"Unprecedented" penalties against Penn State

UNTflyer

Slap_on_the_Wrist.jpg

I dunno Flyer. I keep seeing your slap on the wrist posts and I really want to agree with you. Based on the information I've read on this it kind of reminds me of how they got Capone on tax evasion. Yes on the surface it does seem like a slap but if you look at it over the next 5 years it does seem to be devastating (potentially is the key). I agree that the death penalty would have been more obviously terrible to not play football for two years. I'm waiting to see how many players transfer this year. To me if the floodgates open that will feel more like a penalty to watch them lose 75% of games this year.

So what is the crux of your argument/opinion on this because I'm really curious. Do you feel as though since they can play this season they will just have a few "moments of silence", wear some black wristbands and then amp up the pagentry as SliverEagle likes to say and then - life as usual? Do you feel as though to the general public after a couple of games of "remembrance" it will seem as though nothing has happened and the profits will just continue to pile up regardless of sanctions, penalties etc?

To me we won't know if this is a slap or not until at least 2 or more years.

• Upvote 1

http://gma.yahoo.com/penn-state-sanctions-outrage-grows-over-112-victories-114424670--abc-news-topstories.html

This program deserved soooo much more. Read the denial in these quotes:

Michael Robinson played for the Nittany Lions from 2002-2005 and went on to play for the San Francisco 49ers.

"Jerry was a sick man," Robinson said. "I just don't think that our program is defined by the actions of one sick individual."

"People are thrown under the bus, institutions are thrown under the bus everyday for the bottom line. This is no different," Penn State alum Eric Bernier told ABC News.

"The wins … we didn't cheat in football, that's unnecessary," Penn State student Alex Gibson said Monday.

Someone needs to tell Eric Bernier that a whole bunch of kids were thrown under the bus for Penn St.'s bottom line. But I doubt he would care.

Edited by UNT90

I'm sure many of the victims were Penn St. fans. Hell, they were raised on Penn St. football (one of the things that Sandusky banked on with his grooming techniques, by the way). The vicitms don't decide the punishment, with good reason.

Many children who are sexually abused by a parent or step-parent love that parent, they just don't like the abuse that the parent inflicts. If many had their way, they would be perfectly ok with the abuser remaining in the home if only the abuse would stop. This is but one reason why the abused never decide punishment. That's done by a judge or jury. Why? Because they decide the societal punishment for the convicted.

In this case, the society is the NCAA, the judge and/or jury is Emmert, and the parent still loved by the victim is the Penn St. football program.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1