Still correcting people about NTSU v. UNT

gksmith

I was in Arkansas in some small town. I had my UNT t-shirt on. Actually it was the eagle flanked by “North” and “Texas.”

Guy in a store says "North Texas State playing LSU today?"

I politely replied “University of North Texas…yes.”

We’ve only been University of North Texas for 17 years or so. You would think it would have caught on by now.

• Upvote 1

We're not UNT, remember? UNT is the school. The athletics is "North Texas."

This is where is type for the 1,001st time that when you say, "North Texas" you have 2/3rds of the way to "North Texas State." Stop giving people the head start.

Make it UNT. Put UNT on the helmets and people will stop calling us North Texas State.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I was in Arkansas in some small town. I had my UNT t-shirt on. Actually it was the eagle flanked by “North” and “Texas.”

We’ve only been University of North Texas for 17 years or so. You would think it would have caught on by now.

Time flies when you're having fun. I believe that the name change was in 1988 so it's now been 24 years.

I have a little different outlook about that...I consider calling us North Texas State a little-bit of a compliment, although maybe a left-handed one. When we were North Texas State we had more respect than we've had as the University of North Texas (or UNT). We'll earn that in time. Please note that I'm talking in terms of athletics only.

P.S. I noticed after posting that Fake Lonnie is advocating the use of UNT. Please don't do that while I'm still alive. North Texas is what we called ourselves mostly even back when we were North Texas State Teachers College so it covers all of our generations. It is still my beloved North Texas to me. I'm also not a fan of letters only because too many are alike or similar.

On the other hand, I could care less how people try to defame our name as long as they keep it clean.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

This is where is type for the 1,001st time that when you say, "North Texas" you have 2/3rds of the way to "North Texas State." Stop giving people the head start.

Make it UNT. Put UNT on the helmets and people will stop calling us North Texas State.

I'd rather have people call us North Texas State than put UNT on the helmets.

• Upvote 7

i mean... if it was just some dude in a small store in Ark. that should be no big deal... at least he knew who we were... i only get mad if a broadcaster uses the wrong name... because that's him doing a poor job as a broadcaster

Its not like one of our opponents put North Texas State on their season schedule...or did they?

-----Well at least you didn't hear us called North Texas State Teacher's College. I heard that from a person I know and it hasn't even been than name in her lifetime and she never lived in Texas until the 1970's ... i almost passed out on that one.

Compliment him on his cousin. When he says "that's his wife", then maybe he will understand our frustration.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

signed on a new client on Friday who is a bankruptcy attorney in Dallas.....she went to SMU and referred to her husband being a forensic professor at SMU as well. I mentioned that UNT had a good forensics program and she said "but it doesn't and can't compare with SMU's program. North Texas State just doesn't have the facilities that SMU has" I stopped her dead in her tracks and corrected her on UNT vs. NTSU and how if we are to have a business partnership it will never happen again lol. She thought it was funny tho. I take the NTSU comments a bit too personally.

So easy, yet so hard. I don't really care if its UNT or NTSU. But then again it doesn't really bother me when people say North Texas State. If nothing else it gives you more to talk to them about us.

• Upvote 1

You are mad that some redneck, in small town Arkansas, who does not know the correct name for a university that has had multiple names.

This, by definition, is a first world problem.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle
  • Upvote 1

Here is the (KRAM1-like) sanitized version of the name change that appeared in the 1962 Yucca.....

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61027/m1/6/?q=name%20change

The rest of the story is less.....polite. In the Yucca version it states....."The Texas House of Representatives discussed house bill 625 at length and suggested some minor changes".

In reality it was not that cordial. Some Representatives who were obviously UT grads got up and wondered out loud (and on record) why little ol' North Texas deserved to call itself anything that remotely sounded like the great and glorious UT. They then proceeded to (in today's slang) talk trash about us and threatened to filibuster the bill as it was originally written. NTSU was the eventual compromise name, and the rest, as they say....is history. You can find the real story in the book "The Story of North Texas".

GreyEagle is right "North Texas" is always the correct term.

• Upvote 1

Yikes! I would like to know the search terms that produced that image. Or was that from your private collection? On second thought, maybe it's best not to know! :D

Yikes! I would like to know the search terms that produced that image. Or was that from your private collection? On second thought, maybe it's best not to know! :D

"sexy chicken"......apparently I wasn't the first person to type that in. There is some strange "playing with food" going on in the images section