UNT Defensive Stats week 1: Laramie Lee w/11!~

Harry

For a first year starter like Lee to out tackle Zachary Orr against an opponent like LSU was impressive to me. I look for big performances and let downs in these body bag games...they are a good indicator of character. I thought Lee stepped it up last night. Also saw some good plays from Chad Polk and HJ.

For a first year starter like Lee to out tackle Zachary Orr against an opponent like LSU was impressive to me. I look for big performances and let downs in these body bag games...they are a good indicator of character. I thought Lee stepped it up last night. Also saw some good plays from Chad Polk and HJ.

Chad Polk caught my eye too.

I think it is a good sign they didn't or couldn't pick on Whitfield.

• Upvote 1

This is what I expected to read & see people talking about the development of a strong defense like we saw in the early 2000's. Dan lives & believes in a strong defense. Buy the way, I thought our defensive line, all be it undersized & slower compared to theirs, played as good as can be expected ( Thanks Nelly). Our defensive backs made less errors as the game went on- great ( fast learners & good speed). Thet really learned fast against a quality team. The coverage was better than we have seen in several years w/o any experience in the defensive bf. Buy the way, after the our defense figures out our defensive coordinator's game plan the score was 17 to our 14 and was as a good even game.

What makes me wonder is the offense. Talking to Chico in March I asked him if he copied the Tides game with lsu. He said he did. We talked about the passes to the tight ends & delayed passes out of the backfield to work against their speed rushing. Two complete passes to the tight ends (yes Powers dropped a wide open pass). While I understand the first half, 2 yds/run, I was wondering if anyone saw much change in our rushing/passing game the second half. We were pretty much waited until third down to throw when you have a long yardage need. I wondered if we would of used more delayed passes to the backs/TE's maybe we might of made it a better score & kept their offense off the field.

The best thing I saw was that we were better conditioned than lsu & it really showed.

• Upvote 2

the Tides game with lsu. He said he did. We talked about the passes to the tight ends & delayed passes out of the backfield to work against their speed rushing. Two complete passes to the tight ends (yes Powers dropped a wide open pass). While I understand the first half, 2 yds/run, I was wondering if anyone saw much change in our rushing/passing game the second half. We were pretty much waited until third down to throw when you have a long yardage need. I wondered if we would of used more delayed passes to the backs/TE's maybe we might of made it a better score & kept their offense off the field.

Run the clock down and get out quicker.

Having a safety with that many tackles is not usually a good thing...

I understand what you are saying - I had posted essentially the same thing on another thread.

HOWEVER, having watched missed tackles after missed tackles over the past six + years I have to say it was quite a joy to watch tackles actually being completed by Lairamie.

• Upvote 1