation does not change if a reincarnated Wilt Chamberlain wanted to come to NT under the same circumstances and NT provided a ship by removing any current player, no matter what their ability.

Your other comment, is too infantile to elicit a response, other than I am again amazed.

• Upvote 3

The ethics of the situation does not change if a reincarnated Wilt Chamberlain wanted to come to NT under the same circumstances and NT provided a ship by removing any current player, no matter what their ability.

This is the gist of it, to me. That, and the fact that this is not the NBA.

Not trying to convince anyone of anything; and I don't think anyone is changing their mind anyway. I don't intend to bring it up again. It bothers the hell out of me, I understand the POV where it doesn't seem like a big deal, I'm not trying to judge or scold anyone that doesn't share my thoughts, and I'm not trying to be the moral crusader that craps all over the program. I think that about covers it.

I think this was supposed to be from a quote in my post? If I'm wrong, please ignore.

Again, in brief... (Theoretically, I'm supposed to be working, and I'm wasting way too much time with this today): I'm not saying this is a Penn State or Baylor/Dave Bliss level of questionable ethics. But I do think this is ethically troublesome. Thought so when it happened at other schools, and I'm not inclined to ignore or excuse it away just because it means we could win another game or two this season, or that we might have jumped up from an 8-10% chance at an NCAA win (assuming a berth) to a 15% chance.

There are a lot of things inherent in college sports that are ethically troublesome. But within that framework of icky-ness, I think our school and our athletics department have done a commendable job overall. There may be times when they make me want to slap my head, but I've rarely felt the need to shake my head. And when I have, it's generally been a hypocrisy thing (like the timeline on Sam Dibrell's situation) rather than something where I feel like we (as an institution) have acted unfairly or negatively towards our student athletes.

I think this was supposed to be from a quote in my post? If I'm wrong, please ignore.

Again, in brief... (Theoretically, I'm supposed to be working, and I'm wasting way too much time with this today): I'm not saying this is a Penn State or Baylor/Dave Bliss level of questionable ethics. But I do think this is ethically troublesome. Thought so when it happened at other schools, and I'm not inclined to ignore or excuse it away just because it means we could win another game or two this season, or that we might have jumped up from an 8-10% chance at an NCAA win (assuming a berth) to a 15% chance.

There are a lot of things inherent in college sports that are ethically troublesome. But within that framework of icky-ness, I think our school and our athletics department have done a commendable job overall. There may be times when they make me want to slap my head, but I've rarely felt the need to shake my head. And when I have, it's generally been a hypocrisy thing (like the timeline on Sam Dibrell's situation) rather than something where I feel like we (as an institution) have acted unfairly or negatively towards our student athletes.

Thanks! for clarifying.

• Upvote 2