What will UNT football be like in a few years?

North Texas Shep

At my time at TCU I have been to every football game I could go to. This season in the Big12 I am going to all of them. After that I come back to UNT for more studies. I wonder if UNT in a few years could be the way TCU was in the beginning of their rise to a football powerhouse. Coach McCarney is much like Gary Patterson. I believe he can bring in great recruits that get ignored by others, and build this team up to something that teams like LSU will fear. Maybe this is just crazy talk, but I feel like it could happen. What do you guys think?

I certainly think it's possible that UNT could come close to duplicating TCU's success. A problem is that we as a university have very recently made a real commitment to football . . . at just about the same time everybody else under the sun is making a similar, or greater, commitment.

If we would have built Apogee and hired a real 1-A/FBS coaching staff in 2006 or '07, when SMU was still languishing with Phil Bennett, etc., playing in BCS bowls and working our way up to a major conference would have been much more conceivable.

I just want the fanbase to return to the way things were in 2004, when bowl games & winning seasons were expected, not wished for. I'm confident that a winning season this year and a bowl game plus the move to CUSA could help us substantially against the CUSA west schools that have been killing us this year(Rice, Tulane, LT)

UNT is now on the rise. With the move to conference C-USA, Apogee, coach Mac, and several seasons of additional athletic fees, North Texas should pass other programs in not just Texas but all of the FBS. The reall question is will the giant North Texas Alumni base rise up, take pride in our university, and support this program?

• Upvote 2

I heard Coop praising Coach and stated that we were doing it the right way up in Denton. He is a big fan of how Coach is building it and believes were are going to win a lot of games in the Sun Belt this year.

I just want to tailgate like now and win a bowl game this year!

GMG

• Upvote 1

I certainly think it's possible that UNT could come close to duplicating TCU's success. A problem is that we as a university have very recently made a real commitment to football . . . at just about the same time everybody else under the sun is making a similar, or greater, commitment.

If we would have built Apogee and hired a real 1-A/FBS coaching staff in 2006 or '07, when SMU was still languishing with Phil Bennett, etc., playing in BCS bowls and working our way up to a major conference would have been much more conceivable.

Or 2002...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Hopeful, but I don't see us as another Boise State quite yet. In fact, it's going to be progressively harder to be a Top 20 team when the Big 5 control the purse strings. You'd almost have to catch lightening in a bottle to make that happen. Having said that, I think a consistent Top 50 is obtainable. In fact, my hope is that North Texas, Tulsa, Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech and East Carolina are all in that category every year and no one in the bottom third. There could be others but I see those five as the best bets for now.

• Upvote 3

UNT is now on the rise. With the move to conference C-USA, Apogee, coach Mac, and several seasons of additional athletic fees, North Texas should pass other programs in not just Texas but all of the FBS. The reall question is will the giant North Texas Alumni base rise up, take pride in our university, and support this program?

This!

The other thing that needs to happen before we can be like TCU or Boise St. is COMMUNITY SUPPORT. Both of those schools enjoy LOTS of community support. Meanwhile North Texas and/or it's events, are virtually unknown anywhere north of Oak st. or east of Carroll ave.in Denton.

• Upvote 2

This!

The other thing that needs to happen before we can be like TCU or Boise St. is COMMUNITY SUPPORT. Both of those schools enjoy LOTS of community support. Meanwhile North Texas and/or it's events, are virtually unknown anywhere north of Oak st. or east of Carroll ave.in Denton.

I agree completely! UNT needs the students, alumni, anyone that has even taken one class at UNT, every random fan out there, and for the city of Denton to embrace UNT as their team. When this happens the doors will blow wide open. I know after this semester I will be a TCU alumni, but I already told my father and my wife we will not be buying season tickets there again. We need to buy support the local team and have pride in it. UNT is right here and so many people in Denton ignore the fact that UNT even has athletics. Good point SilverEagle!

• Upvote 1

TCU went from First to Worst in 38 years. 1928 National champions and went 0-11 in 1976, my sophomore year at TCU.

in my three year at TCU the fooball team won 2 home games. I started attending North Texas sporting events with friends in fall 1975.

Although I defected TCU as a fan, I am very hppy with hat they have overcome and believe UNT will experience similar turn around.

35 years since your 9 -2 season!

• Upvote 2