FAU squeaks by Wagner 7-3

Harry

Frank Broyles supposedly said, "No one remembers who you played in late December, only if you won or lost." When we are winning 8-10 games per year regularly, I think then we may worry about who we beat. Until then, we need to win. If LSU beats us as everyone predicts and goes undefeated, no one will say LSU was 11-0 and beat UNT. We are the only ones who give credit for close losses to the LSU's and UT's of the world. To people who don't follow us, it was just another loss.

• Upvote 2

Frank Broyles supposedly said, "No one remembers who you played in late December, only if you won or lost." When we are winning 8-10 games per year regularly, I think then we may worry about who we beat. Until then, we need to win. If LSU beats us as everyone predicts and goes undefeated, no one will say LSU was 11-0 and beat UNT. We are the only ones who give credit for close losses to the LSU's and UT's of the world. To people who don't follow us, it was just another loss.

Not concerned about what people who don't follow us think about us. I am concerned about people who casually follow us (I used to be one).

A close loss to a ranked team DOES mean something to them.

As for the hardcore followers, I think UT circa 1988 is discussed on here about 3 times a season, so we KNOW it matters to them.

TSU matters to no one, unless we lose.

I'm pretty sure TCU lost to SFA in Patterson's 2nd year. They haven't done too bad since

I don't mind playing a FCS team IF you are a decent BCS team & IF it's against a shitty FCS team.

McNeese & EWU are 2 very solid teams & mtsu/Idaho were very foolish for scheduling them

It wouldn't bother me at all if we opened every season @ home vs a team like Texas Southern.

Establish a winning atmosphere , bring the students back for more, build self confidence.

If we are scared we might lose to these types of schools then we shouldn't be DI

• Upvote 4

I'm pretty sure TCU lost to SFA in Patterson's 2nd year. They haven't done too bad since

I don't mind playing a FCS team IF you are a decent BCS team & IF it's against a shitty FCS team.

McNeese & EWU are 2 very solid teams & mtsu/Idaho were very foolish for scheduling them

It wouldn't bother me at all if we opened every season @ home vs a team like Texas Southern.

Establish a winning atmosphere , bring the students back for more, build self confidence.

If we are scared we might lose to these types of schools then we shouldn't be DI

Spot on.

Harry- can you please put a countdown of when we leave SunBelt. This is getting ridiculous- win the games people!

• Upvote 1

You would rather play a team like UT than Texas Southern... If we play UT with 10k more people at one game and go 5-7 with no bowl game. Rather than playing Texas Southern and having a better chance to go 6-6 and go to a bowl game... Nope. 6-6 in the Sun Belt won't get you to a bowl. Too many teams from other conferences with bowl tie-ins. A LOT of things would have to break our way to go bowling. You would still pick UT, because of attendance?? Sorry but bowl games bring more money than $20k in ticket sales... Nope. Most schools LOSE money on bowl games. UNT included. But if UNT does beat UT, that would be great but the chances are slim. Having a better chance of winning is always better. Again, not true. A win against an FCS school is a boost to attendance and interest IF you didn't just get your brains beat in the week prior. What we are doing is compounding the "Same ol' UNT" mentality after a blowout loss to start the season with "They're playing who??" when we ask people to come to our home opener. Or, if you have a great promotions plan in place for the FCS game you might be able to drum up support. Let's see our promotions department has come up with.....and...and....and of course..... Sorry folks, giving students free food two weeks before you play the game isn't gonna get them in the gates. It's gonna fill their stomachs two weeks before your game.

Let the -1's commence. You don't have to agree with me, I'll let the attendace on Sep 8 prove my point.

• Upvote 1

I disagree. I think a win, especially a blowout win, would matter to the student body and all of the people in Denton who say UNT never wins. A win is a win.

UNT won 5 games last year. People who are even casually paying attention know we win games. They could give a crap about a school that makes Sun Belt teams look like SEC teams, recognition wise.

This will do nothing but limit student attendance. No matter the score.

• Upvote 1

UNT won 5 games last year. People who are even casually paying attention know we win games. They could give a crap about a school that makes Sun Belt teams look like SEC teams, recognition wise.

So you're OK with an 0-2 start versus a 1-1 start even if the first win is against an FCS school?

• Upvote 1

I'm simply not concerned about Texas southern, and I'm surprised anyone else is. NT03 summed up how I feel about it.

Tsu isn't Mcneese and we aren't Mtsu.

Tsu isn't Wagner and were not fau.

Where we were picked to finish in relation to fau and Mtsu has no affect on how I feel about tsu or our team.

Tcu played tx st. A couple years ago, and they turned out just fine. It just doesn't matter who it is. You just have to win.

I really feel like the dodge years have beaten us down so much that we forget the improvement last year. I'm guilty of it, myself.

I'm fine with a big win over TSU. I'm not fine with a loss or a close win.

Risk/reward is not worth it at this point in this program's life.

What point in the programs life are we in? We've been playing football for 100 years. If we can't reasonably expect to kick the s out of tsu, who can we expect to beat?

We beat that Mtsu team last year and it wasn't close. Let us hope that 52 point gap didnt close that quickly in 1 year.

What limits the student attendance is getting our butts handed to us in the first game every season by a top 10 team. Going more than a decade without a season opener at home is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

We win games? We won 5 total games last year; I guess you interpret that differently than me and my friends. My friends tire of the ass whipping that is 40 point loss after 40 point loss. 4 wins in 2 years. I've never heard people complain about the Belt. I've heard people say they would like to move up, sure...but the whip isn't our conference. It's the losses.

I have friends that have never ever been to a game. They have expressed interest to me in going to a tailgate and attending the game. You know what they say? "But what fun are the losses?" Some might derail this into a thread about what kind of football fan he might really be, but I see a guy that doesn't give 2 cents about who we play, just wants to know the odds are pretty good about watching a win.

You just have different priorities than my friends and I.

Edited by greenminer