DRC Monday column: Berglund's arrival trumps win when it comes to

Brett Vito

Good article.

I think Brett hits it on the head. Lost in all the hype surrounding the opener and they usual hum drum skepticism about his past and why he left etc...what got lost was that Mac has signed a very good QB prospect for the first time in a long time. Vito points out how important this is and how to be successful we need that. I would argue the best actual prospect we've seen in the modern era...at least since I have been following the program. Vizza was good but he had an offer from Nevada and was 6-1. Berglund is taller, faster.

Please don't mistake any of this as DT bashing cause it's not. Berglund has to sit out this season and run practice squad. In fact he will have to surpass Brent and Minimac before he can face off with DT. May the best man win. I think we all hope that DT will finish up his career here strongly but I thought this quote from Mac after the game was pretty telling:

“Our passing game left a lot to be desired,” UNT head coach Dan McCarney said following Saturday night’s victory. “We were not very efficient. I’m disappointed with the way we passed the ball [saturday night].”

In the politically correct and conservative world of post-game head coach comments, I don't think you can possibly get any harsher than that. To be honest, I expected nothing less and I was hoping to hear that kind of criticism coming from coach Mac. I don't know what happened to DT during this game but that was some of the worst timing and QB skills I have ever seen in a D1 game.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

In the politically correct and conservative world of post-game head coach comments, I don't think you can possibly get any harsher than that. To be honest, I expected nothing less and I was hoping to hear that kind of criticism coming from coach Mac. I don't know what happened to DT during this game but that was some of the worst timing and QB skills I have ever seen in a D1 game.

To be fair, I'd give that honor to the TSU QB's, but DT wasn't far ahead of them.
  • Upvote 3

Honestly, I was surprised we didn't see Osborn earlier in the game. I think the thought/hope was that DT would work things out as the game went along, but sadly he didn't.

That will continue to be the thought/hope as this year continues. Thompson is a captain so he has a longer leash. Back-up QB is one of the most adorned positions in football, especially when the starting QB is struggling. If this continues I would like to see Osborn get a chance because I like what I've seen from him, but don't expect that for a while. Luckily we are clearly a running team this year once again.

• Upvote 1

But they never once let Osborn pass... That didn't seem fair to me. Mac was being too nice in my opinion cause Oz could have used some passing downs!

In Mac's defense when Osborn went in it was on their side of the field late in the game. It would've been looked at as running up the score had he attempted some passes. It's unfortunate we couldn't have been up by more earlier so Osborn could have gone in and thrown some passes. Looking at our upcoming schedule he isn't going to get much mop-up duty, especially if our passing game doesn't improve.

• Upvote 1