Mac thought "we'd hang in there better" against LSU

Harry

BATON ROUGE, La. — Dan McCarney spoke of how he wanted North Texas to shock the world in its opener against LSU, stay competitive into second half and maybe even get out of town with a win.

That dream vanished on a night that left UNT’s head coach skimming over the bright spots while focusing on the bottom line: No. 3 LSU jumped on UNT from the opening kick Saturday and never let up in a 41-14 win at Tiger Stadium in front of a crowd of 92,059.

“I thought that we would hang in there better and thought that we would match up a little better,” McCarney said. “We are not accepting losing.

“It’s not a good job. [Losing] 41-14 is inexcusable.”

That final was as close as UNT has come in the five games it has played against the Tigers.

The tightest game before Saturday was played in 2008, and UNT didn’t reach the end zone in a 41-3 loss.

That’s the norm for games between UNT and LSU. The Mean Green had gone three full games against the Tigers without reaching the end zone.

UNT ended that streak, thanks to Brelan Chancellor. The junior wide receiver scored on touchdown passes that covered 80 and 15 yards.

Unfortunately, for the Mean Green, those highlights came after UNT fell behind 24-0.

McCarney has spoken of changing the expectations of a program that has not played in a bowl game since 2004.

He’s not one to look at the bright side after a lopsided loss.

UNT’s players got the message.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20120902-football-inexcusable.ece

BATON ROUGE, La. — Dan McCarney spoke of how he wanted North Texas to shock the world in its opener against LSU, stay competitive into second half and maybe even get out of town with a win.

That dream vanished on a night that left UNT's head coach skimming over the bright spots while focusing on the bottom line: No. 3 LSU jumped on UNT from the opening kick Saturday and never let up in a 41-14 win at Tiger Stadium in front of a crowd of 92,059.

"I thought that we would hang in there better and thought that we would match up a little better," McCarney said. "We are not accepting losing.

"It's not a good job. [Losing] 41-14 is inexcusable."

That final was as close as UNT has come in the five games it has played against the Tigers.

The tightest game before Saturday was played in 2008, and UNT didn't reach the end zone in a 41-3 loss.

That's the norm for games between UNT and LSU. The Mean Green had gone three full games against the Tigers without reaching the end zone.

UNT ended that streak, thanks to Brelan Chancellor. The junior wide receiver scored on touchdown passes that covered 80 and 15 yards.

Unfortunately, for the Mean Green, those highlights came after UNT fell behind 24-0.

McCarney has spoken of changing the expectations of a program that has not played in a bowl game since 2004.

He's not one to look at the bright side after a lopsided loss.

UNT's players got the message.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc....inexcusable.ece

AT LAST! The kind of coach speak that I have been waiting to hear.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I disagree with Mac' public stand a little, there was a lot to be excited about demonstrated by the Green in this game. It is very refreshing to see McCarney's attitude versus the last two coaches on board. DD after the first couple of years, never played this type of game to win. He was happy running out the clock and not wasting any extra effort on the field or in motivation on games he knew NT had no chance and frankly the team didn't have to be a top ten team for him to have that attitude. Dodge was so out matched, that it really made no different how much emphasis he put on the games.

• Upvote 1

I disagree with Mac' public stand a little, there was a lot to be excited about demonstrated by the Green in this game. It is very refreshing to see McCarney's attitude versus the last two coaches on board. DD after the first couple of years, never played this type of game to win. He was happy running out the clock and not wasting any extra effort on the field or in motivation on games he knew NT had no chance and frankly the team didn't have to be a top ten team for him to have that attitude. Dodge was so out matched, that it really made no different how much emphasis he put on the games.

It's pretty refreshing to me right now to have a coach that is not looking for moral victories.

• Upvote 1

That dream vanished on a night that left UNT's head coach skimming over the bright spots while focusing on the bottom line: No. 3 LSU jumped on UNT from the opening kick Saturday and never let up in a 41-14 win at Tiger Stadium in front of a crowd of 92,059.

"I thought that we would hang in there better and thought that we would match up a little better," McCarney said. "We are not accepting losing.

"It's not a good job. [Losing] 41-14 is inexcusable."

The tightest game before Saturday was played in 2008, and UNT didn't reach the end zone in a 41-3 loss.

That's the norm for games between UNT and LSU. The Mean Green had gone three full games against the Tigers without reaching the end zone.

He's not one to look at the bright side after a lopsided loss.

UNT's players got the message.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc....inexcusable.ece

Agree with Mac! That was the worst LSU team I've seen in a while. Certainly the worst QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Time will tell if this "this is unacceptable" attitude carries water. I agree with his message, but I want to see that turn in to victories at some point. I don't want to keep hearing that "we won't accept that." I want us to actually NOT ACCEPT IT. That being said, it was LSU, we did improve last year over the previous 5, and I give him enough rope to hang himself with, for sure. Just keep getting better!!

• Upvote 1