Brett Vito Interviews Josh Friar

Harry

I know his scholarship was renewed, unfortunately that was before Taylor came on board which I know makes it seem even more unjust. I really wish we had another scholarship for him because he really seemed to like it here and always looked happy on campus. I don't like the way it happened at all but I understand why Benford did it and I hope you guys can at some point. He is our coach and he needs full support from our fan base even if we disagree with how he has handled this situation.

About my academic scholarships quote/argument/theory, that was meant to apply to general students who are on academic scholarship and underperform in the classroom, not athletes.

As for your argument MeanGreenTexan, I understand he was a freshman but college basketball is a sport where you can tell early on who is going to end up being a player. Basketball is not like football where a player can make tremendous physical growth in a few years since height generally does not change much after you arrive on campus. It's more about honing your skills. I don't see how Trey's numbers and contributions to this team would have gotten that much better, especially with how buried he was going to be.

I know I left a lot to disagree with, and that's fine it's your opinion, but I HATE the way this happened too and I really do hope the best for Trey. I just choose to look at it from Coach Benford's perspective and support him along with all the current players. I know you guys are all huge fans too, but I just don't see the point in staying sour about something that is done. Argue all you want, just please support the whole team including Coach Benford once the season starts.

• Upvote 1

People who think Benford is a terrible guy for what happened with Trey, can we all remember that JJ "promised" Trey the full ride, not Benford? It also seems very probable that coach Benford did everything he could to make sure Trey got a scholarship somewhere else.

I was born in Tennessee so I have followed the UT Vols my whole life, and their current head coach Derek Dooley has made an interesting point. If a kid comes to school on an academic scholarship and can't maintain his/her GPA nobody has a problem with the University taking that away, but people view a coach as the worst person in the world if they take an athletic scholarship away when an athlete fails to perform at the level they were supposed to when they accepted the scholarship. It is unfortunate, but people need to realize that Trey did not produce the way he was supposed to last season, and presumably when coach Benford arrived.

I think this will work out best for everyone since Trey was behind two stud point guards, not to mention two stud combo guards in Alzee and TJ on the depth chart. He has a chance to be a three year starter and still will never have to pay for college.

I agree. It's an ATHLETIC scholarship, after all. If you don't hold up the athletic end, why would you expect your free ride to continue.

I wish Trey the best and am happy he is at a place where he will get a chance to contribute on a college basketball team. That would not have happened at UNT if he had stayed.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

As for your argument MeanGreenTexan, I understand he was a freshman but college basketball is a sport where you can tell early on who is going to end up being a player. Basketball is not like football where a player can make tremendous physical growth in a few years since height generally does not change much after you arrive on campus. It's more about honing your skills. I don't see how Trey's numbers and contributions to this team would have gotten that much better, especially with how buried he was going to be.

Again, how do we know? I could tell when Norris was on the floor that he was a speedy, pass-first PG with skills. Was he as good as Jones? No. Was he as good as Alzee? No. Was he as good as Hardwick? Who knows?

What does height have to do with anything? By the way, I've heard that Jordan Williams has grown an inch or two taller over the year! Sweet!

How do we know how burried he was going to be? We don't.

I know I left a lot to disagree with, and that's fine it's your opinion, but I HATE the way this happened too and I really do hope the best for Trey. I just choose to look at it from Coach Benford's perspective and support him along with all the current players. I know you guys are all huge fans too, but I just don't see the point in staying sour about something that is done. Argue all you want, just please support the whole team including Coach Benford once the season starts.

It sounds like we agree. And please don't think that I don't support coach Benford or the team. I'm 100% behind coach Benford and the guys. I'm super excited for the upcoming season.

Maybe I should take a queue from Tasty and just shut up.

• Upvote 2

Basketball is not like football where a player can make tremendous physical growth in a few years since height generally does not change much after you arrive on campus. It's more about honing your skills. I don't see how Trey's numbers and contributions to this team would have gotten that much better, especially with how buried he was going to be.

Overall, I am completely neutral on the subject. I just don't know all the facts. A lot of speculation. I couldn't pass up this statement, however. This is completely inaccurate. Witness Alzee Williams for example.

Freshman Year - 1.9 pts, 33% from the floor

Sits out a year injured

Soph Year - 10.5 pts, 47% from the floor

• Upvote 3

I see what you did there...count me in!

Maybe. The founding members will have to create a banned thread with the screen names of people whose opinions they don't value. I like you, but if someone else black-balls you...like previously mentioned...I'll be inclined to agree with them.

• Upvote 3

Last year when Knoxxy "left" the team not a peep was made. Trey Norris "leaves" the team and the we're in an uproar.

Look yourselves in the mirror guys.

Knox (by all accounts I heard) left voluntarily and somewhat unexpectedly, and I believe he wound up giving up basketball to go and finish up school at UTD. If I'm wrong on any of that, I'd definitely love to know about it.

He left in May, after he'd finished up the school year. Not 4 weeks before his fall classes would have started.

When he left, we already had an open scholarship available for anyone else. Knox leaving opened up a 2nd one. He didn't conveniently "decide" to leave the same afternoon we landed a recruit that needed a scholarship when we had none to give.

As far as looking in the mirror... I'm not saying I was the biggest Knox partisan on the board. But I definitely wouldn't have been on board with him having his scholarship pulled. I don't remember exactly how I put it, but I believe I said that someone on any team is going to be the 12th or 13th guy on the end of the bench, and when that guy is 6'10" and on the honor roll... That's a good situation.

I respect your opinion, and agree with parts of it, however, you lost me on this statement: "to succeed in his job than what I'd ideally like to see from our school." ?

I think this was supposed to be from a quote in my post? If I'm wrong, please ignore.

Again, in brief... (Theoretically, I'm supposed to be working, and I'm wasting way too much time with this today): I'm not saying this is a Penn State or Baylor/Dave Bliss level of questionable ethics. But I do think this is ethically troublesome. Thought so when it happened at other schools, and I'm not inclined to ignore or excuse it away just because it means we could win another game or two this season, or that we might have jumped up from an 8-10% chance at an NCAA win (assuming a berth) to a 15% chance.

There are a lot of things inherent in college sports that are ethically troublesome. But within that framework of icky-ness, I think our school and our athletics department have done a commendable job overall. There may be times when they make me want to slap my head, but I've rarely felt the need to shake my head. And when I have, it's generally been a hypocrisy thing (like the timeline on Sam Dibrell's situation) rather than something where I feel like we (as an institution) have acted unfairly or negatively towards our student athletes.

Knox (by all accounts I heard) left voluntarily and somewhat unexpectedly, and I believe he wound up giving up basketball to go and finish up school at UTD. If I'm wrong on any of that, I'd definitely love to know about it.

He left in May, after he'd finished up the school year. Not 4 weeks before his fall classes would have started.

When he left, we already had an open scholarship available for anyone else. Knox leaving opened up a 2nd one. He didn't conveniently "decide" to leave the same afternoon we landed a recruit that needed a scholarship when we had none to give.

As far as looking in the mirror... I'm not saying I was the biggest Knox partisan on the board. But I definitely wouldn't have been on board with him having his scholarship pulled. I don't remember exactly how I put it, but I believe I said that someone on any team is going to be the 12th or 13th guy on the end of the bench, and when that guy is 6'10" and on the honor roll... That's a good situation.

I'm not arguing the factors surrounding Trey's exit were not more suspicious than Knoxxy's... it's just really strange that everyone accepted the idea that a kid who'd been playing basketball his entire life, showed up somewhat highly regarded (ranked like 65th in the state when he showed up?), and by all accounts seemed to get along well with his teammates, just up and decided to leave the program right before this big super exciting class comes in? He hung around for 3 years and just up and decided he'd go ahead and pay for his last year of college on his own?

