odds of top 25 ranking

I'm not concerned about being ranked. First and foremost we need to win the Sun Belt, get to the NCAA tourney, and win the first game. If we get ranked along the way, awesome, but if its not 1st at the end of the season I don't care.

Edited by NTGabe15
  • Upvote 2

I think a problem we may face early is teams will try to send Coleman to the line. He needs to improve his free throw shooting or he will hurt us.

Ditto for Patton. Their crunch time PT could very much hinge on their showing some serious improvement at the line. If not, I expect we'll be seeing a lot of Holmen and Franklin in close games down the stretch. Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, especially with the way Holmen came on around tourney time.

• Upvote 1

Niko can't be Coleman, ideally he won't be asked to be. Tony is your backup Coleman if necessary. The best thing about our depth this year should be our ability morph into 3 different teams depending upon who's playing together, unlike last year when our bench really only offered a less effective version of what was already on the court.

Exactly.

This team has more than enough size to be a top 25 team this year...I think many of you are confusing "top 25" with "top 5-10" in thinking that this UNT squad is too small to compete with the big boys. Take a look at the bottom of last year's end of season top 25:

25. Ohio - team that took UNC to over-time in the NCAA tourney...they started 3 guards and 2 forwards at 6'7" 190 and 6'8" 215, with a bench of 6'8" 265 and 6'6" 210.

24. Xavier - they have a slow-footed, but talented 7'0"er with a 6'10" 220 reserve forward around some 6'6" - 6'8" other 3s and 4s.

23. New Mexico - start 6'9" 245 and 6'8" 235 with one 6'9" 255 space eater on the bench

22. Michigan - 6'8" 250 starts around 4 guards...a very Niko-like 6'9" 235 off the bench. That's in the Big Ten

21. Creighton - 6'9" 270 and 6'7" 225 start with 6'7" 225 off the bench.

20. NC State - 6'8" 210, 6'8" 250 start with 6'9" 230 off the bench.

14. Murray State - 6'7" 230 and 6'7" 220 start...6'9" 205 off the bench

and my favorite...and probably most appropriate comparison:

10. Marquette - 6'7" 220 and 6'6" 235 start...one out of shape but very good 6'8" 290 off the bench for about 15 minutes a game.

We're likely starting 6'7" 210, 6'9" 235 and 6'10 245...with a bench of 6'8" 225, 6'9" 215 and 6'5" 230. This team has more than enough size to be amongst the top teams in the nation.

• Upvote 3

There are probably only about ten teams in the entire country that have a really good center that is over 6'10". There are only a few NBA teams with a legitimate center. I think Coleman starts there and Mitchell plays the 5 when he is out. Mitchell is probably as good as any center we would face all season. I don't see it being much of a problem if Coleman can be a 7 and 7 guy in 20-25 minutes a night.

• Upvote 2