Green Brigade

UNTLifer

Ok, just to make sure that I understand YOU. Are you saying that just filling up the field with bodies is better than this?

You want the band to run onto the field out of step? That's what I'm seeing in the OU video...

Also, there was no real large recruiting plan for the GB. The numbers just went up. A ton of music ed majors are starting to stay for a 4th year and non majors are signing up at an increased rate. The percentage of music majors to non music majors is 60/40. The closest it's been in year.

More people are just signing up for the GB.

You want the band to run onto the field out of step? That's what I'm seeing in the OU video...

Well, let's see. I'll take the out of step UP TEMPO conveyance to the field to then start marching (also up tempo), over the ALSO OUT OF STEP moseying onto the field and then getting into place to eventually start marching.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

For those going to the K-State game, here is the pre-game that you will be subjected to....

You know. I don't know how the K-State drumline compares to the rest of the nation, but they do a hell of a job helping the high energy 300+ K-State marching band get onto the field.

When our fans go down to Houston, they'll be subjected to this......

Don't these people know how to take it easy?............ B)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm really confused as to where the KState drumline helped with any of that? They just jumped to a song before they marched onto the field.

I'm also confused about how UH and the GB looked different (minus the running on the field).

It seems like all your examples have eitehr high step marching or running onto the field. Is that all you need/ want?

I'm really confused as to where the KState drumline helped with any of that? They just jumped to a song before they marched onto the field.

I'm also confused about how UH and the GB looked different (minus the running on the field).

It seems like all your examples have eitehr high step marching or running onto the field. Is that all you need/ want?

You have got to be kidding me. I'm no fan of running onto the field, but their high energy entrance plus their drumline's fast and driving beat, and then their fanfare before they play their (up tempo) fight song are all very noticeable differences....even to people who have never been in a band.

You saw no real differences? really?

What I want is for our band to act like it is serious about getting the crowd pumped. If entering the field in a high-energy-up-tempo way (high stepping or even the GB quick step that they use in the core of their half-time show) with a driving drum beat and beginning with a fanfare is not all that important, then why in hell do the majority of big time programs do it?

Walking out on the field and getting in line before you actually start marching and playing, with no fanfare before hand, just doesn't do it for me.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Now we are complaining about the band being too big and less nimble. I thought they looked and sounded great. Entrance could be better but all that has to be coordinated with the teams that are actually playing the game.

A grand entrance might be more fun but it would likely have to be a lot earlier and thus a lot less fans to view it.

Really first rate! I am no fan of the corps style of marching but it is very evident that a great deal of work went into this show. The precision, musicianship, and presentation were all superb. Congratulations, GB!

Indeed! AND as I have said, many, many, many times. When they get into position and put their instruments to their lips and start moving about and playing, they are without peer. But what they are doing is presenting a moving concert, and probably practicing for some marching competition as the featured guest band. Their actual presentation will absolutely wow every band geek in the area......as well as all their friends and family members.

But (IMHO) they continue to fail miserably as a D-1 college football band.....with all the college football pageantry that goes along with it.

I would call their actual half-time show (when they start playing) excellent and without peer. I would call their pre-game show(?) and entrance to the field for their half time show.....perfunctory.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Take note of the 40 second drum break from 1:40-2:20... And we don't feature our drumline?

The xylophones (or are they marimbas?) were as much featured in the solo as the drums. So to be accurate, I would call it a percussion section break. So unless you are going to do a full feature, like the dancers (who go 1:33 seconds) the drumline got a less than 40 second solo.........which is not a feature.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Goodness. I have not though about him in years! His work was used by many high schools and colleges (never at North Texas) looking for a ready-made halftime show. His arrangements were pretty good for the most part and he could really crank them out. Could you imagine marching to "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head"?

Those were the old days but most midwest bands and some others are still doing his stuff or at least style of shows.

The xylophones (or are they marimbas?) were as much featured in the solo as the drums. So to be accurate, I would call it a percussion section break. So unless you are going to do a full feature, like the dancers (who go 1:33 seconds) the drumline got a less than 40 second solo.........which is not a feature.

For those that are actually musically "in the know"- the drumline includes both sideline percussion and the battery. So yes, the drumline was featured.

We can agree that the pregame "show" is quite lackluster. So at least we have some common ground.

We need to do something about our pregame. The halftime show is peerless, but as a guy who tries to get to each FBS team in Texas during the season - we're getting our butts handed to us by the likes of UTEP (whose music school consists of a conjunto band behind the Montana Chico's Tacos), TCU (who, like UH and A&M, actually have the pride to play the state's anthem at the beginning of the game) and Texas State (who always have a featured twirler :) ).

Edited by Legend500