Wins the rest of the way

shaft

A game that has looked more winnable in consecutive weeks, aside from Houston, is Arky St. They still are the defending champs and they have a very impressive offensive trio in Aplin, Jarboe, and Oku a former Tennessee Vol. However, they barely escaped by the skin of their fangs 33-28 at home against a Memphis program that has really struggled lately and lost to UT Martin of the FCS last week.

• Upvote 1

After last night, I am dropping my prediction down from 6-6 to 5-7. Our offense against TSU was frustrating, despite the yardage. DT was off....way off. The receivers failed to generate much separation, except when the DB's fell down. And, despite the OL opening up the occassional big hole, they didn't seem to generate much push against what should have been a weak TSU front four. I thought our backs were pretty good, except for the fumbles. I don't know if we have a RB that can take it to the house right now. I saw some pretty shifty moves from our backs. But, there was not a lot of burst when a hole opened up. I admit, I am pretty spoiled from seeing Lance the previous 4 seasons (preceded by Jamario, Cobbs).

Thank God the defense was solid (and sometimes dominant), or this game would have probably turned out much different. I would have been OK with our offenses performance against ULL, ULM, ASU or anyone else in the Sun Belt (except for MTSU, FAU, USA). But, this was TSU. If we had played up to par on offense, our starters would have been on the bench in the 3rd quarter.

TSU has to feel pretty good about their 2nd half performance. They outplayed us for most of the 2nd half.

We should not lose to USA, MTSU and FAU. So, that is 4 wins. I think we pick up an extra win against either Troy or WKU. Houston is probably bettter than they looked against Texas State and a win at their house will be very tough. ULM looks a LOT better than I expected obviously. I feel that ASU and ULL are probably out of reach at this point (but not impossible). Kansas State looks awefully good and will be another top 20 team this week.

After being the big fish last weekend, we are back to being the little fish this weekend against K State :)

As of today, I'd rate the toughness of our remaining opponents (considering venue) as follows:

1. @ Kansas State - all the upsets this early in the season may have prevented this from being a trap game.

2. Louisiana-Lafayette - beginning to wish we were playing FIU at home and missing La-La. We may be facing Hudspeth in CUSA next year.

3. Arkansas State - they will have time to get their rebuilt defense squared away before we play them. Giant variable is how will they handle the inevitable Malzahn-to-Fayetteville talk.

4. @ Lousiana-Monroe - had an overall losing record the year they beat Alabama. Lightning in a jar or is UA overrated ?

5. @ Western Kentucky - Much the same as us and Troy. Road game makes them a little tougher.

6. Troy - middle of the rankings, and right now the most comparable team to us, along with WKU. Beat them at Troy last year and play them at home this year

7. @ Houston - would move way up this list if they get it together. Will they get it fixed or is this season in a death spiral already?

8. @ Middle Tennessee - Shouldn't be a problem

9. @ Florida Atlantic - Won't be a problem

10. South Alabama - Might move up this list if we played them on the road.

My expectations are shifting for the seasons based more on the other teams performance. Our defense is better than I thought it would be, which is important because the rest of the Belt's offense is better than I thought it was going to be.

K-State = Loss. They look real good this year.

Troy = Toss Up. 500+ yards against La La has me worried.

FAU = Win. It's not their year.

Houston = Toss Up, but leaning towards a Win. Yeah their 0-2, but just put up nearly 700 yards on La Tech

LaLa = Loss. I think they are going to win the SBC this season.

MTSU = Win. Muts are bad.

A-St = Toss Up., but leaning towards a Win. They struggled with a bad Memphis this weekend, but they run well.

USA = Win. Not ready for prime time.

ULM = Toss Up. This is the game that moved from win to toss up with the War Hawks upset of Arkansas

WKY = Toss Up. Don't know enough about them yet.

Edited by shaft
  • Upvote 1

With the way the rest of the Belt is playing I'm not sure any preseaon predictions are valid.

Troy keeps putting up a ton of yards, ULM taking two SEC to overtime, WKY beat Kentucky.

I know we look better, but so do all the teams we had pegged for wins before the season.

So one week later I'll ask the board the same question, where do the wins come from the rest of the way?

Edited by shaft
  • Upvote 1

With the way the rest of the Belt is playing I'm not sure ant preseaon predictions are valid.

Troy keeps putting up a ton of yards, ULM taking two SEC to overtime, WKY beat Kentucky.

I know we look better, but so do all the teams we had pegged for wins before the season.

So one week later I'll ask the board the same question, where do the wins come from the rest of the way?

You have to like our chances at home no matter who we are playing the rest of the way. Apogee really does create a home-field advantage for us and there is a buzz around campus, as evidenced by the turnout against Texas Southern. We've all been impressed with how we have played on the road, and because of that I like our chances in all of our road games the rest of the way.

Houston, FAU, USA, MTSU look like wins. Everything else looks like 50-50.

This is turning into the most interesting season we've had in 10 years. Every game is winnable, but 5 conference games are going to be absolute wars to get to bowl eligible.

My feelings exactly. Although, I still worry about Houston turning things around in the next couple weeks. They have the talent on paper and are underachieving right now IMO.

The Sun Belt is a completely different animal than it was 10 years ago.