Winning Football Makes a Difference

KRAM1

Interesting little stat in today's Wall Street Journal on Page. D9:

11%

"The increase in prospective students forwarding SAT scores for admissions consideration to a given school in the year after it wins a major-college football championship".

SOURCE: Jaren C. Pope, Brigham Young University and Devin G. Pope, University of Chicago.

OK, think admissions folks at major universities have an interest in how well their football teams do? For those in lala land who hold the opinion that athletics does not help a university overall i would ask them to study the above for just one...of many...reasons why they should support their school's athletic programs.

Thought it was an interesting stat...would a CUSA title count? I would argue that YES it would!

• Upvote 2

How about four straight SunBelt conf. championships, a record # of straight conf. wins, and four straight trips to the NO bowl? Did that produce the same increase in enrollment at North Texas? I suppose someone could go back and look at the raw enrollment numbers for the year(s) following that run and see if it approaches 11%.

My kid gets accepted to Alabama, perennial power, and Cal Tech, no football, and Yale, pretend football, Alabama comes in a distant third.

But...looks like he applied at Alabama....stat talks about applications...your kid seems to fit right into the stat.

Edited by KRAM1

it said "major- football championship". I don't believe the sunbelt or NO Bowl fit in that category.

I tend to agree, but what do they mean by "Major football championship"....a national championship? If so, then only one school gets the 11% bump. Or is it major conference championship? If so, which conferences would they be talking about?

I really don't think that North Texas needs to concern itself about numbers of applications.

Because our numbers continue to grow every year.

DeepGreen and I are pretty much in agreement on this subject. What they need to concern themselves about is the type of applications. It is my humble opinion that North Texas has not ever tried (in an organized manner) to attract the "joiners" of the world....or more accurately the "doers" of the world. And that would be the High School students that ran for the student council, joined the school's spirit organization (and was an officer in the organization) or joined service organizations in their High School etc etc. Because it's my humble opinion that these are the types that will join the Talons and make it an actual spirit group....year in and year out. It's these students that will join campus organizations, and stay with them. And when they graduate, they give back to their school at a higher level than the transient students who comes to class, gets his/her degree and then never shows up to campus again.

THAT is the student-applicant that we need to find a way to attract.

For instance. KRAM1, how many organizations were you involved in during your HS days?

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

Does it mention what the price per point equals out to? What I mean by that is: What is the winning teams football budget the year they won? - probably should include scholarships for players too.

Id be curious too if those 11% are accepted what their lifetime contributions (money) to the school might be. After these factors are considered I'd like to see how it compared to simply increasing traditional marketing/academic recruiting efforts.

I implore Coach Mac and team to win a national championship so we may study these issues first hand at North Texas.

Does it mention what the price per point equals out to? What I mean by that is: What is the winning teams football budget the year they won? - probably should include scholarships for players too.

Id be curious too if those 11% are accepted what their lifetime contributions (money) to the school might be. After these factors are considered I'd like to see how it compared to simply increasing traditional marketing/academic recruiting efforts.

I implore Coach Mac and team to win a national championship so we may study these issues first hand at North Texas.

Now there is an interesting approach.... B)

For instance. KRAM1, how many organizations were you involved in during your HS days?

Lots...from athletics, to Key Club to social clubs, to academic clubs. Also lots of outside volunteer work...church, etc.

Lots...from athletics, to Key Club to social clubs, to academic clubs. Also lots of outside volunteer work...church, etc.

Thank you for making my point....however unscientific it might have been. Here is KRAM!, approaching retirement age, and still actively giving back to the school.

Another example is GrayEagle. Jack's college career was interrupted by the Korean war. But when he came back he joined the main campus spirit organization (that would now be the Talons) and made it a much more functional organization. I don't know what other organizations he joined, but since graduation he has always been an active supporter of the athletic program.

Edited by SilverEagle

Note that Rick raised $2.5 million in 30 days to build a dedicated basketball facility. I don't think we raised $5 million in 7 years for new football stadium. Winning may not cure all, but it sure helps.

Let's spread some of that credit around. The committee Rick put together raised that money, not RV. But, RV should absolutely be credited with putting the right people in place who got the job done with amazing speed.

Certainly an eye opener and hopefully can translate to success on future projects.

• Upvote 1

Let's spread some of that credit around. The committee Rick put together raised that money, not RV. But, RV should absolutely be credited with putting the right people in place who got the job done with amazing speed.

Certainly an eye opener and hopefully can translate to success on future projects.

This is absolutely great news. Does anyone remember how much an indoor football practice facilty would cost? Seems like fundraising is on a role, lets keep it going!

Edited by GreenMachine

OU was obviously a powerhouse before but I thought I remember seeing OU's donations more than triple after they won the national championship in 2000 as well have skyrocketing applications come in.

Texas was the same thing after 2006 that when they beat USC applications more than doubled and tripled. And if I am not mistaken I read that in the Dallas Observer or it might have been in the NT Daily during that time.

So yes make no mistake that athletics and more so successful athletics makes a huge difference to a university in terms of money, perception, pride etc.

Didn't mean to give R.V. all the credit for raising money for basketball practice facility.You are right;the team he put together did a great job. It appears we are beginning to develope a base of major donors that we have not had before. On another note, I don't think an indoor practice facility for soccer and football is as high on the list as a baseball program.