Ron Patterson

pastorgrant

And you have no idea what happened, how it was handled, or whether or not it was Benford that found a spot for Trey at USD.

I guess we could go back to 5-25 records, right?

As for the bold: Much like Odoh did to UNT this last class. Things happen.

Yes, I think I have a very good idea what happened. Just what do you think happened, the fairy tale spun above were Norris suddenly decided he wanted to go elsewhere? Things happen, what a retort. I assume Benford helped Norris find a new home, if that some how matters. As far as Odoh, NT with the Norris situation lost the high ground on that. Going to be difficult for NT MBB at least to complain about players changing commitments.

Mentioning 5-25 records is strange, I assume you thought Trilli not renewing basically the whole teams ships was AOK also. Didn't exactly work out for him or the team.

• Upvote 1

And you have no idea what happened, how it was handled, or whether or not it was Benford that found a spot for Trey at USD.

I guess we could go back to 5-25 records, right?

As for the bold: Much like Odoh did to UNT this last class. Things happen.

Not qualify academically? I don't think that is reneging.

Also, Odoh's situation unfolded just after Benford joined the Mean Green, not in the last few weeks.

All of this talk about how Trey was underperforming is almost laughable. Norris was a Freshman last year!

I think we can all agree that Chris Jones is a special player. I mean, if Tony Mitchell were not a lock for the NBA on this team, we would all be talking about Chris and maybe his ability to get to the NBA one day... Oh yeah, we already did that here: Jones is a special talent. Norris is good. He is probably going to improve with age and be a nice player later in his career.

I'm willing to bet he saw the addition of PJ as a threat and probably was using it as motivation to make sure he was Chris' backup this upcoming season over Hardwick. Who knows how that would have turned out? None of us (save maybe Cooley) have seen PJ play before. How do we know he's better than T-No? We won't find out.

• Upvote 2

I don't disagree with anyone who feels that this should not have happened. I also agree that the coaching staff should have done everything possible to make room for kids; taking their talents to south beach or to the Denia neighborhood of Denton County. Benford nor RV should be blamed for this as it is a reality of competing in a very competitive big business.

Trey was recruited to South Dakota out of S. Grand Prairie High. In hindsight, he may have signed there originally for greater playing time. Sometimes circumstances helps make the right decision for us.

http://rivals.yahoo....y-Norris-107260

I actually attribute some of the blame on the kid themselves. Equally, their parents, high school and AAU coaches and so called friends for the environment today where kids oversign annually. Not much thought, at times, goes in to what is the best fit but rather feeding the ego and signing with the highest profile school available. Last time I checked, there were over 700 + basketball transfers in D1 hoops. (Avg of almost 2 per team) Parents and kids need to understand that coaches are in the sales business during the recruiting process. They tell recruits and family what they want to hear. AAU & HS coaches can boast that they got their kid a top level scholarship, in hopes of landing other star athletes to their school/program. Trey was recruited to UNT as a reserve on a moderately successful Sunbelt team. The stakes are higher. A question I would have asked during the recruiting process is whether or not you (coach) will be around for 4 years? If you leave, can I get some assurances that my scholarship will be protected; provided that I uphold my end of the bargain. (watch heads drop)

Tony Benford was a highly successful assistant coach/recruiter at a top 10 program. Did he make Marquette successful or was his success a result of Marquette basketball? We're taking a chance on a brand new coach with a 5 year guaranteed contract at a record level. The pressure is turned up for the new coach and the guy who hired him (RV) to elevate an already rising program. Keep in mind that we just fired the women's coach and had her replacement walk on us to a perceived better program after one year. The AD has to provide his new hire with the best opportunity to succeed. TJ Taylor, the 7th ranked senior in Texas in the class of 2010, was attracted to Marquette because of Tony Benford. If the coach felt that Taylor could help a top 10 program, why wouldn't he make room at UNT?

I was able to attend a few of Trey's HS games once he commited to UNT. I've spoke with his mom in the stands at SGP and UNT games. Spoke briefly with Trey once at the IAD in Carrollton. I found him to be a very likeable and polite kid. (Away from twitter) I certainly understand the sentiment expressed here and concur with that the timing may not have been the best. I do think that things have worked out. The TJ signing was the exception and not the rule. We live vicariously through our sports teams and athletes as our sense of recreation, entertainment and enjoyment. Fielding a successful CUSA program is big business for both Benford and RV. I would give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 6

Not qualify academically? I don't think that is reneging.

Also, Odoh's situation unfolded just after Benford joined the Mean Green, not in the last few weeks.

All of this talk about how Trey was underperforming is almost laughable. Norris was a Freshman last year!

I think we can all agree that Chris Jones is a special player. I mean, if Tony Mitchell were not a lock for the NBA on this team, we would all be talking about Chris and maybe his ability to get to the NBA one day... Oh yeah, we already did that here: Jones is a special talent. Norris is good. He is probably going to improve with age and be a nice player later in his career.

I'm willing to bet he saw the addition of PJ as a threat and probably was using it as motivation to make sure he was Chris' backup this upcoming season over Hardwick. Who knows how that would have turned out? None of us (save maybe Cooley) have seen PJ play before. How do we know he's better than T-No? We won't find out.

Odoh made it very clear he was not going to honor his commitment prior to not making grades. He wouldn't even return Benford's telephone calls after Benford was named head coach. HE MADE IT PERFECTLY CLEAR HE WAS NOT COMING TO UNT. That is why RV initially said he would not be released from scholarship. BUT, he eventually was, because UNT knew it was in a no win situation.

This is a 2 way street.

Trey would not have played here. That is pretty clear (no need to bash a player leaving the program). He is in a better spot if he wants to see court time while he is a college athlete. He does not have the talent to play in a pro league, but, hey, few do, so why wouldn't he want to be somewhere where he can actually see court time while getting a college education.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I think I have a very good idea what happened. Just what do you think happened, the fairy tale spun above were Norris suddenly decided he wanted to go elsewhere? Things happen, what a retort. I assume Benford helped Norris find a new home, if that some how matters. As far as Odoh, NT with the Norris situation lost the high ground on that. Going to be difficult for NT MBB at least to complain about players changing commitments.

Mentioning 5-25 records is strange, I assume you thought Trilli not renewing basically the whole teams ships was AOK also. Didn't exactly work out for him or the team.

This isn't a high ground contest. This is just life in big time college basketball. Wouldn't it be great if everry recruit went on to be all-conference? Well, that's not the way it works, in life or college basketball.

Since you apparently know exactly what happened, please share, either publicly or through PM.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1