Pony Excess on Netflix streaming if you missed it

Harry

Why in the world are you watching SMU football documentary work????? I lived through the Poney Express and all that followed. It sucked then, it sucks now! It's SMU!! Ha!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My favorite 30 for 30 docs:

10. Four Days in October

9. Winning Time - Reggie Miller vs. New York Knicks

8. The House of Steinbrenner

7. The Best that never was- Marucs DuPree

6. The Legend of Jimmy the Greek

5. Silly Little Game

4. The U

3. Pony Excess

2. The Band Played On

1. Small Potatoes: Who really killed the USFL.

My favorite 30 for 30 docs:

10. Four Days in October

9. Winning Time - Reggie Miller vs. New York Knicks

8. The House of Steinbrenner

7. The Best that never was- Marucs DuPree

6. The Legend of Jimmy the Greek

5. Silly Little Game

4. The U

3. Pony Excess

2. The Band Played On

1. Small Potatoes: Who really killed the USFL.

I'm surprised "Into the Wind" wasn't on your list. It might have been my favorite one. Plus I loved The Two Escobars.

• Upvote 1

What was great about the Pony Excess documentary was seeing how SMU literally thumbed their noses at the NCAA until it was too late. It was also very interesting that it took a huge SMU upset of #2 Texas in Austin that really got the NCAA on their trail. So many non-UT fans believe that the NCAA has always been greatly influenced by Texas, so this actually feeds that thought a little bit. But, the SWC of that day cheated so badly (except Rice, which is why they sucked), that literally nothing could surprise you when it came to recruiting. Of course, the Oklahoma schools did it, too.

I still think the SEC of today probably has lots of skeletons in the closet that would resemble the SWC of yesteryear if they ever get uncovered. The biggest advantage the SEC has with this is that all of its schools are in separate states, so there is less influence from a media outlet standpoint than the SWC had. Literally, the Dallas, Houston, Ft. Worth, San Antonio, and Austin media could "out" all of these Texas programs because the markets they were serving were all big and made up of SWC alums. It couldn't ever get to the Oklahoma schools and their cheating, though. In regards to the SEC, other than Atlanta, no other media market has ever really been that big in the old SEC, and its influence over Georgia and Auburn may have been big, but it wasn't going to get anything on Tennessee, LSU, Alabama, Florida, etc...

Just watched it. I'm speechless. Not just at SMU and the level of egregiousness (the freaking governor of Texas??), but at the entire culture of the SWC as a whole and the culture of football uber alles in the entire state of Texas. I'm all for supporting my school, its program, going out on Saturdays, enjoying some tailgating, and cheering for the team, but if this is what it takes to rise to national prominence (looking at you Southern Cal), then I want nothing to do with it.

I'll take good, clean tier 2 football over that crap any day, and I'll watch it with my head held high.

• Upvote 1

Just watched it. I'm speechless. Not just at SMU and the level of egregiousness (the freaking governor of Texas??), but at the entire culture of the SWC as a whole and the culture of football uber alles in the entire state of Texas. I'm all for supporting my school, its program, going out on Saturdays, enjoying some tailgating, and cheering for the team, but if this is what it takes to rise to national prominence (looking at you Southern Cal), then I want nothing to do with it.

I'll take good, clean tier 2 football over that crap any day, and I'll watch it with my head held high.

You seem surprised?

You seem surprised?

I'm not from these parts. Didn't grow up with it.

Edit: Let me elaborate on that. The closest I ever came to the inside of a football stadium before I was 36 years old and going back to school at UNT was a couple trips to Tightwad Hill above Memorial Stadium in Berkeley for the Cal/Stanford game, and that had nothing to do with football. That was about box wine and a girl named Leslie. Ah, Leslie. I miss her so. Neither my high school nor my college had football at all.

Edited by oldguystudent