Texas A&M at SMU not sold out?

Coach Bill Lewis

I was having a discussion with a coworker about the various games coming up this weekend, and wondered aloud how much A&M/SMU tickets were going for on stubhub, craigslist, etc. He told me that the game hasn't yet sold out.

I'm not big on criticizing attendance issues, because every school has unique circumstances that sometimes prevent them from having huge crowds every week. I just figured this would be one of the toughest tickets ever at Ford Stadium, given the fact that A&M (and all of their weirdo fans) are coming to town.

View the full article

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think this is more of an indictment of the A&M fans than the SMU fans...

SMU doesn't draw flies and everyone knows it...

But when Texas Tech played there a few years ago it was extremely close to sold out and most of the crowd was wearing black and red...

You would think with the huge DFW alumni base they have A&M would have this game sold out...

After all, they are SEC now...

• Upvote 2

I heard that tickets for this game were more expensive than season tickets for the whole season. Dunno if that's true or not, but one of my Aggie friends told me who thought about going.

I think SMU has made a huge mistake here with the ticket prices...

I have been to a fair amount of SMU games in the past 5 years if the opponent interested me and I have NEVER paid more than $20 for a ticket... And most of the time I have had no trouble getting someone to give them to me for free (Navy, Texas Tech, Washington St., TCU)...

But, sure enough, these tickets are going for almost $100 on the SMU website and for anywhere between $75 and $150 on other ticket sites and Craigslist...

I think SMU could have sold this game out easily just by doubling the prices of the tickets to say $45-$50...

What happens when they go into the Big East and they convince a big name to come to Ford...?? They are already going to raise ticket prices to prove they are "Big time"... It's going to be a local marketing disaster if they aren't winning to tell people that they have to pay $100-$150...

If you are consistently winning at a high level charge whatever you like... People will either pay or not...

But to charge $100 (minimum) a ticket to see SMU play anybody right now much less A&M is ludicrous...

• Upvote 2

I may get some minuses, and i love my school, but kind of like the poster who signed on to GMG for the sole purpose of selling tickets for our game against TSU for $250......

I think SMU has made a huge mistake here with the ticket prices...

I have been to a fair amount of SMU games in the past 5 years if the opponent interested me and I have NEVER paid more than $20 for a ticket... And most of the time I have had no trouble getting someone to give them to me for free (Navy, Texas Tech, Washington St., TCU)...

But, sure enough, these tickets are going for almost $100 on the SMU website and for anywhere between $75 and $150 on other ticket sites and Craigslist...

I think SMU could have sold this game out easily just by doubling the prices of the tickets to say $45-$50...

What happens when they go into the Big East and they convince a big name to come to Ford...?? They are already going to raise ticket prices to prove they are "Big time"... It's going to be a local marketing disaster if they aren't winning to tell people that they have to pay $100-$150...

If you are consistently winning at a high level charge whatever you like... People will either pay or not...

But to charge $100 (minimum) a ticket to see SMU play anybody right now much less A&M is ludicrous...

• Upvote 1

To see the Aggies and the Band... that's cheap!

Cheap...yep. But, I'll bet you meant inexpensive, right? I wouldn't walk across the street to see that bunch of frightened Aggies play SMU if it were free. They couldn't take the heat of having to play Texas and the rest of the Big XII so they ran off to the SEC. Ha! Maroon Orange envy and jealousy is so bad! Ran the Aggies off....HeHe!

Nice finish against Florida Aggies! Looks like the same bunch that Sherman had to me.....OK, just being a bit tough on you here.......still say $100 for A7M and SMU is a tad steep. Now...A7M and Oklahoma state in Stillwater...that's worth $100!!!! And THAT $100 WOULD be inexpensive and worth it! :thumbsu:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

The A&M bashing for leaving the Big XII is ridiculous. I applaud the Aggies for finally getting out from under UT's thumb, as the Big XII is set up to benefit UT the most. Regarding spending $100 to see them and their band, once you've seen their band once, you've seen it all. They've been performing the same old military style routine for 100 years.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Cheap...yep. But, I'll bet you meant inexpensive, right? I wouldn't walk across the street to see that bunch of frightened Aggies play SMU if it were free. They couldn't take the heat of having to play Texas and the rest of the Big XII so they ran off to the SEC. Ha! Maroon Orange envy and jealousy is so bad! Ran the Aggies off....HeHe!