I'm not saying he was or he wasn't forced off the team, but no one around here gave enough of a damn to even doubt JJ on the issue... We didn't get through 2 full pages of a thread on the forum after his departure and his name wasn't even important enough to be in the title of the thread...

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 2

Again, how do we know? I could tell when Norris was on the floor that he was a speedy, pass-first PG with skills. Was he as good as Jones? No. Was he as good as Alzee? No. Was he as good as Hardwick? Who knows?

What does height have to do with anything? By the way, I've heard that Jordan Williams has grown an inch or two taller over the year! Sweet!

How do we know how burried he was going to be? We don't.

It sounds like we agree. And please don't think that I don't support coach Benford or the team. I'm 100% behind coach Benford and the guys. I'm super excited for the upcoming season.

Maybe I should take a queue from Tasty and just shut up.

At the risk of sounding like a smart-ass, it's basketball so height matters, even at point guard. There are always exceptions but height is a big advantage in many aspects of the game. He was buried last year even with jones and williams out and before we added hardwick and taylor so all indications were that he was buried. Just going off what I heard/read. I don't know what would have happened but it is what it is.

Yeah it does look like Jordan Williams might be an inch taller which is awesome! I know you're a fan and I'm glad you and others fan can't wait for this season because I sure can't and we are ridiculously stacked.

Overall, I am completely neutral on the subject. I just don't know all the facts. A lot of speculation. I couldn't pass up this statement, however. This is completely inaccurate. Witness Alzee Williams for example.

Freshman Year - 1.9 pts, 33% from the floor

Sits out a year injured

Soph Year - 10.5 pts, 47% from the floor

There are always exceptions and Alzee was a pleasant one, which is great! But he has always had the size to be productive, plus he had players graduate so he naturally moved up the depth chart and took advantage of it. This theory is just what I have seen over the years generally and there are always exceptions but most, not nearly all, players per minute averages as a freshman are indicative of what their future will hold.

Edited by BillySee58

Yes, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't May AFTER the spring national signing day for basketball?

And doesn't that leave UNT scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for someone to fill that 'ship?

Kinda Trey in reverse?

And I agree with P1. I would bet the house that JJ had a come to Jesus meeting with Knoxxy about what his future at UNT would hold (zero minutres of playing time), much like the meeting Benford probably had with Trey.

Just for the record, I don't think Knox left us scrapping the bottom of the barrel. I think JJ already had that barrel filled.

Edit: Just saw where Spring signing ends the middle of May. Highly suspicious for a "son, we gotta talk" exit.

Damn!!! Suckered back in!!!

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yes, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't May AFTER the spring national signing day for basketball?

And doesn't that leave UNT scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for someone to fill that 'ship?

Kinda Trey in reverse?

And I agree with P1. I would bet the house that JJ had a come to Jesus meeting with Knoxxy about what his future at UNT would hold (zero minutres of playing time), much like the meeting Benford probably had with Trey.

Just for the record, I don't think Knox left us scrapping the bottom of the barrel. I think JJ already had that barrel filled.

Edit: Just saw where Spring signing ends the middle of May. Highly suspicious for a "son, we gotta talk" exit.

Damn!!! Suckered back in!!!

What has Knox got to do with anything? He was on ship for three years and the date for not renewing scholarships is in July. So worst case he was given the talk after 3 years and his ship was not renewed, a far different case than Trey. You know this topic might die if you (the plural you) would stop trying to defend NT's actions.

Speaking for myself, I can live with the situation, fully support the team and am more than willing to go on; just stop trying to justify or minimize something that many of us think was wrong.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Tasty, I respect and understand your opinion. Unfortunately, coaches are measured more by wins and losses than by scholarship retention rates. At a university, right or wrong, it seems to go against the mission of a school which is to educate young people first and provide extra-curricular opportunities second. But as I stated earlier, a coach's job security is tied to winning percentage so decisions like these are made.

• Upvote 3