odds of top 25 ranking

I know the orignal post was just posing the question on potential for a top-25 ranking, but a number of the responses seem very similar to last year's prediction threads. I think most of us have pretty lofty expectations for this year's team, but predicting NCAA tournament wins and Sweet 16 appearances is putting the cart way before the horse. Remember last year when a number of folks were predicting 25+ wins and thinking that we'd run rough shot through the Sun Belt?

The team is VERY talented and should be odds on favorite to win the Sun Belt. Lets focus on having a good showing in the Pre-Season NIT, then winning the Sun Belt and getting back to the NCAA tournament.

Gagree.

My response was assuming a no more than 2 loss record through about 15 or so games...a similar opening to what Murray rattled off last year...I think Mitchell has elevated our national profile to where if we do perform as expected I think we'll be seeing top 25 votes sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 1

Gagree.

My response was assuming a no more than 2 loss record through about 15 or so games...a similar opening to what Murray rattled off last year...I think Mitchell has elevated our national profile to where if we do perform as expected I think we'll be seeing top 25 votes sooner rather than later.

Agree on the Mitchell point. He's so well thought of in basketball circles that IF we manage to get off to an incredibly hot start (like the scenario you present above) it would certainly help our chances in getting voters on board with NT.

Fun to think about anyway.

NT basketball team has the best shot it has ever to be a ranked team. They will have to have very good showing in the PNIT and only lose a couple of games the rest of the way. Not a easy task and probably a long shot, but the team has much more visibility than it has ever enjoyed, so a good record will be noticed.

This season is not business as normal, the pieces are in place for the best team ever at NT. On one side, NT is a team with little successful history and based on the last years performance not a particularly good team returning with a new coach. The other side is that NT has one of the best players in the nation and a lineup that has lots of potential with in effect 6 or 7 starters returning with some key additions.

I really don't think JJ would have ever got NT ranked, because his style is to build toward the end of the year. Benford is an unknown as hc, but I think he may be more likely to get NT ranked.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I think we have two routes to get ranked. Easiest is to beat KSU in NIT and make it to NYC (and don't get blown out there). KSU will probably be a fringe top 25 team this year. An early win there will earn a lot of credit.

The other would be to lose at KSU and then rip off 25 straight wins. The Sun Belt has been down so much lately so there aren't a lot of chances for a signature win. It'll take a lot of wins to get noticed.

Murray St last year had to beat Memphis (who was ranked) to get in the polls. Murray had even won a NCAA tournament game recently (NCAA two years ago and NIT the year before).

It takes a lot of work to be ranked in basketball. Tony is bringing a lot of press but North Texas is still an unknown team.

Also talk of Sweet 16 needs to be dialed back. It's hard to make it to the Sweet 16. You are basically playing a Top 25 team in the second round. I'd love to play in the Sweet 16 but we'd likely be an underdog in both games on the opening weekend.

I did a couple of quick checks on ESPN to see where people had us.

Dickey V doesn't have North Texas in Top 40. http://espn.go.com/e...on-top-40-2012-

ESPN Early Rankings (not mentioned). http://espn.go.com/m...anges-elsewhere

Edited by KoldBeer
  • Upvote 1

For UNT to make the top 25:

1. Win the games they are supposed to - almost all of the Sunbelt games

2. At least quality showings against top OOC opponents

3. No more then 10-12 losses for the season

4. (this one will be the hardest) More then 25 wins for the season

Doing all of this will also help in the "at large" NCAA bid as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't see much of a chance. You'd probably have to have at least one or two signature wins and K-State looks too strong early for us.

I also don't see us in the Sweet 16 but a first round win looks promising.

Need at least a 12 seed for any shot at a 1st round win.

A 1st round win is Extremely tough to pull off and would be a MAJOR accomplishment for this program

• Upvote 3

Need at least a 12 seed for any shot at a 1st round win.

A 1st round win is Extremely tough to pull off and would be a MAJOR accomplishment for this program

Ohio was a 13 seed and made the Sweet 16 last year (AND forced UNC to overtime in the Sweet 16).

I do agree with a win in the Round of 64 being a big deal. I think it'd be the biggest win for NT in any sport in....35-40 years?

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

I think the Athletic Department is anticipating some of its largest student crowds in recent history (since the late 80s?).

Hopefully the hype is not just with the student body and we see an influx of new season ticket holders for at least the men's team.

• Upvote 1

This team, in my opinion, lacks a big time impact center (and backup) to compete with the big boys. (Top 25) Additionally, there are way too many new faces to acclimate to a new coach and system; prior to preseason NIT action. Hopefully the guys will gel by conference time but victories against Belt competition will not garner national attention. As such, we will be hard pressed, like all other mid to low majors, to obtain a seed lower than 14-15, (even with 20+ wins)

A more realistic and obtainable goal is to just win the Sun Belt Conference. (Something we have never done) I understand the euphoria over Tony Mitchell and his impact on UNT basketball. It shouldn't, however, be measured on how far he helps up advance in a given season. His impact, along with CUSA admission, will be felt beyond the 2012-2013 season. Let's win the Sun Belt first and see where we stand in relations to Top 25 votes/rankings or greatest team ever discussions

• Upvote 1

There is one player that makes this predicition of how far we can go this coming season difficult. Much of our success will depend on the development of Keith Coleman.

Coleman has all of the physical attributes...he has size, strength, and runs the court well. But, he is rather raw. He's only been playing since he was a freshman in high school. Hopefully, he excels in the cram course.

Almost as critical is who backs him up when he gets in foul trouble? Niko would seem to be that person. He has the height but he appears to be more of a finesse player rather than a scrapper. He's a good player but can he excel with his back to the basket? If not Niko can Holmen be taught that role? There is plenty of potential with this squad but can they develop fast enough?

• Upvote 2

There is one player that makes this predicition of how far we can go this coming season difficult. Much of our success will depend on the development of Keith Coleman.

Coleman has all of the physical attributes...he has size, strength, and runs the court well. But, he is rather raw. He's only been playing since he was a freshman in high school. Hopefully, he excels in the cram course.

Almost as critical is who backs him up when he gets in foul trouble? Niko would seem to be that person. He has the height but he appears to be more of a finesse player rather than a scrapper. He's a good player but can he excel with his back to the basket? If not Niko can Holmen be taught that role? There is plenty of potential with this squad but can they develop fast enough?

I think a problem we may face early is teams will try to send Coleman to the line. He needs to improve his free throw shooting or he will hurt us.

Niko can't be Coleman, ideally he won't be asked to be. Tony is your backup Coleman if necessary. The best thing about our depth this year should be our ability morph into 3 different teams depending upon who's playing together, unlike last year when our bench really only offered a less effective version of what was already on the court.

• Upvote 2