Nice finish against Florida Aggies! Looks like the same bunch that Sherman had to me.....OK, just being a bit tough on you here.......still say $100 for A7M and SMU is a tad steep. Now...A7M and Oklahoma state in Stillwater...that's worth $100!!!! And THAT $100 WOULD be inexpensive and worth it! :thumbsu:

Yeah. How dare they go to play in the best college football conference in America. How dare they try to raise their school's profile...don't they know they have to ask the whiny orange permission to do anything? Gee, can't imagine why they'd ever make the mistake of going to a place where they can tell kids "Want to play for national titles? You could go to Austin or you could come play in a conference that's won the last six!"But, more on the original topic, how is this game not sold out? SMU is Dallas' team, remember? Surely you can find 30,000 to attend out of a city of a million plus.

http://www.stubhub.com/smu-football-tickets/smu-vs-texas-am-9-15-2012-4048586/

If they're on StubHub, they're already sold. You can still get into this one for $40...in bleachers they've set up in an end zone.

The only thing I bash the Aggies about is firing R.C. Slocum, then replacing him with a succession of Fool's Gold/"Offensive Genius" coaches - Franchione, Sherman, and the current fraud, Sumlin.

They'll take,at most, two years worth of ass poundings in the SEC before they dump Sumlin and finally hire a defensive (read, SEC) minded coach again. It took Florida, a middle of the road SEC team these days, only a few halftime adjustments to figure out Sumlin's C-USA Spread garbage.

• Upvote 1

Push comes to shove this thing will sell out and it will be an Aggies home game and recruiting game.

Lifer, regardless of where A&M is they'll always be under UT's thumb. I think that was the most comical thing about one of the reasons of their move was to get out of their shadow but it won't ever happen. UT will always be UT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Emmitt...have no problem with any way the Aggies want to justify running away to get away from UT. Color it any way you want...but, that's exactly what they did and why they did it...anyone...ANYONE who has been around college football in this area to recall the old SW Conference days and the first years to the last years of the A&M Big XII experience knows EXACTLY why the Aggies made this move...fine with them, but you don't need to help them cover up for their running away from big bad UT...Boo Hoo...Boo Hoo! Poor Aggies!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Emmitt...have no problem with any way the Aggies want to justify running away to get away from UT. Color it any way you want...but, that's exactly what they did and why they did it...anyone...ANYONE who has been around college football in this area to recall the old SW Conference days and the first years to the last years of the A&M Big XII experience knows EXACTLY why the Aggies made this move...fine with them, but you don't need to help them cover up for their running away from big bad UT...Boo Hoo...Boo Hoo! Poor Aggies!

Seems like you have something personal against the Aggies...

• Upvote 3

http://www.stubhub.c...5-2012-4048586/

If they're on StubHub, they're already sold. You can still get into this one for $40...in bleachers they've set up in an end zone.

The only thing I bash the Aggies about is firing R.C. Slocum, then replacing him with a succession of Fool's Gold/"Offensive Genius" coaches - Franchione, Sherman, and the current fraud, Sumlin.

They'll take,at most, two years worth of ass poundings in the SEC before they dump Sumlin and finally hire a defensive (read, SEC) minded coach again. It took Florida, a middle of the road SEC team these days, only a few halftime adjustments to figure out Sumlin's C-USA Spread garbage.

Pretty harsh take on Sumlin, who is a very well reguarded college coach that has paid his dues at a number of high profile universities. I could point out Kelly @ Oregon, Peterson @ Boise State and Spurrier at South Carolina as offensive coaches that have been successful. Give the man a little time.

• Upvote 1

Seems like you have something personal against the Aggies...

Nope...not at all...just not happy with the way they left the Conference and all the mess it caused. And, of course the fact that we will now not get to see the UT-A7M game each Thanksgiving. All because the Aggies are afraid of UT. Have all the respect in the world for the loyalty of Aggies and their fans...and think the fans and alums got the shaft in this deal...travel costs just went way up and they are probably going to get their rear ends handed to them the next couple of years pretty regularly. All because they couldn't stand the heat of big bad UT.

That and the fact that I'm a Big XII conference fan right after UNT of course!

• Downvote 5

Pretty harsh take on Sumlin, who is a very well reguarded college coach that has paid his dues at a number of high profile universities. I could point out Kelly @ Oregon, Peterson @ Boise State and Spurrier at South Carolina as offensive coaches that have been successful. Give the man a little time.

Because I do not highly regard either the Pac-12 and MWC, I'm highly reluctant to put Kelly and Peterson in the same category as Spurrier. Spurrier didn't win his national title until he hired a legitimate defensive coordinator.

Sumlin's defensive coordinator set-up:

Mark Snyder - One year as DC at Youngstown State (1996), One year at Ohio State (2004), and two years at South Florida (2010 and 2011),

and

Marcel Yates One year as "Defensive Pass Game Coordinator" at Boise State (2011).

Sorry, neither one of those - singley or in tandem - belongs on an SEC coaching staff at coordinator level. If Sumlin survives two years, it will be because he's fired his co-Defensive Coordinators and has hired a bona fide DC.

However, if I were Sumlin, I'd be saving as much of my Briefly-Head-Coach-At-A-Major-College money as I could. I suggest annuities.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch